I can't stand my constant allergies anymore...

Posted , 7 users are following.

They started about 2 years ago. During the day, I'm fine but every night when I wake up in the middle of the night, I have a congested nose and sneezing. In the morning I wake up with a blocked nose and it takes a couple hours to get back to normal.

I had a blood test about a year ago and the doctor told me I had an allergy to birch/birch pollen, but I don't understand why a birch allergy would be all year... He told me there was a pill or a shot available for treatment but wouldn't be suitable for me as I'm a teenager and the side effects would be too overwhelming for younger patients. I can't remember the last time I had a normal night of sleep without waking up and being so uncomfortable.

Most people take a few days to get rid of a cold. I take ages to recover. In fact, I got a cold about a week ago and it has made my allergies so much worse. More congestion, more sneezing, runny nose, and it happens during the day as well.

I'm getting so fed up with it. I just want it gone. I'd do anything for a good night's sleep again. Please, if there's anyone who can tell me what's wrong, if there are any treatments, maybe even someone who is suffering the same symptoms as me, do let me know.

Thank you.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Nicoleb,

I am sorry to hear about your condition. The good news is that allergies can be reversed. Most sicknesses are caused by the immune system being compromised. Try taking steps to build it back up again. A good start is to avoid dairy products and processed foods, while at the same time introducing mostly vegetables and fruits into your diet. I also suggest getting your blood tested as you may be suffering from vitamin and mineral deficiency, which you can correct by taking plant based supplements.  

• Posted

Polaramine works well for me. Drugs up everything. Washing hair daily and changing clothes a must. Spring is worst time 4 me. I have to dry my clothes in a dryer. One with a sensor. Never outside. Best to go outside before 10 am and after 5 pm
    • Posted

Sorry. Typo. Polaramine Dries up mucous 100%
  • Posted

It sounds like you are most affected in your nasal cavaties which is what i have. i am allergic to almost anything green, all pollen, cats, dogs, horses, dust, mold, just everything.  one of the things that helps me is saline rinses. i started with a nettie pot, but then just got really serious and got something at walgreens called a 'SINUBLAST!" It sqirts saline and baking soda up your nose and it comes out your eyeballs!!!   think about this. you walk in the door, and everything you allergic to is on your clothes and in your nose. if it is bad, i immediately take a bath, wash my hair, and use this sinublast and i can tell the difference immediately. the allergen is gone.  i also use those nasal strips at night, ( i put them up kind of high) and it actually opens your nose a bit, and if i am very congested i take muccinex to dry me up. you have to drink water with it though. i have taken 2 benydrl at night for as long as i can remember. i am starting allergy shots after  i get rid of these HIVES which was brought on from drinking cranberry juice. i am beginning to think that immflamation in particular is bad for us and i have started to cut sugar, dairy and processed foods from my diet. i had sinus surgery years ago, so i am kind of stuck with this. but these things really help me. if i wake up at 2;00 am and i have my nose blocked i go for the nose strip and i can actually breathe. If i have a sinus headache, i will do the saline rinse 3 times a day. hopefully you can try some of these little things that really do help..... including changing your clothes after the day and washing your hair!

• Posted

You have had a lot of helpful replies but as you are OK in the day and your major problem occurs at night when you go to bed, from my own experience I would suggest you may be having a problem with your pillows and/or bed linen.  I bought some new pillows recently which gave me the same reaction, (and itching in the back of my head).  I have given the pillows away to family who have no problems with them and am back using my grotty old pillows.  You could try putting a towel (or two) between your head and the pillow to see if this lessens the problem.  You can buy anti allergy pillow casings but I reacted to them even worse than I did to the new pillows.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.