I constantly need attention. Is that a normal symptom of depression?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been living with diagnosed depression for over four years but in reality I have been fighting it since I was eleven (I am twenty three now) and have been with my husband for three years and he knew all about my depression when we got together I had already tried to commit suicide twice. He is twenty one years older than me, and it is not a problem at all but he does have two children under ten who I love but whenever they come to stay (we live in London but his ex wife lives in Dublin so they only come over on school holidays) I get so insanely jealous.

​I mentioned this to my counciler and she said it was rather normal for people with clinical depression to feel like they contantly need attention which my husband nearly always provides apart from when his children are here. But now I am begining to harm myself to get his attention, the most drastic is I delibrately crashed my car into the wall of our garage to make is look like a suicide attempt but was not I just wanted his attention.

​I know it is selfish and silly but no doctors seems to be taking me seriously they just hand me more Amnitripaline (which I am pretty sure does not work but they do not want to change it because I had stopped self halming but I start again as soon as he does not invite on an activity).

​I do not know what to do. The doctors do not care and this is affecting my marriage, plus I am frightened that I might go too far one time.  

​Genuinely need help. Thanks.

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

sorry you feel this way Kate. Love the hair by the way very punk. Maybe the pair of you should try relationship counselling to get how you feel out in the open.
    • Posted

Thankswink the hair is a way of making me feel better when I get down. In a way of 'I cannot possibly be sad I have blue hair!'

• Posted

You stated he offered to go to a session with you BUT. Why the but, he seems to be trying. Let him help. You said he knew what he was getting in to. He could not have been close to knowing but he wanted to be with you. If you never experienced this depression you will not know or understand. You and his children are not to much to love. I know many examples of a man with two or more children, marrying and their wives are immediate step mothers. They are happy. Don't give up .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.