I could use some information, please!

Posted , 14 users are following.

I just had the GL this past Tuesday,  had the catherter removed on Friday, went through what most of you seem to have had, my doctor said there was a lot to remove. I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer.

I have the burning and difficulty starting to urinate, I can live with that but my urine sprays all over the place, I really cant stand up and pee without wetting the entire area. I asked the doc, he seemed not to have any concern about this but I do. I can't use a bathroom and not wet what I'm wearing and everything around me. Makes it impossible to go out knowing I will have to use a bathroom at some point. I have had no really bad or too frequent urges.

I also found a blister on the tip of my penis, again the doctor did not have a concern about this other than saying, it was quite a blister and came from the proceedure. He said to use vasoline for a few days.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I fully understand the problem you are having and can also spend as much time cleaning up afterwards. Will try and sit if having a bad spell of this, and make certain when standing foreskin is pulled well back. Consultants and Nurses make no comment to me either but am prepared to suffer this rather than the pain of a catheter.
    • Posted

Thanks, the sitting was my first idea, just trying to get a sense of how long this might take to resolve itself, I never got a real answer from the doc though he will have the question again in a few days.
    • Posted

Foreskin is not the problem, I tried the pinching technique, just make the spray wider. I'm tired of wiping the floor and walls of my bathroom, so is my wife.

I'll see where I am Monday/Tuesday and call the doctor is no improvement. I know it will get batter, would just like to know en so I can return to a more normal life and go on vacation

• Posted

Use disposable self-catheters wherever and whenever you need to go.

This should solve many of the problems you state. GL takes months to fully recouperate.

• Posted

GL takes a long time to fully recover. To ease your burden in the meantime you should use disposable self-catheters wherever and whenever you need to. Hope this solves your problem.
    • Posted

I appreciate the reply, I really don't want to start with catheters, it's what I wanted to avoid.

The doctors never told me about any side effects beyond some burning and stops and starts.

• Posted

Urologists, in my humble opinion, really understate the possible complicated outcome of prostate procedures.  If I had any idea of the extent and duration of incontinence I would still be living with, 5 months out I would have just lived with getting up 3-5 times per night as long as I could, as long as retention wasn't an issue.  I wish it were a requirement of their specialty training to live for a week in Depends, 24 hours a day and relieving themselves only  in their diapers and pads, and then washing up and changing 6 to 8 times a day.  

• Posted

I think if Uro told you about all the possible complications, it would scare the h**l out of alot of guys, so they hope you're among the few that all goes well. When it doesn't, then they give you the litany of possibilities.

I had a prostate blockage, so my Uro did a "button" turp. The forecast 2 days with a Foley is now 3 weeks with 5 trial voids, still can't void, now he says a supra cath would give me more freedom and be good for bladder retraining.

We all want to get back to a normal life and most of us will, just not in the time frame we had hoped.  Good luck..

• Posted

please forgive my ignorance, but what is GL. But if your urine is like a spray may be if you sit and pee like a woman does then that may minimize the problem or did i misunderstand your problem
  • Posted

The burning and difficulty will ease with time.Not having a straight steam could be somespot swelling in the ureatha.

I have found thru my experience with Urologists, they are not very forth coming about all the possible side effects of procedures. You have to do your homework and be in a position to intelligently question your Uro

• Posted

Thanks and yes, they did not make me aware of too many possible issue and believe me I asked lots of questions, didn't go in like it was going to be easy.

I must say the frequency or lack of it is already much better, the burning will go away. It's the silly spraying, I can't use a restroom unless I can sit down, that wasn't my original plan.

• Posted

I use a lightweight plastic urinal ( 1000 ml size) for males so I can pee standing.  Otherwise, with the Depends down around my knees, I have trouble getting close enough to the toilet.
  • Posted

This won't last for long, just be a bit patient with the issue. I had same problem after my TURP for a week or two. If you are sstanding at the urinal, pull back foreskin and slightly squeeze your penis at penis head so you can aim your stream in right direction and prevent spraying until your urethra cleans from debris that is making your stream to spray widely. You might have small slit at your meatus to widen opening for 26 French respects open to be able to pass thru your penis tip. I had same slit for my TURP.

it will return to normal as it was before surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.