I don't even know what i'm scared of!

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am losing hope, my anxiety is 24/7, i struggle to leave the house and when i'm out fear just zaps through me constantly, i don't know what i'm scared of though.

I'm not scared of any specific bad thing happening, i hate panic attacks of course but i know they are just arenaline and can't harm me so i am logical about them.

I just feel scared for no reason, we were out today again, i force it daily and i just kept thinking 'oh god i'm out, i'm scared', we sat in an indoor play area with the kids an fear was going through me in waves, thinking about how scary 'outside' felt but it's nothing specific.

I am getting phone CBT in 6 weeks but how can it help if i can't even explain what it is that i fear?

I know the only way through it is to keep trying but it feels like it's getting worse every day and i am trying so hard, i just don't know what to do anymore sad

3 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm ok when I'm out with others but I seem to have a fear of going out alone. Today I forced myself to the shop to buy milk alone today and I survived :-).

Hope everyone is getting on OK xx

• Posted

That is brilliant news Kerry, well done, you should be really proud of yourself smile xx
  • Posted

Oh no. Why x
    • Posted

I really struggled with going out today, then I called my CPN who is driving me nuts by not listening to a word I say, I did go out again, felt anxious but did it anyway but now I'm just feeling really stressed, not so much a panic attack at this moment but just overwhelmed and really stressed out xx
    • Posted

CPNs are notoriously dense I think, it typically goes "are you on meds,if not then why not,if not then I can't give you any. If you are then speak to someone else". Any I've ever had to deal with an the most unhelpful people ever
  • Posted

I believe at some point your body will hit a point where it has had enough. Fight or flight is for survival, the body is trying to survive from the fear your mind is percieving. Knowing that at some point the body will become exhausted and stop. Its the same mechanism used by the brain as extreme fear, that is why panic attacks are cyclical. Saying that i beleive you might be having issues with your medications, whether its dosing, withdrawl or just the wrong medication, or not enough. The meds olay a role here.i know you realize that by now. The answer is a blood test and a review of your meds and to be given either new meds to counteract the old meds withdrawl or to wean you off the useless meds. Either way you do need to be reaccessed. I know you have agoraphobia tendincies and its is so heartbreaking that the system is failing you by not sending iut a nurse to take yoyr bloods and re assess you properly, i know you are trying very hard. All that needs to be done so when you begin cbt you are calm enough to absorb it. I would wish you the strgth and courage to be aboe to get to a doctor or even dial up an ambulance so you can get the medical attention you need. It is so unfair and unneccessary for you to be battleing this for this long by yourself. It really is. There is a fix love. There is absolutely a fix but you need to be properly assessed by a medical doctor. if someone told you for a fact that having a dr run blood tests, inclding a chem scan on your blood relating to the meds yoy are on and they could fix this would that help you to go? If you knew you would get better and all this panic would calm down enough for you to manage it. Fear is a potent potent thing. I know that. thats why i say if they dont help you and keep giving you the run around maybe going to a hospital is faster, easier and would be productive. Hospital has to run blood tests on everyone who comes in with issues. I say all this because my father in law, by a series of weird events ended up in a hospital and they saved him, they fixed him. It was a miracle. So im not just airing my own opinion out of nowhere.he just got a doctor who looked a bit deeper into what was happening to him and that dr. Saved and fixed him. It was beautiful. He lived till 91 by the way. So believe me this can all get beter.
  • Posted

Also they don't really give out diazepam anymore for a simple reason that they are very addictive and you need a higher and higher dose for them to work, what would he the worst that could happen of you tried some new medication? Do you think you could feel any worse than you do now?. You are doing amazing and I have no idea how you keep finding the strength to keep going out but you do, many people in you situation would stay at home.

You are stronger and braver than you think you are. Why don't you let the doctor visit you? Try what he suggests and if that doesn't work go back to what you are taking now. I bet he has seen loads of people like you and has ways to help. Xx

• Posted

Thank you, tomorrow I find out when the doctor is going to visit and I will see him, it's a phobia of new meds for me, years ago I tried lots of different ones and had some pretty awful experiences so that haunts me a lot but I know I have to do something, I can't stay like this xx
    • Posted

I've just been referred for cbt over the phone too after my initial assessment this morning x

• Posted

I've never really had anxiety until a few months ago when I had a huge panic attack for no reason. I couldn't even describe what I was anxious about from then on, but it was just a general feeling. I was put on meds and I am seeing a therapist weekly which is CBT based with a few other things. Within the hour he had figured out that it was triggered by something that happened when I was 4!!!! It has honestly worked wonders for me, so stay positive!!!!
    • Posted

I'm so glad the therapy has been so helpful, it sounds like you have an excellent therapist there.

I'm trying so hard to stay hopeful but it's difficult at the moment, anxiety has troubled me for years but never to this extent, it's consuming my whole life at the moment.

• Posted

I hope you respond to this even if it is a year later. Did you ever get better.  I am having severe anxiety and need hope.  I am trying every avenue to get better, but still have it.  Please write back and let me knw ow you are doing.

• Posted

Hi greentea30029,

I wouldn't say I got better to the extent that I live without anxiety but certainly I can say there have been times when life has been easier than it was before and the anxiety has eased to a less severe state for periods of time.

I still take the medication I was on previously but I decided not to add anything else in the end, mostly because I was simply too scared to.

I had CBT, it was helpful, it did not cure me but it helped me to cope and feel like there was a chance that I could have a better life one day, it also helped me to identify the causes and triggers for my anxiety ad made me realise how easily I can actually talk myself into a costant state of panic without meaning too because I ultimately conclude in my own mind that the worst level of panic will always happen.

My situation was further complicated late last year when I was diagnosed with anorexia, my CBT had to stop, my BMI was at 15.8, my cognitive functions became impaired and remain that way despite being weight restored.

But as for the anxiety I think the better times I have had have been purely down to being very willing to suffer it day in day out and refuse to give up trying, it's not easy at all but this time last year I was screaming my head off just allowing my husband to drive me out of our street, this year I have been on trips with him that have covered 100's of miles, I have seen things I never thought I would see in my whole life and allowed myself to be driven as a passenger on busy motorways that I refused to go on for almost two decades of my life, I will sit there thinking 'be rational, it is just a road,nothing else'.

I still have a great deal of fear though, this time of year with sunny days and warmer weather coming are difficult, they always have been and I am terrified that it will all get badly out of hand again but I continously remind myself that my only requirement is to get through the next 5 minutes, focus on that, not the days,weeks, months etc, just the very immediate future.

I am going to be having CBT again now that my weight is restored but it is a 12 week wait it's actually a very good waiting time but of course 12 weeks feels like a long time when you are scared and feel like your life is about to cave in on you again.

I do believe that CBT has played a hugely positive part in my life but it is something I have needed to repeat and revisit and will probably need to keep doing that for the rest of my life, not that I mind because it does make things more tolerable but I did learn not to expect a complete cure from it, it can have a very subtle effect even if it is a positive one.

I have had high level anxiety for most of my adult life but the complete breakdowns only started about 18 months ago and apart from the dieting there was nothing else going on to provoke it to become so severe, all I know is that I am hyper sensitive to stress, I cannot avoid stress but I do try to make sure that I am looking after myself when it hits.

I eat properly now even though it's extremely difficult, I do things that are purely good for me, I force at least an hour of downtime daily, that hour is mine, it is for listening to music or doing anything else I enjoy, my therapist said this is vital, even if you are hysterical with anxiety and it feels impossible, you absolutely have to keep trying to train your brain to shut off, eventually it works but it requires a lot of practice and patience.

And I talk about it, endlessly at times, I have a list of helplines and I use them, it's an incredibly useful way to vent my negative feelings.

I have a hug determination to survive these days, I almost gave up and at my worst state of anorexia I was told that if I did not accept help I would be dead in 6 months, my first thought was 'Thank god for that!' but then I got angry, I did not deserve to die nor did I deserve to suffer and honestly I think that anger was another thing that saved me.

I use that anger a lot even now but I also try to use the rational thinking I was taught in CBT, the 'What is the worst thing that could happen?' type of thinking, well I will panic, I will feel awful but that will be it, nothing else can happen and I think that helps a lot too.

I cannot see a day ahead where I will be free of this, I still need my husband there to leave my house, I still worry and wake up thinking 'not this again' but because I have survived so much with chronic anxiety I have good reason to believe I would survive it again.

I hope you find a way to get some relief but please believe me when I say yes it can get better, I also think the more pressure we put on ourselves to get better the harder it is.

I used to test myself, force myself to go out feeling anxious even if I didn't need to go out because I thought I was doing the right thing but I was making myself worse, good luck, it can get better but I think it is a case of fiding something that helps and repeating it over and over if you have to and of course self care, that is very important, eat, hydrate, do things for yourself, that can only benefit your well being.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.