I drink everyday, do I have a problem?

Posted , 11 users are following.

As with a lot of people, I enjoy the odd drink, my father was an alcoholic and having recently become a father myself, it's caused a reflective state of mind on how I handle myself and my habits. And the main thing I worry about is am I an alcoholic, and if so how can I get my way off these tracks, and if not, how can I keep it that way.

I'm 27, I work hard everyday, I would happily admit I'm addicted to coffee, and drink ridiculous amounts a day. Alcohol for me, I don't binge drink, I don't drink in excess at a given time, but I do have a small 330ml can of beer EVERY day, which at a maximum will be two, if it's a holiday or a special occasion. From what I have experienced through my father I would be inclined to say, I'm not on the heavy end of the scale, but then again, what makes me worry is the fact that I habitually have a can of beer everyday, if you were to ask me when was the last time I felt drunk, I couldn't say, because I never let myself get past the 'well that was a nice little treat' phase, but at the same time if you were to ask me when was the last time I had gone a day without having a drink, I equally couldn't tell you, because a small can after dinner has become such a habitual routine that it is a part of daily life.

I don't live in the UK anymore and it is night here and I need to get to bed ready for an early morning and therefore won't be able to read or reply to anything in the immediate time frame, but will be interested to read what people have to say / recommend when I wake up.

Thank you for taking the time to read,

John

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

John I don't think you have anything to worry about, well I certainly don't think you have. 1 small can of beer daily to me is fine.

You often see and hear journalists interviewing pensioners who've reached 100 saying a double whiskey, or any spirit daily or a glass if sherry a day. Enjoy your can/cans and don't worry. Congratulate yourself.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply!

I have had very little free time recently but have written a reply to all those who replied to my post, I hope you have the time to read it, thank you again.

• Posted

I wouldn't say so John. I'd imagine it might be even better than drinking a can of coca cola everyday lol

• Posted

I have had very little free time recently but have written a reply to all those who replied to my post, I hope you have the time to read it, thank you again.

• Posted

I would have to agree with the other replies. Sounds like you're doing pretty well.

• Posted

• Posted

Wow 1 can I wish that's all I drank daily I do 6-8 440ml 5%

• Posted

• Posted

Nah..you don't have a problem...by 27 I was entering my first detox facility....I have always been able to spot an alcohoic..I am an alcoholic...and in my experience...everyone that had a problem with alcohol...developed the problem earlier in life...I started knowing I had a problem at 17...and I was the only one in my group of friends..that always wanted more to drink....long after others had moved on.

My youngest son is 27..and he doesn't have a drink daily..but 1x a week and 2 drinks at the pub with friends that drink way more than 2 drinks.  My oldest is a herioin addict..I think my oldest got the "addiction gene"...You seem to be doing fine...enjoy your beer...like someone else said I wish I could.

If I drank a beer right now (its almost dinner), I wouldn't be eating dinner and I would go to bed..12 cans later.

• Posted

I have written a reply aimed generally at all the replies, but a part of what you mentioned in your post rang true with part of me that was causing the worry, so I hope you have the time to read it, thank you again.

• Posted

You are fine from the sounds of it. You also clearly have control and dont drink to get off your face so to speak. If it bugs you, just maybe do something different a few nights a week. Go for a walk, make your wife and family a special dessert after dinner or something?Its good to talk about how you feel though do keep in touch
    • Posted

Hi Sharon,

I have had very little free time recently but have written a reply to all those who replied to my post, despite the more positive than I expected feedback, you recommendation really helped me to create a tool to push them voices of doubt back and I will make sure that I stick to a routine doing such. I hope you have the time to read the reply I wrote, thank you again.

• Posted

Things are not good for me right now in so many ways. I cant eat and have basically drank so much that i have lost count. Im vomiting bile i think. I sound like an amazing person to be with eh? Its taking every single part of me to even write this. I glad i was able to somehow help you. though in my own way, keep in touch
  • Posted

Hi John,Just read your post.Absolutely nothing to worry about. Everyday, so what! You are completely in control,i commend you for this. Almost 12 weeks dry(early days),but doin fine at the moment. Couldn't imagine ever in my life be able to do that. With my history,i look up to you cheesygrin

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.