I drink everyday, do I have a problem?

Posted , 11 users are following.

As with a lot of people, I enjoy the odd drink, my father was an alcoholic and having recently become a father myself, it's caused a reflective state of mind on how I handle myself and my habits. And the main thing I worry about is am I an alcoholic, and if so how can I get my way off these tracks, and if not, how can I keep it that way.

I'm 27, I work hard everyday, I would happily admit I'm addicted to coffee, and drink ridiculous amounts a day. Alcohol for me, I don't binge drink, I don't drink in excess at a given time, but I do have a small 330ml can of beer EVERY day, which at a maximum will be two, if it's a holiday or a special occasion. From what I have experienced through my father I would be inclined to say, I'm not on the heavy end of the scale, but then again, what makes me worry is the fact that I habitually have a can of beer everyday, if you were to ask me when was the last time I felt drunk, I couldn't say, because I never let myself get past the 'well that was a nice little treat' phase, but at the same time if you were to ask me when was the last time I had gone a day without having a drink, I equally couldn't tell you, because a small can after dinner has become such a habitual routine that it is a part of daily life.

I don't live in the UK anymore and it is night here and I need to get to bed ready for an early morning and therefore won't be able to read or reply to anything in the immediate time frame, but will be interested to read what people have to say / recommend when I wake up.

Thank you for taking the time to read,

John

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I would like to thank you all for your replies and input, I am very relieved to hear what you all have to say and feel a bit of a weight of worry been lifted, I was scared to post on here but glad I did. I have to say I especially connected with what at 6Missy2 said. my father was an alcoholic, as was his father and his mother and his brother, as well as my mothers father and some of her brothers, so if the 'alcoholic gene' exists or not I do not know but the fear of that is certainly what fueled a lot of my worry.

Also, despite the positive replies, to take that extra step I think I will take up 3sharon7979 's recomendation and try and take at least one night a week where I do something for the wife or daughter that purposely gets in the way of having a drink, I think that will certainly help me get rid of that doubtful voice in the back of my head.

Thank you again for all the replies. I hope I can help in the future for someone else's problems/ doubts as much as you all have helped me.

• Posted

Good for you John. I think that's a great idea. Family is everything. Alcohol can make us tend to forget that.

• Posted

I'm glad that the replies you've had have helped put your mind at rest.

Good for you deciding to have a night free of alcohol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.