I drink everyday & i don't consider myself an alcoholic

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am a 48 year old man and on average i drink about 10 bottles of wine a week. i feel fine look fine & am very healthy, but in gov stats im an alcoholic. 

Why is this, i work abroad alot (Spain) where wine consumption is the norm.

I exercise 5hrs a week my weight in 11 to 11 1/2 stone. If i drink white or rose wine i make them spirtzers 3rd sparkiling water, 3rd wine & a 3rd ice, if i drink red then i drink a glass of still water with each glass. I also drink good beer maybe 20 to 30 bottles instead of wine for 3 days a week & drink the same amount of water with each bottle, i never have a hangover, feel slugish. i dont eat junk food drink tea or coffee or popfizz drinks i only eat freash foods no packets or takeaways i make my own. So tell me is my life style wrong?

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

How do you know that your heavy drinking is not damaging your liver? Just because you feel like superman doesn't mean that your liver is fine. Carry on drinking at this level and you will harm yourself, but hey that's your problem not mine..

i can guess why you started this discussion (denial ) but as you are so well why bother starting a discussion.

there are many people on this forum who freely admit they are alcohol dependant and live 1 day at a time. Then you come along saying you can drink what you like as you have such a healthy diet and life. You are not helping anyone with your ramblings as you don't have any problems. You can't help or offer advise to anyone who is trying

• Posted

Sorry iPad crashed!

/cont. 

to to give up alcohol as you don't know anything personal about alcohol probs, unlike the rest of us who freely admit our failings.

best you stick to candy crush!

• Posted

As a fairly new subscriber to this forum and someone who is benefiting from reading/sharing information about alcohol dependency, I have to say that I find this thread completely unhelpful.

You must understand that the majority of people on this site are vulnereable and either struglling with or in early stages of recovery from alcohol abuse or people who have lived through and mercifully come through alcohol dependency, or health workers who simply wish to support those of us seeking help.

Whilst I value all opinions and you do make some valid points, this particular forum is not the place to air them. If I'm honest, I would classify you as a troll, as there is no merit to what you are arguing for the majority of us on here. Your claims about drinking excessively and maintaining a healthy lifestyle do not help those of us with our own struggles who have/are coming to terms with our alcohol dependency and are seeking to change our lifestyle. Many of us have that Evil Alcohol Fairy in our head telling us "it's ok to have a drink" which we battle with daily - your boasts only reinforce the "if he can do it so can i" which in reality is not true for the majority of us who drink heavily.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Im just pointing out you can live a healthy life will drinking as what people call heavy use, perhaps it is the wrong place to air my views but freedom of speech is my right. as for being a Troll do you honestly believe i should face up to  2 yr imprisonment for my nasty views? i have air my views on diet & health sites & have never been rude to anyone. Unlike some people who love a bit of name calling & anger mob can be an ugly thing. If there are people like me out there who have my kind of lifestyle why shouldnt we say hang on a min im OK & perhaps it could be helpful to some not all but some. My mums father died at 41 through drink i never knew him, but he never left the pub he was a docker in london. I drink but dont do any other piosons choc's hydrinated veg oil, prosessed foods, crisps, smoke ( i use to) & i exersise 1hr a day. If you feel im not helping then you do not have to join in.
    • Posted

Feel your not helping??  That's the most bizzare comment you've come out with so far, are you eating shiny beans out there in ibiza or something?  Maybe it's all part of your candy crush obsession,( just so you know it's not really candy) is your hour exercise thumb pumping on candy crush with one hand and large stemmed wine glass lifting with the other?

I've changed your name by the way..  CHUNKY THUMBS LOL 😂 

• Posted

I don't consider the amount of alcohol you consume daily is a healthy lifestyle. You come across as being concerned about your drinking (why else would you be on the alcohol forum), but are trying to justify it by repeating your exercise regime. A healthy diet of fresh food, the gym, going without alcohol for a few days and feeling fine. Be careful what you wish for, as IMO and others alcohol will take over. Make sure you have an emergency supply of aftershave. I also think your perception of someone dependant on alcohol is wrong. We don't sit on park benches, we don't rumage in bins, don't stop people asking for money for a hot drink. Some people like yourself function well, even though they freely admit to being alcohol dependant and drink less than you.
  • Posted

Well I guess u got it all figured out. Nothing new we have all heard before.

I'm inspired by so many who tried to help you! I wish my son had all the advice you have been so fortunate to get here, when he needed it so desperately!

My son was very much like u..

Read my story of my son..he is now in the 3rd stage of kidney failure. He looks great in good shape too, as UR pic shows u . It's what's going on in the inside...it does effect every organ in the body.

Alcohol controls the mind......the addiction.....

HOPE4CURE

• Posted

Well said Hope4Cure. Reading between the lines, I think he realises how much he's drinking, and is trying to justify it by saying how fit he is and doesn't have a problem.

By drinking that amount of alcohol daily, he will, if not already, become dependant on alcohol

• Posted

I LOVE this post!  

First of all, I am not permitted to tell anyone else if they are an alcoholic or not.  With that being said...10 bottles of wine a week is a good start.  

Please remember, no matter where you are my friend, be it Spain, France, UK or US...10 bottles of wine is 10 bottles of wine.  No matter where you go, there you are.  

My oppinion is...that's a LOT my friend.  

PS.  Maybe consider why you logged on to this site to ask everyone else is if your consumption was okay.  

• Posted

Everyone is an expert on this and everyone seems to have an opinion. The internet has very low guidelines to this. But the truth is there is no formula as it varies from person to person.

My uncle is 77 years old lives in Germany. He smoked cigars all his life until about 5 years ago. He always has 2 bottles of beer each night and a bottle of wine. He is a professor at a university and gets up early every day. He has had his liver tested and 100% normal.

I typically drink 3 to 4 nights a week with light beer maybe 8-10 bottles. It does affect my sleep a bit but not my days. I am in good health no issues what so ever.

I really belive its your genetics AND your lifestyle. Typically people who drink do not eat well. And people who eat healthy typically do not drink. So its impossible to conclude anything.

My judgement is if you eat healthy, excersise and typically are not hungover then I see no issues what so ever.

• Posted

I think you wouldn't be asking if there wasn't some part of you pretty nervous about your reality. I tell myself all this too...still think I drink too much.

• Posted

Feeling shame from societies new found fixation on "rehabilitation" reality shows? Perhaps this culture is not the same in Spain, they don't exploit mental illness like some societies..perhaps.

What I feel is that you've enjoyed a bit more alcohol than is recommended and maybe you'd like some validation for your choices. I too drink more than the recommended amount, but that's usually every few months, not all the time. Furthermore, I absolutely do not need to justify my actions with a culture or country. People will always judge you and you will judge yourself. Take a couple days off drinking and slow down the amount of bottle to 5-8 a week. Not to prove anything, just try something different.

• Posted

Feeling shame from societies new found fixation on "rehabilitation" reality shows? Perhaps this culture is not the same in Spain, they don't exploit mental illness like some societies..perhaps.

What I feel is that you've enjoyed a bit more alcohol than is recommended and maybe you'd like some validation for your choices. I too drink more than the recommended amount, but that's usually every few months, not all the time. Furthermore, I absolutely do not need to justify my actions with a culture or country. People will always judge you and you will judge yourself. Take a couple days off drinking and slow down the amount of bottle to 5-8 a week. Not to prove anything, just try something different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.