I drink everyday & i don't consider myself an alcoholic

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am a 48 year old man and on average i drink about 10 bottles of wine a week. i feel fine look fine & am very healthy, but in gov stats im an alcoholic. 

Why is this, i work abroad alot (Spain) where wine consumption is the norm.

I exercise 5hrs a week my weight in 11 to 11 1/2 stone. If i drink white or rose wine i make them spirtzers 3rd sparkiling water, 3rd wine & a 3rd ice, if i drink red then i drink a glass of still water with each glass. I also drink good beer maybe 20 to 30 bottles instead of wine for 3 days a week & drink the same amount of water with each bottle, i never have a hangover, feel slugish. i dont eat junk food drink tea or coffee or popfizz drinks i only eat freash foods no packets or takeaways i make my own. So tell me is my life style wrong?

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Drinking that amount of alcohol per week is not healthy. As Paul says why don't you have no alcohol for a week and see how you feel. Alcohol creeps up on you without you realising it. So the 10 bottles turn I to 11, 12 ect. In my case 2 glasses of wine with dinner soon turned into a bottle and I then started having a couple of drinks before my meal as well. Before I knew it I was having a couple of glasses at lunchtime and could drink a couple of bottles a day. If you feel strange and anxious after a week of not drinking why not ask your GP for an LFT test. Whilst at the moment you may not be physically dependant, you could be psychologically dependant.
    • Posted

I sometimes dont drink for a week or 2 & feel no diff. I the summertime i can easy drink a couple of bottles rose spritzers. its sounds like you started drinking  for some reason other than socializing. In Spain every bar cafe etc offer a meal of the day(by LAW) its so the working man gets a cheap lunch good idea no JUNK FOOD , aioli & bread, olives then a soup or salid starter main & dessert & a FREE bottle of wine & water with it for about a fiver. We all eat it then go back to work no probs. i only drink half the wine, then in the evening with dinner & til i go to bed another bottle. Now to me & the Meds that is not exsesive.
    • Posted

I still like social drinking with wine. I lived in Moraira in Spain for two years, so I know what you mean. Food is fresh and tasty so no need for junk food. Yes you are right, from being a social drinker I started to use alcohol to help with anxiety which it did for a while. 
  • Posted

I seriously don't understand why you have even posted this message,  you don't seem remotely concerned about your alcohol intake and for the time being are not experiencing the sufferance you will inevitably begin to feel at some point during your drinking.

I have some experience with alcoholism and how I came to realise I was an alcoholic was when I started to ask people.. Do you think I'm an alcoholic? 

I detect that you are on phase one of realising this for yourself... Or did you accidentally click on this page whilst playing candy crush one evening? 

I wish you all the best and if it's true that you are not experiencing any issues affecting your life, not just your body.. Your life, appointments, getting up late, mood swings,  anything, then you are very lucky and I suggest you do a week alcohol free and see if you feel the same,

If you do, high 5! There is no reason for you to ever drink again... And I wish I was you :-)

• Posted

I WISH PEOPLE WOULD READ POST BEFORE MAKING COMMENTS. 

And rudenes like i play candy crush are so childish. Like i said the Meds drink the same as me & are living longer than the UK. If you think 1 1/2 maybe 2 bottle of wine will as you put it you "experiencing the sufferance will inevitably begin to feel at some point during your drinking". Sorry i dont buy into that, & with of without  BOOZE i feel the same AMAZING

• Posted

I had no intention of being rude and I apologise if you feel this way,  I was simply questioning how you could come to 'stumble' across such a page. I was making light of the situation with the candy crush thing

Chantelle 

• Posted

Oh and for the record,  Im nearly 40,  I have delivered 7 children,  I'm a glamour model and still getting work, I too look amazing.. On the outside. But I am an alcoholic,  and funnily enough I drink less than you
    • Posted

I think you probably wound some people up by bragging that you drink a lot and are loving it and feeling physically good smile Many people are here to talk about alcohol problems that they are really strugling with and perhaps you are rubbing their nose in it a little smile
    • Posted

OK i am probably being insensitive to people with problems & i am sorry for that & apologize i never meant any harm. I was pointing out my opinion of the gov new scaremongering or scare tactics. I would like to add that i stopped the lager cos i put on 2 stone & swiched to wine spritzers. i can drink beer again but only bottles & good beers like Warsteiner., but am striaght on the treed mill the next day,  this may not work for you but if you feel the need try 3 parts sparkling to 1 part wine when in the pub you are still ther but not on an orange juice. Watching gazza on tv where every event he went to was surrounded by Drinker having a photo with him when he couldnt have one well that must be hell., & like he said he is never happy anymore. So im probably wrong but it may help you get through that kind of situation. THIS WILL BE MY LAST POST, i hope i didnt offend & if i did SORRY
  • Posted

Two bottles of wine per day is too much, fact. You keep saying that's normal for med people. We must see different parts of spain. Most of the menus del dia I had don't include bottles of wine, some maybe a glass. It's strange how you seem to be the only person who doesn't think your intake is fine.
  • Posted

Every alcoholic has an 'excuse' apparently yours is Spain? 

I have been to Spain several times and drank a few bottles of wine over a fortnight but nothing to write about,  Portugal on the other hand drink wine constantly,  alcoholics. 

I've travelled the globe with my children,  watched the habits of many cultures and not one of them had led me to my situation of drinking on a regular basis of an evening in secret,  I have no excuse but my own choice to do so.

I was in Egypt for 6 weeks last Xmas all inclusive and didn't touch a drop, I was in Barbados for 3 weeks in march all inclusive and didn't touch a drop,  you have no idea how quickly it smacks you in the face.

I don't wish that upon you but I feel I have gathered enough information to be able to advise you a simple fact, you are an alcoholic and if you think you can just stop all by yourself then do so. If not locate your nearest aa meeting and just sit in and listen x

• Posted

What part of Spains gives you a bottle well i live in Ibiza & the meal of the day place i use is OXO near Santa Eulairlia. i explained why i started this this discusion already, read the post it was about the gov picking on drinker again draining the NHS.

You seem to thing that cos you have drink probs then i have, & my Liver i would like to point out this Keith Floyd one of my HEROS. Despite his illness and heavy drinking, his liver was working at 100% capacity. Now he used to say 1 bottle of wine just isnt enough 2 is to much, but he did neck a few scotches in between as well. As for computer game please do you think i have time for them i dont realy  watching TV only Sport. I go to lovely beach bar watch the sunset eat diner in  wonderful Grill Bars eating amazing steaks & fish, then take a beautiful walk home through the lovely pine forest that saturate the island. Sorry but i have no issues i & i never sit in doors thinking oh no i need a drink i need a drink & neck a bottle of aftershave, & im not putting anyone down with a drink prob i hope they get the help they need, im say you can drink & be merry without havin probs.

• Posted

Maybe you should start a new discussion on a different forum, ie healthy eating or fitness or Ibiza forum on trip advisor.

You obviously don't have a problem with alcohol so why you are on this forum puzzles me.

Your comment about people sitting inside wanting a drink and necking a bottle of aftershave is insulting and utter bull...t

Your comment about people

Your comment about

• Posted

Amazing fish and steaks in ibiza lol, highly unlikely or rather we have far different standards,  I worked in ibiza for years, its a drug and drink fuelled haven for ravin.

As for Keith Floyd, aside from glamour modelling I am a qualified chef, I adored the man, he too was an alcoholic and died of a heart attack probably down to his alcohol intake,  it's not all about the liver for the record.

So far we've established you love to drink every day,  you believe that you live a healthy lifestyle ( which I can let you in on a little secret here.. YOU DONT)

Your convinced your Mr invincible and you believe you do not have an alcohol problem and candy crush just p*sses you right off!

The only thing we're yet to establish is why the hell are you on a page full of people who have recognised this awful disease and are ( in my case and probably most others) desperate for a way out and back to healthy clean living, are you mocking us? Do you presume were weak because you have not YET been afflicted with the symptoms we go through?  

You have NOTHING constructive to add to this page, your comments are most unwelcome and I suggest you take up friggin candy crush and return when the alcohol you so LOVE to drink bites you right on the arse and you need actual advice... Which for the record.. YOU WILL

• Posted

Brilliant lol! Chantelle you made me laugh out loud with you're above reply. Well said
    • Posted

Hehehe,  needed saying babe, that was a toned down version of what I wanted to write,  

Maybe he'll get the message and join candycrushanonymous.. You know.. Just to see what all the fuss is about lol 😁 x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.