I feel alone the pain can't cope I feel like going hospital

Posted , 8 users are following.

I Ave cts in both my left mild and my right is now moderate to severe it's the constant pain I can't deal with ......waiting to to hear if more injections or operate ....I feel like I am moaning all the time tried different tablets sick of takin them ... tried cream no effect .... pulling my hair out do I go to walk in tell them can't cope or wit till Monday push what's happening so fed up crying and down ... feel like a softy

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Can u be put to sleep rather than just freeze
    • Posted

Most surgeons do carpal tunnel decompressions under local anaesthetic because it's safer than a general, as well as getting you in and out of hospital quicker. JB

• Posted

Responding to Jeremy bland'a comment, I read that you ALREADY had explored your options. You've had the EMG, have worn splints, tried injections and pain pills that didn't help much. I suggested you ask your surgeon what his suggestion is and IF he was for the surgery then go for it. Yes, there are surgerys that fail, but that is a chance you take with any type of surgery. I and another commenter here are just trying to calm your fear about surgery now that your ready. As far as anesthesia, my Dr. used a general but I've heard Dr.'s that use that or a local. Also, if you can find a Dr. skilled in doing it endoscopically that would be a better choice. Faster healing, less recovery, less invasive and quicker procedure.

• Posted

As I said - it's a bit more complicated than it might at first appear to someone who has just had a successful operation and we do not really have enough information in the thread to make such definitive recommendations. We don't know what steroid dose was tried or when, nor what the NCS results really showed, nor what other pathology might be complicating the decision. 

Reassurance about surgery is fine and a good counter to the many horror stories that you find on the web. What you are doing in the above posting however is giving medical advice on the handling of a particular case by recommending endoscopic surgery. You will note, if you read my comments in this thread that I have made very few hard recommendations as to what should be done here. The only suggestion I have made is that splints should be properly fitted and used - which is a harmless intervention that can safely be used for first aid in CTS by anyone. I would not, as a qualified mdical practitioner, give more definite advice without knowing everything about the case that I could.

Blanket recommendations for endoscopic surgery are not really justified by the medical evidence - read the Cochrane review which is freely available to the general public. On the whole people should stick with whatever technique their surgeon is familiar and comfortable with. How much carpal tunnel surgery your surgeon does is much more important than what technique they use. Dr Jeremy Bland

• Posted

I beg to differ but my surgeon has published a paper on his use of Endoscopic surgery and he has done in excess of 1500 of them with a 100% success rate and has published the results related to the more successful outcomes. He also is in the minority of Dr.'s who use this method as, in his opinion, Dr.'s are leary of newer methods due to the risks of their doing it wrong. Yes, you need to find someone skilled in this method. Perhaps you could focus on this person's problem instead of picking apart every comment I make. I don't believe I've given him medical advice, just options to look into himself. And encouragement to not be afraid to take the surgery option with the possible outcome of living without the pain. It sounds like he's been told he has CTS as well as the severity through an EMG which is the same protocol used here. The next step would be exploring the injections and pain killers and splinting which he has. The next logical step is speaking to a surgeon which I recommended. I lived with this for many more years than I needed to when the surgery was available and safe and regret that. Of course I'm going to extol the virtues of surgery.

So, here's what you're looking for so you can focus elsewhere.

I am not a medical Dr. and am not giving medical advice or treatments that you should follow. That is for your Dr. to do. I am simply telling you my experience with this problem and what I would do if in your shoes.

• Posted

I'm not picking apart every comment you make - simply balancing some of your unfounded assertions with a slightly more informed overview of the issues. I know of no surgeon who has managed 1500 carpal tunnel operations for example with a documented 100% success rate (though that depends a little on how you define 'success'wink. Individual patient stories are fine but the way you phrase yours can come across as definite advice. Your rider at the end of that last comment is welcome. Thankyou. JB

• Posted

Dear gedc,

Good luck in whatever you choose to do. I'm signing out because I comment on this site to share my own experiences and possibly help someone else, not to get into a word game with the resident Dr.

I wish you the best, follow your Dr.'s advice and your own best judgement!

• Posted

I hope you insist you cant take the pain & need the surgery. My pain was gone instantly after surgery.

• Posted

Yeah sure have waiting to hear from hospital now xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.