I feel like no one is really there for me

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm 19 and have been suffering from depression, anxiety and binge eating disorder for the past 7 months and I am currently taking fluoxitine 20mg. I started taking the pills about a month ago and whilst I am starting to see some benefits, i.e. some positive days, I am still quite up and down in my mood and when I feel bad, I feel really bad. My anxiety plays up, and then I become either extremely sad, numb or angry. What has made me feel worse recently is the fact that no one seems to really care. I mean, my family know that I am taking anti depressants but they don't truly seem to listen to me, instead I get the feeling that they think I am over exaggerating. For example, if I try to open up about my insecurities (which is one of the reasons I have become so depressed) they disregard it as a phase every teenager goes through, when in actually fact it has made me self loathe and hate who I am. My older sister who is also clinical depressed even said that my feelings are 'moderate' and that you can only truly know if you are depressed if you have kids. But the worst thing is, people have seen me on a positive day and so expect me to just 'snap out' of it when im feeling my worst. I don't expect anyone to understand, I would just like to know people care and will be there for me no matter what.

The thing that has got to me the most recently is that I believe that I give more than I receive, meaning I seem to care for people more than they care for me. For example, my closest friend found out her boyfriend cheated on her recently, and despite my own issues, I was there for her, day or night, comforting her and making sure she didn't feel alone- something I wouldnt wish upon anyone. I have experienced nights when I just cry because i feel so lonely and hate my own company, which is why I was more than willing to be on the phone to her all night even if she protested. I would send her little quotes to make herself feel better about herself because I know what its like to have your confidence knocked. But when Ive been down, she doesn't stay up with me or make nowhere near as much effort as I do. It pains me to say that because I am aware of how selfish it sounds- but I am not saying I wouldn't do any of that stuff again for her because I would and will continue to do so. I guess I would just like someone to be there for me in that way. I've given up on trying to open up to my other friends because they don't get how bad I feel or why i feel that bad. I feel like i need to pretend im happy all the time because i dont want to be seen as miserable. I just feel so lost and empty and I have had enough of trying to reach out to people.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm 50. Lost a great career and went through my retirement funds. Now I lost my house. I have no one. I have no money. Spending Thanksgiving alone. I've been through doctors like water trying to find one doctor or therapist that will listen and not tell me to just suck it up and fight it. My brain swirls a million miles a minute and won't slow down. My anxiety has caused insomnia. No problems following asleep but imagine waking up over and over at night with heart palpitations, and anxiety attacks. Went to 2 different therapists. Neither one seems to get it. They listen and fake sympathy but I leave their office feeling nothing. Saw a psychiatrist and due to seizures he prescribed me gabapentin. Said if I got my neurologist to say in was "seizure" free that he would consider giving me something else besides gabapentin. I've been diagnosed with A DVD and OCD but no one wants to even attempt any medication. None for my anxiety either. All I want is a good night of sleep, to exercise regularly and live my life. I can't exercise without sleep but I know if I could start running again it would be a huge benefit. Lack of sleep causes seizures. So now what? Im stucm in this endless circle of no sleep, work, and fighting my depression. Why cNg I find one doctor willing to listen and figure out what my issue is? I want my life back. I am not a druggie but if there is a medication to give me life back why are these doctors not helping me? Is it me? I want to run and bike again but I'm so tired and so anxiety ridden i have no life!! It would be so easy to wrap a scarf around my neck, hook it to a door knob and lean forward, cutting off my circulation and slowly fading out of existence. Why wont these so called "professionals" listen? I have insurance im asking for help nand I get nothing! I need help!!!! Why will no one listen?????

• Posted

Hey dude, your question seems so like what I feel right now. I know how it feels, to be very honest. I cry at times just for no reason and no one really cares or that's what I feel. Everyone is so busy in themselves. I want to be blunt, cause I care way too much for others. I want to be happy and I also want to ignore people but I cannot do that unlike others. Reading your description of depression really helped me. Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.