I found out I have bronchiectasis after I got my Respitory Therapist license

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am very sad to have this disease in my lower right lobe and I do not know if I can go ahead and look for a job now. I think no one will hire me when there are not enough jobs here in san diego on the first place. Even though I have my RRT certification, the teachers did not focus in this disease as they did to asthma and emphysema. Now I have hard time to breath from the right side

Of my nose. Please any help, because I do not think it is a wise idea to work with cardiopulmonary diseases where many patients sever from infections.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Bela

Ihavehad bronchiectasis in one lower lobe but I work, and have worked as Registered Nurse without any problems for nearly 50 years.

I have to admit to living in the UK. You should not normally pass infections on to other people unless you have an acute cold, flu or gastroenteritis.

Do not be disheartened and possibly speak to a colleague.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I am 52 years old and it is very hard to find a job. I been sending my resume all over and there is no respose. I am thinking to start volunteer first but before anyone except me , he has to get a proof of how healthy I am. It is different to have a disease and you are already have a job and looking for a job with disease and without experience. I was one of honor and reward student in my class. I hope I find a job in sleep apnea department which I think less dealing with very sick patients
    • Posted

i was a post lady for 20 years before i retired 12 years ago and the fresh air and exercise helped me keep my lungs clear, i had very little time of work.  my bronchiectasis as i have got older is now in both lungs but with all the medication out there to day i can still leave a fairly active life.
  • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear this Bela. The timing seems terrible.

But I agree with you, you shouldn't work anywhere where there are patients with infections. Your health absolutely comes first. Don't put yourself in any situations where it might not, even though jobs are hard to come by. 

• Posted

Hi Bela,

What a coincidence; I also live in San Diego and I have Bronchiectasis in my lower right lobe as well. 

Have you thought about wearing a mask if you are dealing with a patient who is ill?

I think it's a great idea to volunteer at a place where you might be interested in working. If a position opens up, you could be more likely to get it.

I hope everything works out for you and maybe I will see you around town 😄.

Ida

• Posted

Thank you so much for all support. I am very active. I love gardening, walking, beside that I have elliptical and other exercise equipments at home. Is gardening and dealing with dirt all the time could be the reason to have this disease, or having dogs inside and outside . I have only one daughter and she loves dogs and I can not convinced her to give her one dog that we have now away
    • Posted

Hi Bela,

Please continue to enjoy your gardening and any dogs. This will NOT hurt you, but only help you - fresh air and the healing touch of a dog; wonderful!

Ida

• Posted

Hi ida, yes I enjoy my garden a lot. But I am watching myself and waiting at less two hour after meal and then start digging and caring about my fruit trees.
    • Posted

Hi Bela,

So funny that we both live in San Diego and we are on this UK site.

Do you have a good pulmonary doctor here?

I go to UCSD.

Ida

• Posted

Not really, I want to find other doctor for second opinion
    • Posted

If your insurance covers UCSD, I highly recommend going with their Pulmonary unit.

• Posted

My insurance does not cover. I have Obama care that is why I want to find a job . And in the same time I want to be healthy for my daughtet
  • Posted

UCSD accept most Obama care insurances. I would call them to find out.

I hope all goes well.

Ida

• Posted

Can you tell me what kind of medications are you on and how many times you do physiotherapy. And what you use and see it benefit you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.