I found out I have bronchiectasis after I got my Respitory Therapist license

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am very sad to have this disease in my lower right lobe and I do not know if I can go ahead and look for a job now. I think no one will hire me when there are not enough jobs here in san diego on the first place. Even though I have my RRT certification, the teachers did not focus in this disease as they did to asthma and emphysema. Now I have hard time to breath from the right side

Of my nose. Please any help, because I do not think it is a wise idea to work with cardiopulmonary diseases where many patients sever from infections.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As it happens I was curious myself as to why my family do not seem to pick up any infections from me. I have a six year old who often pops in and sleeps with my wife and I but she never has bad colds or anything similar (this is the sub-tropics so there is a lesser incidence in the general population anyway).

So, last time I was at Papworth Hospital Lung Defence unit I asked the immunology consultant I was seeing why this was and did it mean that bronchX type infections are not infectious to others. She confirmed that generally speaking we are not infectious to others.

• Posted

Thank you steve, I know it is not contagious. Myself have a daughter who Hage me and kiss me always. God protect her and protect ever one there from any pain. As Russell said I can protect myself by wearing mask and gloves.
  • Posted

Bella, I was a RN for 30 years, the last seven of which I had Bx. There were no doctors telling or protocols me that I could not work with patiens. The other thing is that you should check with the hospital or clinic where you plan to word to see what there protocols for employes who have Bx. Perhaps there is some way of protecting your patients to esposure. A mask was mentioned below

We do have bacteria and other oranisms growing in our lungs and sinues ( I am told by doctors that the lungs and the sinues are almost one organ when comes to Bx.) The only things I can think of is your energy levels which increase your chance for illnes. Amother is hand washing  after each patient. Another is wearing gloves.

There are more and I will send along later.

Russ 

• Posted

Dear Bela as mentioned before I had BX from 11years old and it has not prevented me from working as a RN in the UK. 

I have not worn masks or glovesto prevent myself or patients from infections because all the bacteria in my lungs and sinuses are the same as the general population.I wear gloves and masks now (mainly gloves) only as universal precautions to prevent spreading of MRSA and other infections.I should think that by wearing masks(unless you have more infectious diseases in San Diego ) that you would be putting up barriers in your therapist/patient relationship. We are not infectious unless you are coughing a lot and directly at people!

I have not had days off sick with my Bx excepting once for a bronchoscopy after a bleed but judging by other comments on here my Bx  is mild and limited to one lobe. I dont do physio as such and no medication but I have a packet of amoxicillin just in case.

Keep well.

• Posted

Hi dear charles, I wish I can do the same and not to take medications. I hate taking corticosteroids and singular every day. I wonder if I stop taking them and depending only on natural food and change life style will be better. Side effects from these medications could be more than benefits some time. I know it is not easy to have lung disease. It is stressful to me to deal with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.