i got brain damage from electroconvulsive therapy.

Posted , 86 users are following.

In 2005 I was given 22 lots of electroconvulsive therapy. It left me with brain damage that means I will never work again. I was lucky because I got support from a neuropsychologist who allowed me to understand and come to terms with my problems. ECT can be used to great effect. However some people like myself end up severely and permanently affected. I want to use this place to link up with those like myself. So that we can support each other.  I don't say ect shouldn't be used. But people thinking of it should understand what can happen. The Information given about ECT side effects doesn't go into details, they talk about memory problems. Actually it affects far more than that. It causes cognitive impairment. 10 years on I need 12 hours of home help a week to help me care for my 3 kids. I tire very easily and some days I am able and feel intelligent. Other days if I have pushed myself and not been able to have a midday nap I struggle to do the most basic of tasks. Some days I'm not well enough to drive at all. Other days I will drive short distances. I was a doctor and well never work again. 

Please let me know if you have had similar problems. Or if your thinking about ECT please make sure that you understand what could happen to you. It could mean permanent I'll health on top of your existing problems.I am no longer depressed. It wasn't stopped by the ECT but by psychological input to support me out of my coercively abusive marriage.

16 likes, 269 replies

269 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I admire your encouragment and survior attitude towards ECT "survivor",

instead of a victim.

I am now 57 years old, and I wish I could have any hope at all.

• Posted

I'm still a victim, trying to survive. How recent was your "treatment?"
    • Posted

It's not easy. I was in a really difficult position. I was divorced and my ex wanted to have the kids taken off me claiming I was unsafe. I had no option but to get on with my life and fight for my kids. It wasn't easy. But 10 years on I have a life I has helped by a great neuropsychologist but we are all different. I think for a long time I really didn't understand how bad I was.
    • Posted

Don't get me wrong. Today is a really hard day and I am absolutely shattered and I don't know if I can do the basic things that need doing. I need a lot of support from my partner and my cleaner. Ican't drive very far and on a day like today I wouldn't get in the car. The symptoms of depression and lack of hope can mimic head injury signs. I know my feelings today of not being able to cope are not due to depression but just exhaustion and my brain not working. I'm so tired I want to cry...I'm going back to bed to sleep.
    • Posted

Feel free to direct message me if you like. You haven't posted, I care.
    • Posted

Suzie

I suffer terribly with tiredness and very poor brain function but i tried sleeping it never made things better just sucks up what life i had i do know how hard it is try to do something you enjoy that will not such energy from you everyone has to keep acheiving something every day.

• Posted

I had ect as a child in the 1970s since then i have no emotions could this be a side effect
    • Posted

I'm not a mental health professional. Based on what I know, emotions return. I haven't met a survivor who lack affect, unless they were like that before the "treatment."
  • Posted

Hi Suzie

I joined this website after reading your posts 

I had ETC at 17 years old am now 55 nothing changed for me have not repaired apear to have same problems as you

I have been diagnosed with Sleep apnea, Chronic Fatigue, Frontal Lobe Impairment after many years of fighting for tests and this all started through being diagnosed deppression which i still say i never was.

J

• Posted

I'm so sorry. Do you think the ECT triggered sleep apnea or that was the underlying issue. This is discouraging.
    • Posted

Have you been able to live a life without depression despite this brain trauma? I wasn't depressed either and was misdiagnosed and given drugs that caused depression. Now I'm very depressed from this assault on my brain and memory loss.
    • Posted

I found this definition of Frontal lobe syndrome on this website:

Frontal lobe syndrome (FLS) reflects damage to the prefrontal regions of the frontal lobe. It is characterised by deterioration in behaviour and personality in a previously normal individual.

• Posted

Frontal lobe syndrome is also caused by anti-psychotic medications.
    • Posted

Hi Sandy

The ECT did not trigger the sleep apnea as i have obstructive sleep apnea

problem is with the airways in throat.

J

• Posted

Hi Suzie

Chronic fatigue diagnosed after many tests for other problems

Frontal lobe impairment 

Neuropsychological assessment is a performance-based method to assess cognitive functioning. This method is used to examine the cognitive consequences of brain damage, brain disease, and severe mental illness.

• Posted

Hi Sandy

Yes this is correct i am very sensitive to light, sound and have a very short fuse any exercise be it mental of physical exagerates the syptoms very quickly.

• Posted

Sandy

I do have low moods but my condition has never got any better particuly in the last 10 years i don't have a choice but to carry on and make the best of every day i have been to several group sessions for chronic fatigue and for cognitive difficulties for life style management to be honest they helped because of the other people with difficulties there you do not feel so alone. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.