I had a foot fusion 11 weeks ago.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had an operation for a foot fusion 11 weeks ago today, I am wearing an air boot. I am still experiencing terrible pain when I walk. I can usually walk for about 5 minutes before the pain sets in. Can anbody give me some advice as to how long I should be feeling this pain. Thank you.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about this. I am due to have a toe fusion.I had a Cheilectomy last November which was not a success so am worried about another failure.

Did you have more pain before?

My consultant says that after 8 weeks the boot comes off and you can drive.  How are you now?

Rochelle

• Posted

Hi Rochelle,

The pain that I have now is the post op pain, that is expected. My physio told me that I have been doing too much walking around to soon. I am really hopeful that it will have been worth it. Good luck.

Julie.

• Posted

Hope that things improve.

Is the pain less than before the fusion op?

How long does the consultant say it takes before things improve?

Do you know many people who have had this op?

Rochelle.

• Posted

Are things any better?

Rochelle.

• Posted

Hi Rochelle,

Things are much better thanks, I am walking around without the airboot inside the house. The consultant said it can take up to 1 year to completely feel the benefit. Things are definitely improving.

How are you doing?

Julie.

• Posted

Still in pain when I walk> Can't decide what to do.

Can you drive?

Is it still sore?

Hope that things improve.

Rochelle.

• Posted

Saw another consultant on Wednesday who says that my only option is to have a toe fusion operation.

How are you now?

Can you walketc?

Rochelle.

• Posted

How are things now?

Anyone else had a toe fusion op?

Rochelle.

• Posted

Hi Rochelle,

Sorry I didn't see your messages. I am very well now, walking well with no aids. I have no pain at all, it only gets a little sore and swollen if I have been standing for a long time. Also this hot weather tends to make my foot swell up. The operation has been a great sucesss.

Julie. 

• Posted

Hi I'm due to have naviculocuneiform arthrodesis surgery on Monday , which I think is foot fusion, is this what you had done ?been told in plaster for main 6 weeks followed by same in airboot. If same were you kept in hospital overnight and was it painful after surgery, thanks
    • Posted

Hi,

Yes I had a foot fusion back in March, I was kept in overnight and I was in plaster for 6 weeks. I was not allowed to put any weght at all on my foot. I was then in an airboot for about 3 weeks. I am now walking very well and pain free! It does tend to swell up and can be a little sore if I have been on my foot for a long time. This hot weather does not help. I am still having physio, which has been a great help. I am very glad that I had the operation, as before I was in terrible pain all the time. I hope your surgery goes well, if you want to discuss anything else about the operation please feel free to email me on here. Good luck!

Julie.

• Posted

Dear Julie

So pleased that you are getting better.

Did you find before the op that your toe was starting to 'fuse' itself??

Would you say that as it is 4 months since the op that your life is now pretty much back to normal??

Many thanks

Rochelle

• Posted

Thanks for reply I too am in pain constantly, looking forward to that ending. Been searching Internet for people who have had the procedure to see what afterwards is like, thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.