I had a knee replacement op 10 days ago.

Posted , 143 users are following.

I have a continual, deep pain/ache in practically the whole of my leg. I use ice on it (frozen peas!) a great deal of the time and I take my pain killers. At night I cannot sleep because there is nowhere New I can put my leg which does not become become equally painful within a few seconds. Anybody else have this problem? Also, I had to stop taking Diclofenac a few days before the op. How long before I can take it again?

15 likes, 331 replies

331 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

wow thank s to both of you , in 5 weeks post opp and didn't attend the pre opp group because I was only given 4 days notice and only had time to get my pre med , I too have this same pain in the back of my knee I have worked hard at my physo and now have been discharged ,with an sos if I feel the need to have more in the next 6 weeks . I too have found sleeping hard not being comfortable on my side so have to sleep with a pillow , when I came out of hospital I didn't really have any information , thanks to you both I now feel the pain is normal .so ann it will get better ,it takes time and like you I thought after a short time I wouldn't have pain ,
    • Posted

I, too, only had four days to prepare.  It really isn't the best thing to happen.  We felt rushed and we never did see important reading materials.  People kept asking me if I'd read this or that paper and I kept telling them I never received them...they went to the wrong address.  It is all kind of a blur.  

• Posted

Me to only had 5 days with pre opp in that time also .
    • Posted

Hi last time I some to you I'd just had TNR and was in so much pain. Well so much has happened since then could not go to the toilet for 3 weeks woke up one morning with bad cramps thought I was going to die. After passing some I nearly passed out lost lots of blood. Layed in bed for 3 days. Doctor told me to stop pain meds .eat lost of firba which I did etc. Then no toilet again for a week cramps again enough is enough. I then took 8 movcol . O yes that worked the yesterday

18 times in and out the bathroom. And 6 today but god do I feel better. Can now concentrate on my knee phisyo starts Thursday. X

• Posted

Thanks very much Margaret and Debbie. I can now see that I was being very optimistic! I read all the stuff about what to expect but I still didn't expect this inability to sleep etc. I've spoken to the hospital and was told to take paracetamol and codeine 4 times a day and Diclofenac 3 times a day, and to put ice (not frozen peas!) on my leg for 20 min sessions. I've been doing that, more or less, anyway, but maybe an extra Diclofenac (I was only taking 2 per day) and ice instead of frozen peas, will do the trick!! Anyway, I now realise I was expecting far too much too soon. Thanks again, and it hope your pain disappears very soon.
    • Posted

Make sure you don't get stomach issues with the Diclofenac. 

• Posted

hi ann , I understand where you were coming from because I did the same , no one said any thing to me about not sleeping , or the pain in my knees while I stand in a que ,or when I move in bed , I thought I was going to be stiff not painful and stiff , I did physo for 3 weeks with a different person each time they all said slow down its early days , my gp said the same ,it wasn't till I read yours and margarets that I realised that what people told me was right , so now I take time to relax and chill
  • Posted

Hi everyone - I had a unicompartmental medial knee replacement on 20th March. I am having real problems with the bending of my knee. They said at hospital that I had to have a 90degree bend before they would discharge me but I failed this target miserably and went home anyway on day 4. I have now been home a week and am still not quite reaching the 90 bend - it feels hot and like my knee will explode when I get to the limit of where it wants to bend to. On Thursday this week I have to have my staples removed and am really nervous about this - how did any of you find/cope with this? One of the really worst things I found in hospital was having the drain removed...did you find this??? Sorry to bombard with questions...
    • Posted

Hi everyone

its one month since my TKR and finding this forum has been so welcome. I had a booklet but no one told me how painful my leg would be. I have had one physio session and told I was trying to do way too much, but I thought the more I pushed the knee the quicker it would recover! Sleep is also my biggest challenge and chronic tiredness doesn't help my mood, I have also been told the hip needs replacing soon but really worried about coping with this type/ level of pain again! My scar feels very tight and even with cream and massage it doesn't help!! Any hints would be most welcome.

thank you x

• Posted

Hi Lynne!

I am 11 weeks post op from my TKR. I have my other knee replacement on Oct. 9th.

What helps me the most is taking naps when I get tired instead of fighting it. A half hour of REALLY good sleep when I am truly tired is better than TRYING to sleep at night when pain seems to be greater.

Taking a good multivitamin that has 100% of the daily recommended dose of iron also helps with being more energetic instead of tired.

I like to move around a lot throughout the day to keep loose. This helps the PAIN and makes me less stiff. I find that stretching to increase my BEND helps to loosen my incision area and break up scar tissue. I ease gently into EVERY stretch then hold it for 30 seconds.

I stretch in bed before my feet ever touch the floor. This helps me balance as I get out of bed and makes those first few stiff minutes easier.

Be sure to keep hydrated. Also 2000 mg. of Omega 3 (fish oil gels) help with the joints. If I forget to take them or run out of them I can tell the difference.

I haven't had a hip replacement, but people I have talked to that have had knees and HIPS REPLACED have ALL said HIPS are easier than knees.

Be patient. Around six weeks I think you will find that everything starts to get easier.

Rest when you can, and do good breathing in and out to get oxygen to your body. When we are in pain we tend to breathe in a very shallow way.

Best wishes to you as you continue your recovery!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, thanks for the tips, I will try all you have suggested, nice to have support x
    • Posted

You are very welcome!

You learn a lot if you listen to your body. A lot of the time that's hard to do because we humans are REALLY IMPATIENT and want results and improvements IMMEDIATELY!

I am learning to accept that some days will be better than others, flexibility will vary, swelling comes for no apparent reason and often leaves for no apparent reason as well, and some days I have oodles of energy while on other days I am a LAZY LUCY.

I DO take my temperature often. I get high fevers if I DO get a fever and often don't realize I am already at 100° if I go without taking my temperature. One thing I DON'T ever want to do is ignore a possible infection. That could cause all kinds of trouble with a knee replacement or ANY replacement.

• Posted

Hi Lynne,

I would like to second what Cheryl has said. I am 32 days post tkr. It has been horrendous but is getting better. I go to pt 3x a week and do exercises at home. Maybe not as often as I should, but I make sure to do them. Massaging my knee with vitamin e oil a few times a day and keeping it iced. I am to go back to work in 7 days and am a bit anxious about it. I now use only a cane to get around and it does get easier every day.

I think the sleep problems and aching bother me the most.

Good luck to you with your recovery!

• Posted

HI Wendysk8128. Having my drain removed was nothing, but 24 staples removed was not fun. The removal itself would have been easier if the P.A. would have paid more attention to what she was doing. She kept catching my skin with the staple remover when pulling to remove the staples. OUCH!

Watch when they remove each staple. Make sure no skin is pinched in the puller!

I had a quick recovery in regard to movement, I was at 120 degrees by 6 weeks post surgery, however, I have a terrible problem with severe swelling. Went for an ultrasound and no blood clots thank goodness, just it looks twice the size of my other leg. It's also very stiff, but the more I walk and do my exercises the better it feels, until it swells again. Elevation and lots of ice for me. I thought by 14 weeks I would be as good as new, but I'm told I could have stiffness and swelling for 12 months! Glad I had it done, but if the other knee needs replacing, I'll really have to be in agony before doing this again.

• Posted

Hey I know where you are coming from. I can't bind my knee much. Almost 3 weeks out can't get swelling down feels like something is cutting off circulation. My foot gets cold and hurts. 

• Posted

hi im now 3 1/2 weeks after tkr and the pain in the inside of my knee when i try to bend it is unbearble , the pt got 70 degree bend today but when i try it on mu own iys hell, how are you doing now and is there a light at the end of the tunnel .
    • Posted

Wendy,

Having the drain removed was hideous!!

I'm at day 21, the more I walk the angrier my knee responds, doing stretches at 70 degree bend, sleeping fitfully, it's a long road to recovery but try not to do too much too soon. Be strong.

Amanda

• Posted

Hi Wendy, I had my staples removed a few days ago , 52 of them and some were sore but on the whole it was no problem, certainly no where near the pain I have experienced with my knee since the op

I have had a total knee replacement!

• Posted

Some people tend to have such a high pain threshold.  I went to PT today and I felt like screaming and the exercises weren't all that drastic.  I have wondered if some people, by nature, just take longer to recuperate and cope with the bending and stretching.  I could not face this again and I am use to a lot of pain from migraines and arthritis for 45 years.  

• Posted

Yes everyone is different. Don't compare yourself to any one else. Everyone's healing time is different. I am 1 year out and have learned to just focus on my own recovery and do what I can. I rehabbed myself and wished I would've had rehab done. It is super painful but on this side of it, It's all worth it. Take your pain meds, bring your ice bag worked hard and ice it when your done. I did a lot of Jacuzzi therapy and bent my knee hard, I think that was the key to my success.   I'm not pain free but I would definitely do it again.  My heel doesn't touch my rear but Im close. I had both done and had complications with each one so I was a hard case. But today, no more throbbing or aching from arthritis. Just dealing with swelling a bit.  This time will pass and you will be feeling better.  Give yourself about 6 months and then each month gets better.  

• Posted

Just need to ask about were to put ice on sides I no but is it alright to put it over the staples as well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.