I had a knee replacement op 10 days ago.

Posted , 143 users are following.

I have a continual, deep pain/ache in practically the whole of my leg. I use ice on it (frozen peas!) a great deal of the time and I take my pain killers. At night I cannot sleep because there is nowhere New I can put my leg which does not become become equally painful within a few seconds. Anybody else have this problem? Also, I had to stop taking Diclofenac a few days before the op. How long before I can take it again?

15 likes, 331 replies

331 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Wendy. I can't help much about the 90deg bend as I wasn't required to do that before I left hospital after 3 days. My knee, however, was very hot and swollen for a long time. It still gets warm. Were you told to put ice bags on it? It's now gradually going down ( I had my op a week before you) but is by no means comfortable. I had stitches (allergic to most metals) and even tho I was concerned about what would happen, it was fine when they came out. My knee is gradually bending more and I'm sure yours will be fine after a while. Good luck
  • Posted

Thank you Ann - a little support from someone who understands goes a long way x
  • Posted

hi wendy , I too was supposed to have a 90degree bend and again I didn't when I left ,keep up with the ice and exercises , your knee will feel hot but not too hot as that could be an infection I did at about 10 days and felt rough . I had strange stitches with just a knot at each end ,so when the nurse came to take them out she just snipped each end , there was nothing else to see but over the weeks I can feel them tugging then snapping inside my knee ( this was not at all painful ) .so when you lose your staples you will find it I little easier evey day or so , take your time and don't rush it will come ,6 weeks on and ive finished with physo and do my exercises at home and now have a bend of 115 degrees , just don't be too hard on your self ,I am also only 52 and did 2 miles swimming every day to help before the opp , it will come xx

• Posted

hi wendy again , forgot to say I don't know about the drain as our hospital no longer uses them for this opp ,and that also even though my movement is quite good dosnt mean that's not painful around my knee because it is ,am told that it takes up to 6 months for that pain to go because of all the stitches inside you knee where you have had muscle cut and stitched up again , hope you feel better very soon xx

• Posted

Hi Debbie - Thank you - I am 50 and used an exercise bike beforehand. I hadn't realised about all the internal stitches. I'm definitely feeling better than immediately after. I will just be glad when Thursday is over. Please keep posting your progress xx
  • Posted

Hi Wendy I had my TKR 6th December 13 Yes they do get you out of bed asap and doing physio its got to be done. Your knee will feel very swollen/tight for a while mine is still tight in the bend now 12 weeks post op. I am still having physio working on the bend. I seemed to be doing ok but then slipped back a bit and I was told by physio that a lot of patients stop when they feel the stretching/pain when doing physio but within reason you need to push through this pain so you get further each time to achieve maximum bend. I am just working on coming downstairs and how best to kneel. But even now every morning my knee feels like its gone three steps back and is tight and some discomfort until I get moving and do first lot of physio. I also still have an odd shape around the kneecap but was told that "they only have certain sizes and it may always be slightly different than the other"!

Taking staples out - nothing to worry about slight twinge on maybe one or two if they are tight but certainly not pain. You will feel more comfortable after they are out. I still struggle a bit getting my left TKR into passenger side of car- don't physically lift your leg in - do it with muscle power, use them or lose them! Getting into bed can be painful- Sit as far onto bed as you can, at an angle towards the top of the bed- so that your bad knee will be first onto the bed- this way your Bad Knee will be nearly on the bed up to your thigh already and a bit easier to get onto bed fully. When dressing always put bad knee into trousers/underwear first. When sitting try to remember to bend the knee don't sit with it straight out 'cause you think it will hurt. Take a little bit of something from all of us and you will get there good luck it takes time.

• Posted

Thank you Margaret. I had such a bad night last night the hospital are taking the staples out today. Onwards and upwards! It is so helpful to hear how other people are progressing, it has stopped me worrying when professionals are saying that I should be doing things that I can't yet...
  • Posted

I had all 27 staples removed today - it really stung and pinched but a big relief to get them out. I had to have several steri strips put on as my scar is a bit of a mess. It is all puckered and different heights at varying points on either side of the wound. Also at a couple of points it started to pull apart slightly...so even longer until I can shower. I measured an 80 degree bend so not too bad as I can straighten and lift with no problem.
  • Posted

well done ,my scar was the same as yours 4 weeks ago its now starting to look better , and your bend seems to be doing ok too , so your defo on the right track , I have my follow up tomorrow appointment , and ive been swimming today that was hard but im sure it will be worth it ,so keep doing your exercises . x
  • Posted

Hi all, am I glad I found this forum. I am 7 days post op having TKR on 28th March, I have been feeling really

down in the dumps today because of the pain and stiffness in my leg. I had been to GP to have dressing

changed and felt I had over done it with the walking today.

All the conversations on here have reassured me that patience is a virtue, I was beginning to think something Was wrong!

I have so much swelling and bruising pariculary on my operated legs foot, my ankle is swollen and black with bruises. Behind my knee is painful and I am still unable to lift leg up from a sitting position, I can manage

about 3 inch of the floor. I am able to bare weight on my new knee, but am still on crutches to walk about. My hip on my unoperated side is also painful. So I am popping the recommended dose of tramadol and

paracetamol checking the time for my next dose.

I have had disposable sutures in which will fade away by next week. I am also in my early 50's and usually

very active and am finding it difficult to come to terms with my current disability.

I hope that each week I improve, I am doing the exercises given on discharge but am still waiting for my Physiotherapy appointment to come through. I was discharged on wednesday 2nd April, so I take it this is still very early days for me and I should just improve?

I have had very emotional day and been really upset with the pain, lack of mobility.

Thanks for listening and your support.

• Posted

hi ,I found that after the first 2 weeks that every day I was doing some thing extra that I couldn't do only days before , im now 6 and a half weeks post opp and have been going out without a stick,got back driving and been swimming , I still have pain and down days but over all feeling good ,still wake up in the night with pain but every night its a little later and even found my self sleeping on my side for a while , some thing ive not been able to do and sat on a chair for a good few hours without putting my leg up ,another thing I havnt been able to do . had my appointment with the consultant yesterday , he was very pleased with all my movement and progress , I asked about the pain around my knee and the stiffness and evey thing else I asked , he was very nice and said all that I asked was the normal and not to forget they have cut through nerves and,muscle all of which takes time to heal its a big big opp even the stiffness should go in time so he reassured me and I went home feeling a little pleased with myself and looking forward to the next knee , so keep it up it will pay off x

• Posted

Hi Debbie, just browsing the forum and reading this post made me feel much better! I am awaiting referral for the first knee to be replaced (both need doing) and have started more in depth research and looking up exercises to prepare me. Found your post very heartening. Thank you!
    • Posted

thanks , well things have changed a little since then , i kept up with the swimming and im going back to it on monday , noe 8 weeks post op with the 2 nd knee so that s 4 and a half months between , things have gone much quicker this time round , my bend was easy from the start , i was able to move around so much better ,could wash and change easier , did the stairs going up from the start , even though this knee was worse , the scar is about 5cm s longer ,you find your way round the problems quicker as they say been there ,got the t shirt wore it out , even the op was better i was more awake and had a laugh with the team and knew more of what was going on but wasnt worried at all just lay back and let them get on , dont get me wrong the pain is still as bad but you seem to cope with it better , prob because you know whats at the end . good luck with yours x
  • Posted

ps pegs , when I was still in hospital I couldn't lift my leg either ,the physo told me to use my other foot and carefully put your toes under your bad foot ( leg ) and just use your toes to help ,I did this and soon got the hang of what to do and realised that I wasn't relaxed as I should be ,I was very quick once I worked this out ,it wasn't a problem after 2 or 3 times , good luck hope this helps with the lifting x
  • Posted

Hi Pegs - I am now into week 3 and just beginning to feel human again. Don't rush things too much you have had a major operation - in between doing your exercises try and get plenty of rest, that is when your body recovers the best. I realised I could walk a few steps without my crutches yesterday and being the all or nothing person that I am, I really over did it!!! So take care ... Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.