I had a knee replacement op 10 days ago.

Posted , 143 users are following.

I have a continual, deep pain/ache in practically the whole of my leg. I use ice on it (frozen peas!) a great deal of the time and I take my pain killers. At night I cannot sleep because there is nowhere New I can put my leg which does not become become equally painful within a few seconds. Anybody else have this problem? Also, I had to stop taking Diclofenac a few days before the op. How long before I can take it again?

15 likes, 331 replies

331 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Wendy /Debbie

Thank you both for your replies .

It is so reassuring to have someone to "chat too" who knows what Im going through .

I have had a couple of comments made to me re my pain and stiffness intimating that i am putting this on and that "by now i should be walking /sleeping pain free after a week" as they were after their TKR . So as you can imagine i have dwelled on their comments and wondered if i should be!!

So listening to you all has reassured me.

I am currently on my 3rd wake up and pill stop of the night and its only 1.30am.

I do try and push myself but struggle afterwards .

I am still using the ice as my swelling is still painful .

I would appreciate if you would log your progress on here which i can build too this way i will have a goal to work too.

Thank you both again hope you sleep well.

• Posted

I have just had a knee replacement 11 days ago, was up walking same day.  I vomitted for two days after the operation.  The stiffness and bending the knee is my worst nightmare but I am getting there.  Each day i wake up and its like starting all over again until I start to walk and after a few minutes it all loosens up again.  I swore I wouldn't have it done again and am worried about having a second one in 15 years time as I am only in my 50's.  My knee started to feel better before the op and I nearly cancelled but was talked into it by my doctor and as yet don't feel like saying thank you until it has cleared up.  I got no information on the type of stitches I have nor have had the bandage changed yet.  I do the exercises but not every day as it is too painful.  This is certainly one of the most painful things I have ever gone through but I am told it will get better then I see people on forums saying after a year they are still in pain.  The more one puts into getting better the better you will become and this is what i am doing, I am determined to get better.  I take Solphdol before i go to bed and it knocks me out so I do sleep.  I have found an edge on the bed where i can leave my bad leg without too much discomfort, but i do find a pillow between the legs more painful.  Hope yours has now got much better.
    • Posted

I had staples in mine and they took the bandage of next day and replaced it with a waterproof dressing I would contact you gp or consultant 
    • Posted

I too had my total knee replacement just 16days ago. I was up the same day but had a slight setback because I went dizzy and fainted due to low haemoglobin levels. I then was given 2 units of blood and put on iron tablets for 4 weeks. I had my dressing changed before I left hospital, after 4 days, and was given 2 spare dressings to take home for if I needed them before I went to my own doctors surgery to have the ends cut off my stitches. (The rest are dissolvable.) 

i found it very difficult sleeping, both in hospital and once I came home so my doctor prescribed something to help me temporarily . I was both told at the hospital and read on my information booklet that this is normal post op. I am now sleeping about 5 hrs but once I wake up I need to get up as it is uncomfortable to stay in bed. I take my painkillers regularly and do my exercises as I know it all helps. Exercising does hurt but I find I can do more each day and I'm now walking with 1 crutch around the house but 2 when I go out.

the stiffness doesn't bother me too much, it's the pain at the sides of my knee and behind the knee that gets to me most. I find that massaging E45cream in and around the scar really helps. 

i am feeling more positive that I am improving every day but I know I still have a long way to go.

• Posted

Hi. I had total knee 13 days ago and in the last couple of days I feel like iv turned a corner. I'm on tramadol bit up until Saturday night have had trouble sleeping with the pain, but thankfully I have had 2 good nights. I need to get up about 3 times a night for the loo anyway but these last 2 nights I have managed to get back to sleep and it has been bliss The only real pain I have now is on the outer side of the knee but I'm positive it will improve soon. Stitches come out tomorrow .
    • Posted

I had staples and also had waterproof dressing on day 3 so showers were allowed. My daughter is a nurse so we took home staple removers for her to use at home, was a mistake as it was very painful as some were covered by scabs. The wound healed lovely above knee but is ugly below the knee. It is also very tight but I am creaming and massaging. It's 4 weeks since my op and I am progressing daily. Sleep is still a problem but I am reassured by the cmany omments on the forum. Thank you everyone

• Posted

Everyone is different when it comes to surgery and healing.  Don't let people make you feel bad about yourself.  TKR is major major surgery and the majority of people take a long time to heal afterwards.  My Mom in law is a very very strong person and she found the whole experience very painful.  I wish you well.  

• Posted

Hello Pegs. I've had the odd remark from someone suggesting I'm putting it all on, too, because they have a friend who's walking without crutches after 2 weeks etc! They have no idea how different knees can be, so ignore it!

I'm now getting on very much better. I have, in the main, only slight discomfort now, apart from the 'electric current' stabs I get, which I'm assuming is to do with nerves repairing. I'm walking around the house with no crutch, tho I use one for safety when I go out. Still don't walk very far. However, I'm feeling pretty pleased about things. It's still only just over 3 weeks since my op. So don't worry! Just one week has made a big difference and it will happen to you too! By the way, how long did you all keep wearing the sexy socks for?

• Posted

hiya pegs, i know what you mean, everyone k ows someone who has has tkr & they are great. i bet they were not there in the agony hours & just see what they see now. i am  just over 3 weeks post op & feel like s**t.  so bully for the people who know someone who are great now. lol. you take your time hun, i know i am xx
    • Posted

Hi Nanny just going into 4 week love to hear from you as to how your doing now 7 months on ?
    • Posted

Don't mind your friends what do they know.  I was walking on crutches the same day as the op but that didn't stop the pain I constantly have.  Walking is no problem for me and we are all different.  I can sit and stand up, lift my leg high but can i do the bend No i sure can't.  I cannot sit for long on a chair without it going numb and painful.  I cannot travel in a car without so much pain, so you see just because someone is walking round doesnt' mean they are ok and putting the rest on.  Let them see my post
  • Posted

Hi Anne

Thank you for your reply . Some people can be quite cutting with their comments can't they and because Im so sensitive i take it to heart .

I have heard that week 3 i should see a difference so i am counting now! I remind myself its only 9 days since my op and tell myself Im doing good. Yesterday for instance i came down the stairs on my own and was so proud of myself .

These types of forums are great knowing what other people in the same situation have gone through .

I have been told 6 weeks for my stockings!! Have you managed to get in and out of bath/shower yet ?? Looking forward to Wednesday when my dressing comes off so i can have a soak .

Thank you again.

Peg

• Posted

I only wore the sexy socks for 10 days and had 14 nights of tummy injections. It said to wear socks for 6 weeks but as the physio didn't comment at 2 weeks that I wasn't wearing them, they have not gone back on! I am now walking without crutches round the house but use 2 outside for safety. I am not sleeping much at all as I can't get comfy - sleeping on my back is the only option and it just doesn't work for me. I have problems with my spine at both bottom and top end and this is really hurting cause of my knee - I had a weepy night...

My wound is looking better except I have a patch about 2-3cm long which still seeps clear liquid and some blood. Is anyone else having problems with healing on the outside?

• Posted

hi pegs and ann ,only just read this today ,counting my self lucky I havnt had any comments about putting it on , 7 weeks on and ive been shopping without my crutches ( not far ) , I have been swimming , drove my car ,walk round the house without crutches ,even put washing out , still very stiff though and don't walk quite as I should due to a sharp pain in the back of my knee ,avd yesterday was feeling great , but this morning , due to yesterdays events ive got up with a downer , really stiff today and could cry at any thing , we all different and will all end up with the same but at different times and who gives one !. not me were all doing great and learning from each other , raise your glasses and say were doing good and are pleased with out results xoxoxoxoxo
  • Posted

Hi Wendy. I just read about you having big problems sleeping on your back. For a long time now I've had to lie on my back and bought an electric bed which I can move according to my aches and pains, but when I'm staying elsewhere I have loads of pillows and puts loads behind my shoulders and more I under my knees and lower legs so that I can sleep more comfortably. It may be worth you trying it yourself. After a couple of tries you'll find which arrangement works best for you. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.