I had anterior THR Five months ago.But having trouble lifting my leg up.

Posted , 13 users are following.

Has anyone with Anterior THR have Any difficulty lifting up their leg from a sitting position and putting on jeans?

Icant after five months. Any ideas?

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Range. Of motion issue-more physical therapy
    • Posted

I have done eight weeks of PT Water treadmill therapy. Now 30 min at a fitness center mostly cardio.Standing I can march and lift my leg.It does feel heavy..And walk three to four miles a day over The day not at once. Then I'm exhausted.

But sitting down I can't lift that leg hardly at all. So I have to hold it to get it into a pant leg. 

I still have numbness down the lateral side of that leg. I'm perplexed at the slowness it's recovery. 

• Posted

I have an Anterior of right hip 4 yrs ago next month.....I can lift my leg, but it's heavy, I don't know if it will be heavy forever, guess that's part of having replacements... I dread going to my surgeon AGAIN as I deal with Femoral Nerve Damage, IT Band Damage and the leg discrepancy so it's constant dealing with all these complications...

I've done a lot of work over the last 4 yrs including acupuncture, mesotherapy injections and some Prolotherapy...all these for OA.

I do the hip exercises I learned from the PT and have my own stretches too.

I deal with too much bodywide OA, so it's a daily struggle for me and more surgery is not something I will do...

Are you in the U.S....I'm in So. Calif. Many with the Anterior do good, and a percentage end up with the nerve damage stuff...

• Posted

Yes in kansas.mine is the left hip. Omg four years! And still you have this much trouble?oSo sorry for your suffering. 

I'm feeling perplexed at five months. I'm still numb down the lateral side of  that leg. And it does feel heavy and different from the other one.

I can lift it when standing. I do cardio at a fitness center for thirty min 3xa week and walk three to four miles a day. Over the whole day. Walking Molly helps with that. 

I did eight wks of PT treadmill water therapy.  But sitting down I can't lift that leg with out holding it to put on my jeans. Why i it's it harder to lift the leg sitting down is strange to me.

• Posted

Hi Gnger, I think you need more PT, I am 8 weeks po RTH and can do anthng, although first thng in the morning is the most difficult, but i went to rehab and had PT every day in the mornng and hydro every afternoon for 5 weeks, and still do all my excersises every day and walk three times a day for at least 20 mins each time, I still use my ted stockings and still ice and still take paracetamol when achy. what sort of excersises do you do ?
    • Posted

Greetings Lynn,   I went straight to rehab two days p.o..mine is anterior THR. After ten days I went home alone PT came in 2xwk. It was ruff living.more like survival day to day. At one month I did PT Water treadmill therapy for 8week's.

Now I'm doing cardio 30min3x wk. Walikng ,7 days wk three to four miles a day. Mainly Molly needs walking.

It's perplexing to me how I can do marching, logging that leg, even though it feels heavy. But sitting I can't lift it with out holding it to put my jeans on. That seems strange to me.

• Posted

Hi ginger, I dont know what it is then, I must admit I put my left leg in first thenut my jeans on the floor put my foot in then pull them up, It wasnt until you mentioned it that I really thought about it. I mentioned it today to my PT and he saud my muscles are fine its just I need stretching excersises. let me know how ypu get on, I am only 8 weeks so I hope things are going to get better, The surgeon I saw on Monday said things are fine.  I hope you find the answers, I would ask your PT or surgeon, as everyone is different and what works for one doesnt work for others, and what people were like post op also helps to determine how quickly you respond and age, please dont get down hun, am sure once you speak to the people in the know you will be fine, my surgeon said 12 monthe so please dont worry x

• Posted

Hi ginger, I don't know if you have the same issue as I had. I was unable to lift my lower leg To move it on to bed I would have to pick it up. There was no response, one day I sat on my bed and suddenly it lifted up. So strange. I am now able to put shoes on trousers etc. It has been gradual process and can't quite reach my foot to cut to nails! I still have difficult putting trousers on if I am not sitting down and have only been doing things like this for about 2 months and I am now 10 months post op. So is a gradual process.Keep patient you should get there eventually keep up excises. Sorry about spelling etc but very slow connection.
    • Posted

Forgot to say it was 4months before any response in my lower leg.
    • Posted

Thank you.At first I used a thing called a leg lifter to get into bed or the car with. Stopped using it after two months. 

But I'm perplexe why I still can't sit and lift it with out holding iit to put on my jeans.

I can stand and lift it. And do cardio, an March for thirty min? This seemsoso strange to mange.

Will I ever be normal again?

• Posted

Hi Ginger, just keep going physical therapy I started back to therapy because my leg just not getting stronger
    • Posted

Hi Ginger,  I was born with Hip Displasia , I have been dealing with this for long time my first total hip replacement was nov 1993, which went very well i never felt better I was also alot younger LOL. So here i am 21 years later with alot back pain missing alot of work because of pain So i went to doctor and it showed loosening of the parts . So i had to have revsied hip replacement which 11 months later still having problems and just found out i have nerve damage . When i woke up from surgery my foot didnt feel right my calf was numb , my doctor said it should get better with time so here i am still on disability cant work physical therapy 3x week . Long story short if something not feelng right listen to your body .

Take care

Jackie

• Posted

Sorry to hear how much you have suffered over your young life. Now another surgery and al it's challenges. Hopefully the numbness will ease as the swelling goes down. One advantage you have Jackie is your age.  You're hip surgery will heal better and sooner. And I do pray the nerve won't become sensitive to touch. That would be much more painful.

I know b/c I cut the nerve in my rt. Upper finger ,three yrs ago this nov. And I still can't touch it or let. Cold touch it. However heat makes it feel good.

I'll remember you in prayers for healing.

• Edited

You have a long time to go with the healing process.....here I am 4 yrs post op and I work daily with my healing and YES some do get complications with our replacement....this is MAJOR work done to our bodies....very major. More major than I realized until it was all done.

Keep doing PT, the marching and the exercises the PT gave you. I have 3 specific ones and I do them daily to this day and year.

I came home alone right from hospital and had NO help but I was physically in pretty good shape, I GUESS, no crutches ever, walker a few days, cane outside a few days and concentrate on my WALK.....

I have a small apt and that is GOOD since I don't have to walk miles in apt or steps.....

I'm 76 and yes again, some end up with issues, it's almost a given I know now...

Good wishes and keep moving, but not overboard......j

• Posted

Thank you so much and may God bless you for your kindNess.

I'm 69 now. I'm a nurse that's why my mind wants answers icant  help it I guess that's how I'm wired.

But I do need patience. 

I just want to feel normal again. smile

• Posted

You cannot be impatient with hip replacements or any replacements for that matter. I've had one and want no more...

They are not a walk in the park, or a piece of cake....

Just visualize what is done to our bodies....you are a nurse...

• Posted

Actually last night I looked up the anatomy of the thigh to get a better picture off hip flexors and extendors. To visualize what the doctors were moving and probably were injured in the process.

These are the muscles that responsible for moving the leg.

But I was told other people were able to do the things I mentioned in two months. And here I'm give month's.So I was wondering what's wrong with me and why my progress is so slow.

That's why I went searching on line to see what others were doing.

• Posted

Everyone is different and it's good to read other's experiences....but don't compare yourself..... Your body will do what it will do in it's time....and hopefully without infections etc....
    • Posted

Thank you for taking your time to make responses to my questions.

I appreciate you.smile

• Edited

Ginger, I should not go here but knowing who I am here I go. You being in the medical "industry" and yes everythig is an industry...you may NOT take supplements....I've been working with supps for my health for close to 25 yrs.....

My very good friend started out to be an RN and then should found it was not for her with the drugs and everything pharma pushes...she ended up in the alternative/holistic world and taught me so much when I met her in 1994, I was on my way anyway, but she pushed things along for me.....I'm so grateful for her. She attended an alternative healing school in FL many yrs back. She taught me so much and I use the advice she gave me to this day.

Another gf is an RN but she also uses a lot of supplements but involved in her son's Wegener's disease and he takes a lot of pharma drugs. She and I have helped each other over the years too.

I've met a lovely retired RN who is challenged with horrible RA and does all in her power to keep away from the toxic drugs that many take for RA. She tells me how her mind and eyes have been opened to the drug world....

Anyway, many are deficient in magnesium and of course the vit D3 issue is epidemic in MOST of the world north of the equator.

I take far more mag than calcium in my daily routine and am on top of Vit D3 and know K2 is needed for best absorption.

My Vit D level dropped 40 pts after hip replacement surgery, I read this could happen and it sure did in my case...I was a lovely 80 pre op and found I was a lower 40 post op. I have a thread on this Vit D drop issue....

These 3 I talk about are critical for bone health.....and other minerals too as I had a mineral panel done in 2005 and came up low on 3 other minerals related to bone health.

I see only an integrative MD and getting ready for my annual check in.

We have a lot of alternative healers here in So. Cal....I'm so fortunate to be here.

Sadly this hip outcome was not in my plans....I hoped for better...

A little secret, knowing how the pain drugs will constipate us, I took some magnesium with me in the hospital and took my own helper....never got the horrid constipation. Also I have my own sleep "CURE" and used it in the hospital too....couldn't wait to get out of there....that's me.....

• Posted

Haven't thought about vitd3 for a while. I'll start it again. The isn't any integrative medicine doctor's here.Any way within hundred miles..

What do u use for sleep?

• Posted

Ginger, I just found my Sleep Combo thread and bumped it up for you to read... Works like a charm for me, but one can adjust it for their own body....
    • Posted

You also have to consider how strong your flexor group of muscles were before the surgery.  I know mine was tight before had to carry my leg over the cars door frame.  Now those tendons are my problem 12 weeks out and I've got to go in for revision next week.  The iliopsoas tendon is pulled tight over the ball and socket and getting easily irritated and overworked which causes extreme pain in my thigh.  

You didn't say you had any pain though so either those tendons are very week or they were cut   I know sometimes the surgeons cut this tendon because it is a problem and causes pain that is unrelenting. 

I'm 48 and live in CA of USA.  If I were much older the OS would have just cut the tendon which is causing me so much pain but the loss of strength would put me in the situation of not enjoying hiking etc which is why I had the surgery, to get back to an active lifestyle.  I'm just going to stay positive and pray for a good outcome

So scared tho!!

Hope yours gets better soon!!

• Posted

What are they going to for. A revision?

Before surgery I was also active. Walked six miles a day.x7days hip pain and all. So going from that to nothing has been hard.but now I'm upto four miles most days. But that leg is weak  . And lateral  side numb..with lightning strikes once in a while down that side of the leg..

Sure hope your next surgery fixes w what's wrong. And you will heal well.smile

• Posted

Hi You say you have numbness and lightening strikes.Do you mean you have electric shock type of pain? I have numbness from my inner thigh under and over my knee inner side and part of front of my shin to the top of my foot. I have shooting pains like electric shock in these areas. I have femoral nerve damage. You may possibly have some nerve damage. I am not active at all as walking increases pain. But like you I had to use a belt to lift my lower leg intoi a car etc. There was no movement at all until 4 months after op. My leg is very weak and I can't go up or down stairs properly my leg will not lift me up. It might be worth mentioning that you are concerned and could you have tests for nerve damage to your doctor. Test your knee to see if you have any knee reflex by tapping it under the front of the knee. If your lower leg does not react and kick up. That is a sign of nerve damage. Hope this helps you to get answers.
    • Posted

You know how you see lightning in the sky there it's a bolt burst and spreads out across the sky?

That's how the nerve pain is on that part of my leg. I never know when it's going to happen. But I do have medication called Gabapentin it's great for nerve pain.

The hip extensors,and flexors muscles and tendons are responsible for leg lifting. I think its possible the doctors either stretch or bruise or even tear them during. Surgery. And of course nerve damage too.

I'm praying that over time and exercise all this will get better. smile

• Posted

WoW, I hope so too.  They called and moved the surgery up to the 19th.  Two days.  

They are going back in to adjust or change out my implant.

My tendon is so stretched and popping across my implant at the ball joint.   OS says he did use a larger ball because the larger the ball the less likely of dislocation.  But the ball or maybe even cup itself may be the culprit.  He'll know more once he goes in.

If he's changing anything of the implant of course hrs changing the whole thing so the stem will be removed from my thigh and maybe one with a shorter neck thus relieving tension on the tendon.

Right now I'm okay just standing but if I walk around, which I try to get in at least 3 miles then my thigh feels like it has a Charlie horse and the muscle will cramp up.

• Posted

Oh my! That's a whole new surgery.

Last two hrs I have been looking at femoral injury with Anterior THR. Some info good others not.

My heart goes out to you dear one. 

The thought starting over makes me extremely un nerving. So its  scheduled on the 19th.I'll surely pray for your re covery.and waite eagerly to hear from you afterwards. smile

• Posted

Thank you Ginger, it is really comforting to talk to someone who has gone through the same thing.

I am really scared, what if it worse and now that they moved up the surgery I'm a bit freaked out.  

I'm just trying to breath deep and not think about recovery all over again😭

But, I have to consider is the house ready do I have help, whose going to walk the dog... blah blah blah!!

Thanks for your good vibes and prayers!!!

I sure hope you find something that helps you and you can gain your strength back.

Hugs, Jill

• Posted

It's going to be soooooooooo much better you wish uhad done it sooner.

Yeah I have a dog too to walk. It's a real concern.And I understand.

But Molly my king charles spaniel ,really gives me so much joy.

Her it what she did this morning.

I heard a scratching  coming the little bedroom.Iturned around and there behind the baby fence step stool and a chair blocking the entrance was molly. She ate the cat food and couldn't figger out how to get out of there .!!! Busted.she got a good talking to . She dropped her tail and those.big brown eyes. Actually kinda funny. That notty little girl.

What kind of dog do.you.have? Does she our he get into trouble.?

• Posted

Ginger, I have a long thread called My Sleep Combo and I bumped it up for your to check it out. Sop scroll thru the different threads and you will find it....too long to re type it all. OK
    • Posted

How do.I find it.

I put your. Nameand number and my sleep combo ckicked find nothing came up for you?

• Posted

thanks finally found it. 

I usually use my smart phone, but i needed to use the computer to go back to your page.lol

• Posted

Funny Molly🐶

I have a German shepherd, her names Karma and she has helped with recovery by getting me up early and out the door for walks at least 3 x a day.

She does many funny tricks but like you say those eyes, like they're just reaching into your soul with pure love.  She follows me everywhere around the house and sleeps by my bed.  She is my bestie.💞

• Posted

You get off easy 3xa day.molly five min.

She and the cat sleep with me.

Molly gets me up at seven AM ugg.I'm not up that early. At least we both get moving wither or not we feel like it.like you said those eyes and then all right just give me second.smile

• Posted

Hi Jilliboss123, I agree pets are the best for recovery. My dog helped me get my day started. Go for walks dogs are great
    • Posted

Thank you Ginger,

Went for my pre op appt today and the secretary had bumped up the surgery without talking to the surgeon and he told her, "Oh No, we are not ready to do her just yet, need the right people and the right set of implants of the correct sizes."  There will also be two surgeon present.  I'm so glad they are taking this serious and getting organized first.  Thank Heaven!  I think the fact that I felt it was rushed up was making me a little crazy.  So it's planned for next Weds. NOON.

My Surgeon was also telling me that all hardware for surgery and implants go  through strict cleaning and tests for purity randomly.   So it can be time consuming sometimes if there are many pieces.

Big Hugs and let's keep our chins up!!

I'm going to FEEL MY FAITH AND FADE MY FEAR,  it goes something like that, lol😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.