I had cataract surgery 9 weeks ago and the letters merge, blur and tilt and disappear!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had cataract surgery 9 weeks ago and not only do I still see somewhat blurry, but I see shadows when I turn and when I read the letters seem to almost dance. They tilt to the left and merge with the next one and then tilt to the right and merge, sometimes the merge into the next one or change in form. Sentences curve to the right or sometimes curve up and down forming peaks. My doctor placed toric lenses for astigmatism and says that it happens because I have wet macula, then the test showed no leaks so now he says I have damage to my retina. I had the same procedure done on the other eye and I am fine after 2 weeks. He was dismissive saying your eyes will deteriorate don't you know? I said yes but my macular doctor just treated my eyes a week ago and he has taken care of my eyes with no problem. I am so frazzled, please help....

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Elizabeth, I am sorry to hear about your on going problem after your cataract op, I had one done in Oct and was told the lens had been put in 'off centre', and I find I can't stay on the computer for longer than about 20 mins because the words seem to lose the lost few letters of each word, and am getting bad headaches as well.. My Ophthalmologist has written to the consultant saying she was referring me for Laser Treatment to correct it.. but I am still waiting, .. but I know they are so busy.

I am sorry I am unable to make any suggestions or help or advise you ..

I have been told my other eye needs to be done now, but I am seriously having second thoughts about going through this again .. although I am encouraged by you saying you didn't have any problems when you had your second eye done..

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate your comment. Let me tell you the problem is that when I look at things with one eye I see sharply, with two not so well and with the problem eye the letters in the words seem to lean to either side and merge depending of my direction. And like you letters or words disappear so in reality my total vision has been decreased because before with macular or no macular receiving Eyelea shots and using contacts I could see well. I am going on Monday to my retina doctor to ask for his advise whether laser will help. The surgeon said he could recommend another doctor for a second opinion but I think all doctors protect each other, and in that case it would be a useless waste of time. I wonder if the toric lens moved or if it should be replaced for a plain one.I will let you know. My friend said to the doctor, I will have the second eye done when this one is fine and that motivated him to do a treatment that worked. I thinks its a shame greed prevails.

• Posted

elizabeth87

Thank you for your reply elizabeth87,

Good Luck on Monday with your retina doctor... I would be very interested to know whether he recommends laser treatment as a corrective measure, (thats if you don't mind sharing it) ..

I agree with your friend.. I also am not having my other eye done until this eye has been corrected...

• Posted

jean, i am also having issues and will not do other eye until things resolve. i am having ghosting on brightly lit objects like signs at night. I dont know if it is true double vision because it isn't on regular objects...just like the high contrast writing on tv. i am not happy. My corrected vision was 20/25 before surgery and I should have waited for surgery.

• Posted

I am sending you a site of the University of Oxford below, they call this Vision Imbalance after cataract surgery and they indicate If you are normally strongly short-sighted or long-sighted, we can dramatically reduce the strength of prescription glasses you will need after your operation. However, as we usually do the operation on one eye at a time, this means that your eyes will be out of balance with each other until after the operation on your second eye. This vision imbalance is called anisometropia. (https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files/090427visionimbalance.pdf

This happens to me and its slowly corecting. Hope this helps I am just guessing they are correct, I am only a patient.

• Posted

HI elizabeth, yep...that is what is happening...imbalance. i am thinking it will be like this until the other eye is done which may be 18 months or so? who knows. Tonight everything looked good until i was watching tv and the clock on the dvr which is blue LED ghosted up. Nothing else was doubled...so weird. I read another article that discussed aberritions after surgery when the pupil is dilated in lower light...this is when it happens to me. The other possibility could be some uncorrected astigmatism in the surgical eye. So, do you think in time this will self correct? I hope you continue to approve. Thanks for the links.

• Posted

hudsongrl - ghosting and double vision can be from imbalance but can also be from astigmatism and pupil dilated in lower light. Are you watching TV in low light (or no light)? If you turn on more lights does the ghosting still happen?

Another test you can do is to close one eye then the other. Is vision double only with both eye open?

If it is due to imbalance and it is more than you can live with the surgeons will suggest you have the other eye operated on. But first experiment with a multifocal contact lens. An optometrist will let you experiment to see if that would help. Generally that combination works best.

• Posted

hi! I know from my optomotrist i have residual astigmatism in my rt. surgical eye...but too small to be corrected with a contact lens. Yes, it is with both eyes open and in low light. It never happens in daylight. i still see 20/20 out of my left eye wearing a toric contact lens, so there is no way I will have surgery on that eye yet. I may have to live with this or hope my brain is able to eventually neuroadapt. What does pupil size have to do with this issue? Can you explain that part ? I see my optho on friday and am writing a list of questions.

• Posted

Hi Hudsongrl - trying to piece together your story/experience. To keep thread all in one place and to benefit others looking would you start a new thread with your story?

Will try and respond to what I think some of your questions are. How long ago was your surgery and what type of IOL was implanted? I assume you had cataract surgery because that eye's vision couldn't be corrected with glasses or contacts to 20/40 or better. That was my case - eyes were both worse than 20/40 even with glasses and my optometrist codn't correct them and referred me to a surgeon.

All IOLs are 6mm in diameter (few older models were less than that). The younger you are as a patient your eyes dilate more in dim or dark situations. Sometimes the pupil will dilate beyond the IOL causing patient to view an arc around light sources (basically seeing the edge of the IOL). This is different than the halos and glare more people see (especially if implanted with an EDOF lens like Symfony or a multifocal lens). This happens less with a monofocal although it isn't 100% guaranteed.

Double vision may occur when only one eye is open (monocular diplopia) or, more commonly, when both eyes are open (binocular diplopia). Binocular double vision disappears when either eye is closed. This is why I inquired whether your double vision is present when both eyes are open or only one eye.

If you went in for a consult with your surgeon they would (or should) have explained process. I was given a date to see the vision clinic in the hospital and given a sheet of instructions (which included removing contact lenses 1 week for soft or 3 if I wore hard ones). Sheet explained that it could through off power calculation if I didn't. I just had to remove them 2 days prior to start the drops (antibiotic and steriod drops).

I do know depending on the difference in your eyes mow that one is operated on that it causes an imbalance. Some can find a contact lens for u operated eye and it works better than glasses. If that doesn't work often health plans cover the 2nd eye as one just can't go on with their being such an imbalance.

Are all the issues you are experiencing due to the imbalance? When you close the unoperated eye do you see well (at least at 1 distance)?

• Posted

should clarify for removal of contact lenses prior to eye mapping at vision clinic in hospital (this was done 2 months prior to my surgery). For surgery itself I had to start drops 2 days prior to surgery so was wearing just glasses at that point.

• Posted

Are you in U.S.? my experience was really not like what you describe. i'll start a new thread.

• Posted

No I live in Canada. Cataract surgery is completely covered by our medicare system - I wanted Symfony IOLs so paid out of pocket the diffrrence between monofocal lens that would have been covered. It is fantastic surgeries ate covered regardless of the lenses do less overselling by surgeons to line their pockets. Downside is you need optometrist referral and confirmation your eyes cannot be corrected with glasses to 20/40 or better. Takes months to see a surgeon and then I waited another month or so for eye mapping and 2nd exam with surgeon and another wait for surgery. Perhaps in larger cities less wait time but for me it was 8 months from diagnosis to surgery.

• Posted

in U.S you pay extra for toric or multifocal lens. Once measurements are done you can usually get in for surgery within a couple weeks. 4 weeks later final recheck and then on to whatever optomotrist you select. I had measurements done in December, chose to wait until Feb. 5 th for my surgery. Got my contact lens mid March.

i did start a new thread on my full story. if you have a chance could you look at it on my ghosting issue. yesterday i did not wear a lens in my surgical eye....no ghosting. seems to happen with contact lens in. no clue why?

• Posted

I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with this. I would absolutely seek another opinion, especially if your surgeon is being dismissive of your concerns.

• Posted

mjcg elizabeth87

thank you for your reply.. Yes I do agree with your comments, thank you

for them ..

I do hope you can get sorted very soon, I am sorry I can't offer you any advice, I just hope someone else can help and advise you..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.