I had cataract surgery 9 weeks ago and the letters merge, blur and tilt and disappear!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had cataract surgery 9 weeks ago and not only do I still see somewhat blurry, but I see shadows when I turn and when I read the letters seem to almost dance. They tilt to the left and merge with the next one and then tilt to the right and merge, sometimes the merge into the next one or change in form. Sentences curve to the right or sometimes curve up and down forming peaks. My doctor placed toric lenses for astigmatism and says that it happens because I have wet macula, then the test showed no leaks so now he says I have damage to my retina. I had the same procedure done on the other eye and I am fine after 2 weeks. He was dismissive saying your eyes will deteriorate don't you know? I said yes but my macular doctor just treated my eyes a week ago and he has taken care of my eyes with no problem. I am so frazzled, please help....

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So sorry you ate going through this and your doctor is dismissive. Wonder if he is too busy to look into the why or doesn't care. But your vision is important to you so if he won't investigate seek out a second opinion.

Toric lenses are notorious for rotating and need to be in exact position to correct astigmatism. As it has been 9 weeks you could go to your regular optometrist for an eye exam. If astigmatism is the cause your optometrist can correct with glasses and you would see well again with corrective lenses.

However if it is astigmatism and you paid for toric lenses your surgeon should correct your IOL. He can rotate it back into position or you can have it tweaked with a laser which if me would be preferable to have IOL rotated as it could shift again and carries more risk than laser.

Hope you get yo the bottom of this.

• Posted

Thank you so much I did not realize the laser would do that. I am seeing my retina doctor on Monday because. this doctor now says you have retinal damage. I know this is not correct because before this surgery I have been treated with Eyelea for three years and my eyesight has not changed for five years, how can this be if I have had the same contact lens prescription as before and could read and see well. Now with the problem eye sentences undulate and words lean to the right or left as I move my eye and letters merge and parts disappear. Before he told me toric lenses would allow me to wear no glasses. Anyway thanks for the information I will look into it.

• Posted

Just a correction, as my eyes are improving, the sentences are almost straight, and the eye is improving to the point I can read two more lines in the eye chart and I can read size 12 to 13 font without glasses . So lets hope that by the third month I will only need glasses for small fonts . As I said before, my left eye did well probably because I had the operation after three months on no contact use and my right eye had surgery only after one month of no contact use which might have been the reason that eye has not recovered from the shape change cause by the use of contacts as my doctor indicated. Unfortunately in the past they only indicate to stop the use two weeks before surgery. I think doctors should realize this is a change they may have to include in their directions to patients such us: How long do u use contacts? And since they know contact lenses modify the shape of their eye, direct patients to stop stop using contacts for 3 months before the surgery.

• Posted

If you can believe this my doctor only had me leave lens out 3 days prior to surgery. So glad your vision is improving. I feel like my clarity is, but this dang ghosting is making me nervous.

• Posted

Hudsongrl - I think removing contact lenses is only required before mapping your eyes - not the surgery

• Posted

Elizabeth, i had cataract surgery on my right eye 2 months ago. my left eye has a cataract but i still see 20/20 with -4.50 toric contact. what is happening to me is, i feel like my eyes are imbalanced and it almost feels like 3 D vision. i get ghosting/double images mostly at night on brightly lit things like signs or looking at words on tv. I have been reading about this, and I think it is because image sizes from each eye are not equal going into brain. I can tell the image is slightly larger in the surgical eye. I wish someone would have told me this could happen. it is driving me nuts and they seem to blow it off. I am wondering in your case and in mine if things will improve between 3-6 months. I know the cornea needs to heal plus the surgery causes dry eyes which can distort vision too. Did you try any artificial tears? wondering if our lenses are not centered properly?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.