I had mirena fitted four years ago Sept 02. I initially...

Posted , 29 users are following.

I had mirena fitted four years ago Sept 02. I initially for the first 6 weeks had very heavy bleeding and a shoting pain to my right side. I returned back to the clinic who gave me a scan etc and assured me everything was ok. Due to the heavy bleeding which had been continuous for 6 weeks I was given some tablets which helped to stop the flow of bleeding. I have to say that since this everything has been fine. No periods with the occasional spotting. However, in the recent months basically since September 06 - 4 years on I have noticed that I am spotting and although I can not say a real proper bleed I have passed a small clot or two. I did make a call to the manufacturers asking them have they had any feedback regarding the effectiveness of the coil after 4 years as opposed to 5 years and the response I got was not it should still be fine. Personally I am starting to worry as why now after 4 years should I start spotting and bleeding each month at a certain time.

Can anyone shed any light on this and have they experienced anything like this towards the end of the life period of the coil?

[i:d520fc8f51]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d520fc8f51]

3 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Unlike most of you ladies I have had the mirena for 3 years and I have never stopped having my monthly cycle. And here lately instead of my normal cycle for 5-7 days it has increased to another week so basically I have my period every other week!!! So of course I am very concerned I have spoken to my doctor but I have gotten no where, only that everything is fine and normal but after a lil research I have gotten no where. Everybody talks abt when they first get it placed but not so much years later... I'm to the point to where it's abt to get removed... is there ne one out there with the same issue as me or ne one with some advice...
    • Posted

Hey, did you get anywhere with this? I am experiencing the same as you. What did you do in the end?
    • Posted

Hi i still have the coil in slight spotting every 3 months or so but seems settled,if you are still having sex which i am not check it still protects you.i am 53 and it has took me through the menopause with no symptoms ,the nurse at the surgery told me i can keep it in and it will still protect me but i am not convinced about this until i find out off the doctor.jules .
  • Posted

Hi i have had my coil for five years i am just getting back to normal hormone wise, for the first time in five years i have managed to loose weight, i am spotting more now . i think the marina slowly lets out the hormone sometimes not ts much hence the bleeding ,there is a lot of problems with it, what the doctors dont tell you.If you are bleeding so much i would get it removed asap and get your body back to normal. julie.
  • Posted

I had then mirena fitted Oct 2011. soon after my periods stopped completely, and everything was going well. In the last 6 months my periods have started comig back, at first it was only light spotting, only requiring a panty liner, but the last few months has been quite heavy (compared to what I've got use to) have had to buy some

Super tampax!! And in the last month or so I've become super emotional and I'm sure it's my hormones! I never normally cry and recently I've been crying over the stupidest things and become quite grumpy! A friend suggested it could perhaps be my coil and that I should get it changed but I thought it was suppose to last 5years, not 3!!! Can anyone shed any light on this for me please!!

• Posted

My Mirina coil is due out in 2016 over the past 2 months I have have a very heavy period including blood clots which are worse then before, they are getting worse not even a heavy duty tampax will cover the flow and I'm started to get really worries as its affecting my sexual life, I've been to the doctors they just seem to fob me off, any answers or reasons to why this is happening? Would be much appreciated!!
  • Posted

Did you ever get your Myrena coil sorted out?

I have been using it for 3 years, initially it took a bit of time to settle but then no periods for over 2 years. Now I am have regular bleeds... not exactly periods but annoying just the same, and my face seems to have broken out in an ocean of spots. Have you found out anything interesting or helpful from your replies?

Thanks

• Posted

Since you have been using the mirena for the five years, you are now at the end of your experience. This probably happened because the hormone was now at the end. Mirena is supposed to be in for 5 years. Your body is now starting the monthly regular period sessions again to get ready for the mirena to be out. I hope this helped.

Lil Bit

• Posted

I can see that this post is a little dated but has anyone ever gotten an answer???? I have had Mirena for a year and a half now, my periods got heavier and my cramps got worse after insertion but I've been putting up with it for convenience. However, in the past 30 days I have had my period 3 times, this wouldn't be an issue if my period didn't last almost two weeks in the first place. I'm going insane, called a 24/7 nurse hot line and was told if I start to feint or get a fever I need to go to the emergency room, but in the mean time to schedule an appointment with my OBGYN asap (tomorrow or the next day since today is Sunday). 

I've been putting up with the cramping, longer periods, and heavier flow for the convenience but for the first time ever I've been experiencing PMS and am being a royal B to everyone around me. It's getting to the point where I'm going to want to get Mirena removed if this doesn't get better. Does anyone have words of advice??? 

Thanks! 

• Posted

I got mirena put in in mid June of 2011. At first I have some cramping anD alot of bleeding off and on like 3 weeks at a time super heavy flow a week between and I was reassured that I would be fine and it was normal to have those symptoms while my body gets used to it. After about 3-4 months my periods were back on schedule. They got lighter over time until I didn't even have to use a panty liner let alone a tampon. I had a few scares at first because I would get pregnancy symptoms for a week or two before my super light period came(sometimes but rarely) it would come a tad heavier. Sore, swollen breasts. Mood swings. Heartburn. All things that only happened when I was pregnant with my kids. checked a few times and took a few tests but I learned that eventually it was just how it was for me. Other then that I loved my mirena! No condoms with my fiance. No worrying about taking a pill. No needles every few months. It's been great but it's been 4 years and 7 months and I've had this weird period the last 3-4 days. Headaches. Sore crampy lower abdomen pelvis area. First day it was red and I had a few clots. I had to wear a tampon. Again the next day. Then it was this brown color and lighter. Im still sore and still with the light brown colored menstruation today. Started to get worried. My doc sent me a referral to my gyno to go get it prescribed and replaced. Thanks for all the info ladies. To the person who said it goes from 20mcgs to 12mcgs , I agree.

• Posted

I was just wondering if you know what tablets they gave to you?
  • Posted

Hi everyone.

Thank you for all your stories. I am having similar issues as you.

I am unable to get a straight answer from my doc or the hours of research online.

Everything talks about Mirena lasting 5yrs, and about insertion side affects, and removal for getting pregnant. Nothing official admits that at 3 yrs the effectiveness wears out. Nor what symptoms to look for or which are normal.

I'm actually getting a little mad, because not all of us are taking Mirena for pregnancy, but, period control.

So, I'm at 3yrs of having my second Mirena. Getting a regular monthly period. Nowhere near as heavy as normal, but, requires a pantyliner. The period pain that comes with that also. Feeling flat and not very interested in the world around me. Constantly tired.

I got this exact same way at 3yrs in, to my last Mirena insert, but, my doc says 'no - you are not due yet. It's not 5yrs.'

It's impossible that it's a flat 5yrs for every single woman, as our body's are all a little different and react to our environments differently.

There was a post above that said that the Mg delivered is lower over time. I'm going to see if I can find this info also.

Seems like it's in the best interest of the manufacturers to be hush hush about it. But, im finding this irresponsible and very frustrating. We need the truth so we can decide what to do.

We all know our bodies better than the doc, and I say, go back to them and demand it be replaced. That's all I need, in my situation, not complete removal.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Good luck to you all.

• Posted

I am having the very same problem i too agree that maybe 5 years is different for each women
  • Posted

I have had mirena in for almost 4 1/2 years always had spotting certain times also until recent i have been bright red and stringy. Thinking time to come out. If you find out anything please let me know because im ready to call my physician whom didn't seem worried.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.