I had mirena fitted four years ago Sept 02. I initially...

Posted , 29 users are following.

I had mirena fitted four years ago Sept 02. I initially for the first 6 weeks had very heavy bleeding and a shoting pain to my right side. I returned back to the clinic who gave me a scan etc and assured me everything was ok. Due to the heavy bleeding which had been continuous for 6 weeks I was given some tablets which helped to stop the flow of bleeding. I have to say that since this everything has been fine. No periods with the occasional spotting. However, in the recent months basically since September 06 - 4 years on I have noticed that I am spotting and although I can not say a real proper bleed I have passed a small clot or two. I did make a call to the manufacturers asking them have they had any feedback regarding the effectiveness of the coil after 4 years as opposed to 5 years and the response I got was not it should still be fine. Personally I am starting to worry as why now after 4 years should I start spotting and bleeding each month at a certain time.

Can anyone shed any light on this and have they experienced anything like this towards the end of the life period of the coil?

[i:d520fc8f51]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d520fc8f51]

3 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi! I was looking on Google to see if someone had something similar as to my situation. I never was a heavy bleeder when it came to my cycle and when I got the Mirena , my periods stopped almost altogether aside from the occasional spotting but not monthly. Not until a few months ago as I drew closer to the 4 year mark. Did you get anything figured out? Or if there is someone out there that could answer my question that would be great!
  • Posted

I’m having the same issue happen to me. I got my Mirena  at the beginning of September 2013 and for the past few months I’ve been bleeding  like a brownish red color but it’s not even enough to wear a pad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.