I had my dose of mirtazapine increased to 45mg almost 4 weeks ago anxiety has gotten worse gradually

Posted , 5 users are following.

IS THIS DOSE TOO MUCH

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

you havent given enough back ground information to say one way or another. most increases in anti depressants cause initial increases in anxiety. mine last between 2 to 3 weeks, just when id get to the point of thinking i cant handle this i need to reduce, the anxiety would then start to drop. if the anxiety is constant, with no let up, and its still getting worse, after 4 weeks, i would drop to 37.5mg. some people just cannot cope with large increases, or high doses.

• Posted

you havent given enough back ground information to say one way or another. most increases in anti depressants cause initial increases in anxiety. mine last between 2 to 3 weeks, just when id get to the point of thinking i cant handle this i need to reduce, the anxiety would then start to drop. if the anxiety is constant, with no let up, and its still getting worse, after 4 weeks, i would drop to 37.5mg. some people just cannot cope with large increases, or high doses.

• Posted

LIKE U SAID DONT THINK I GAVE THE 30 LONG ENOUGH NOW I THINK BACK WASNT DOING TOO BAD ON THAT ONLY ON 30 A COUPLE OF WEEKS I THINK NEEDED TO GIVE THAT MORE TIME MAYBE.IF IT WASNT FOR THE INCREASED ANXIETY I WOULD BE HAPPY WITH THIS MED KNOW THERES NO MAGIC PILL.IM AT DOCS TOMORROW TO EITHER STOP THEM OR AS U SAY REDUCE THE DOSE AS I DO BELIEVE ITS TOO MUCH FOR ME

• Posted

And also i have been on this dose of 45MG for 25 DAYS almost 4 Weeks and anxiety has got gradually worse over that time and isnt getting any better also lost my appetite once again headache racing heart my body wont calm down getting symtoms what i started with again wasnt great on 30 BUT i think bit better than this anxiety nowhere near as bad as now also had better appetite wasnt right but could function better.THANKS SO MUCH FOR ADVICE

• Posted

okay, you need to drop. theres a fine line, but think you have crossed it. drop to 37.5mg. the dose increments of mirt are too large. 7.5mg differences in mirt make larges changes and effects.

• Posted

Thanks hopefully get to see doctor tomorrow only have 3 45MG tablets left.Im going to suggest it to him/Her

• Posted

absolutely best thing to do. your anxiety will drop quite quickly, and 7.5mg will still give you a decent increase on 30mg. you get the 7.5mg, just by breaking a 15mg.

• Posted

Lee, Nigel really knows what he's talking about. Mirtazapine can be very activating at 30mg and above. I have been up and down on Sertraline and Mirtazapine combined. I have dropped back down from 45mg to 22.5mg and feeling much less anxious. The higher dose of Mirtazapine is great for depression but counter productive when you are struggling with anxiety. I was on 45mg for about 4 weeks a back at christmas time and felt like someone had spiked me with amphetamines.

• Posted

Hi dropped down to 37.5 on thursday will be my 3rd day tonight dont feel any different anxiety no appetite still how long to notice a reduction in anxiety cant take this much longer doc said to drop straight to 30mg i suggested the 37.5mg and she said yes give it a try.

• Posted

If you really feel that you were doing better on 30mg, then it sounds like you needed more time on 30mg. If it is unbearable i would drop to 30. If you have any Diazepam, Lorazepam etc it would help you to taper back down slowly, i.e stay on 37.5 for another 1-2 weeks and then drop. Ive noticed a massive difference between 22.5 and 30. I struggle to understand how they came up with incremental doses of 15mg as the different impacts of 15,30 and 45 vary considerably.

• Posted

okay . if your dr thinks 30mg, go with that. looking at your previous post, you were on 30mg only for a couple of weeks. thats too soon, to expect good results, and to increase. mirt is a bit quicker than most other anti deps, taking about 4 to 5 weeks for a dose increase to take full effect. drop to 30mg, that will lower your anxiety, and it should be noticeably better quite quickly. you will not have to wait to long to see what 30mg will be like, as spending time on 45mg will shorten period to see effect of 30mg. drop to 30mg, then wait 4 weeks, for things to settle down. once settled, if you need to go up, you can try 37.5mg again. second time around, 37.5mg will be easier to get used to, as you will not have elevated anxiety levels so high, with 45mg.

• Posted

i made same mistake just over a year ago on citalopram. didnt give the dose 4 weeks, before upping it. went nuts, mini breakdown, then had to come off it. really messed me up. 4 weeks is minimum period you should wait for dose increases, for most people.

• Posted

Ive had 37.5 for last two nights so u reckon i should drop to 30mg tonight?and wait 4 weeks to see what happens with that dose?

• Posted

yes, drop to 30mg. is safer in the long run. wait 4 weeks, then decide. you dont want the really high anxiety to go on for too long.

• Posted

Ive just took 37.5 just now ill drop to 30 tomorrow and wait and see thanks.

• Posted

Good Luck. The good thing about Mirt for me is that it always sent me to sleep even at 45mg. The dreams are like full blockbuster hollywood movies too on the lower doses 😃

• Posted

Dropped to 30 last night now will just have to hope things level out hopefully ill feel a bit better

• Posted

will probably take a few days, you did the right thing. your dr shouldnt have put you up to 45mg, after being on 30mg just for 2 weeks , it was too soon. need 4 weeks min, for the increase to get up to strength/effects come through. give 30mg 4 weeks, to calm down, will take that long.

• Posted

Still feel awful with this anxiety will it calm down doesnt seem like its going to end it doesnt id be happy if i went back to how i felt on the 30 Before i increased at least i wanted to do things and was happy to be around people not now should never have increased i shouldnt.Maybe i wouldnt feel how i do now.

• Posted

Dropped back down to 30mg over a week ago now felt awful nausea in morning and all day headache you name it feel awful dont know what to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.