I had no choice

Posted , 10 users are following.

After self medicating alcohol to sleep for ages I have finally agreed to Mirtazapine, I didn't want too. Took 7,5 last night and managed to sleep but feel really vague but I know that's normal and am severely depressed and I am sure the alcohol was making it worse. I read on the drug but right now it seems right for me. Very scared, off work but I think I have to ride it out. Support appreciated as I just see a black hole

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Mark 

Try to listen to the advice from the others as they have all been through the stages of the Mirtazipine taking its affect to work . It does help a lot of people but we are all different it will calm down but try to avoid the alcohol . I started on the 30 but managed to hold it . Just remember it's just a phase and it will pass See how you go I am now starting a slow withdrawal wishing well. . 

• Posted

Hi thanks for the message, 7.5 knocked me out. I just need life to level out I have gotten so low I had know choice left. Instead of stopping alcohol I have cut it right back very diluted as I feared withdrawal from that also. I just need a little help to get back on my feet as I am in a dark hole
  • Posted

You won't believe this...but...I have had so much trouble sleeping. I'm also an alcoholic who finally quit 4 weeks ago...sleep 1-2 hours wake up all the time...trouble falling asleeping...trouble falling back asleep.  I kept taking the sleep med when I stopped drinking even thou it didn't work.

I called for a refill...and there were none...I asked the pharmacist for a sleep aide without the antihistimine which makes my heart race...dry mouth and keep me awake...she suggested MELATONIN.

I said come on....if script meds don't work do you really think an over counter med is going to do it...she said OH YES...it works.

I tried it the highest dose..10mg...and slept 5 hours straight...I haven't slept so well IN YEARS...no matter what anxiety is going on in my head...I take it 45 minutes before I want to go to bed...and I fall asleep quickly and stay asleep for the most part...feel much better....Its totally SHOCKING and AMAZING to me try it!

• Posted

Hi Misssy

That's amazing, am gonna try this (if all else fails and before more drugs).  Are you in the States?  Here is UK my doctor hadn't heard of it !!!  So I will be asking around.  

Am withdrawing from Mirt & taking notice of any help re the sleep I can get, thanks for sharing.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hi Calmer,

I thought you might like to know that Melatonin is available in lots of dosages from Biovia.

I hope your WD is going smoothly.

Thinking of you.

Mark you have lots of great advice here.

With small steps and patience you will improve.

Best wishes.

Sunbird

• Posted

Hi Sunbird

Thanks for that, I'll be adding it to my list for later, just in case !!

I'm doing ok thank you, it's early days, my wd buddy & I have managed to get the Mirt liquid (not sure how far I got telling you my story) and have decided to drop 5% every 10 days or 2 weeks ... it's easier to work out with the liquid.  It will be interesting to see if it is any different to others stories, I am guessing that 7.5 downwards may get harder.  

Hows your sleep now? Any improvement on 5 hours? Not sure if you can remember Craig from this sight?  He wd pretty quick and had difficulty, went up again and then tapered slowly.  Been off Mirt' now totally for 6 weeks - can only sleep for ONE HOUR, been like that for weeks ... suggested Phenergen, he took it and slept like a log last night for 6 hours straight!  Just in case anyone might be interested, just saying, so there we are.

Nice to see you on here again, ttfn, keep smiling.

C  xx

• Posted

Other names circadin and melatol.....in the UK only by prescription!

Weird because a child could walk in a store here in the US and buy it in the vitamin isle...no lock cap...very safe medication.

My Dr. said best sleep alternative vs. sleeping pills that are prescribed or Benadryl which alot of people use to fall asleep (Benadryl is an allergy medicine that makes people tired..works for my friend).

• Posted

Day 2

Dreams anxiety and head is so vague, scared just need reassurance that I need to push through this. Please

• Posted

Mark hi,

This vague feeling is the Mirt' settling down, it will take a few days and then you won't feel quite so "drugged up" - trust the Mirt' as long as it isn't incrasing anxiety - but then if you sop drinking you may have a reaction from that and therefore won't know what is causing the reaction i.e. Mirt or Alcohol.

To begin with Mirt causes vivid dreams ... usually they are fabulous, sometimes extremely weired, but on the whole not too bad.  

I think the best thing you can do is try to set yourself up for repairs, it's good to get some exercise early morning even though you don't feel like it - CV exercise is a real tonic and helps with seratonin, or just go out for a stomping good walk and have faith - it WILL lift you up.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Words like WILL I am Literally hanging on them, hard to exercise but I will try walking, alcohol or mirt I have two work through it. I am a very dramatic person thankyou
  • Posted

Hi mark,

the 'fluffy' feeling during the day will settle after a week or so, stick with the mirtazipine. Ditch the alcohol, easier said than done but you won't getting the full benefit of mirt if you are consuming a known depressant. Try it for 6 weeks, look on it as an experiment. Talk to us on this forum, between us we have lots of experience with mirt. As Calmer says fresh air and exercise help. Recently I've started eating a bowl of porridge in the evening which appears to help me sleep, it has had the additional, unexpected benefit of reducing my cholesterol which has gobsmacked me & my doc. It's very difficult when you've used booze to getting to sleep for years as I did, so I really understand your fears. But you are off work at present so that pressure isn't there so this is a brilliant time to change things. After a week or 2 without using alcohol as a sleeping aid you are going to feel so good about yourself!

• Posted

Hi Sheila

I think youu and Mark could really help one another, sounds like you have a similar picture.

I've read an article re eating complex carbs before bedtime, i.e. wholemeal bread/toast/bagels/porridge - they have a sleep enhancing effect because they increase serotonin, a brain neurotransmitter that promotes sleep.

Also whilst I'm "quoting from the book" - deficiencies in Vitamin B, folic acid, can impair sleep, and magnesium and calcium are essential for normal sleep.

Now I've never really been into the vitimin side of being healthy, more likely to be trying to lose weight than anything else, skipping bread, pasta, carbs ..... and voila ..... major insomnia !  Looking back I can see a connection !

Porridge with the Mirt' then Mark & Sheila an hour before bedtime - all 3 of us !!

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.