I had to put my cat down and I can't stop crying

Posted , 23 users are following.

I've started to see my 14 year old cats health declining for a little while now. It got to the point that I could no longer see her suffer and had her euthanized yesterday. I have had her since she was 8 weeks old. I am devastated beyond words. I loved her as if I'd given birth to her.

How can I get through this pain and guilt I feel?

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Aw poor you my 1st cat died at aged 19/20 so I understand you.  It feels like your heart is wrenched out,  why is your cat failing? Is there anything you can do? Look after yourself and think of how good a life you gave this sweet creature.  At least you were kind enough to help this animal rather than leave it or neglect it like some rude cruel people do. 
  • Posted

I'm must be blind or thick or something but I misread your initial comments didn't realise you sadly had to have the cat euthanased,  but the rest was more important.  At least if it was in pain you were kind enough to put it out of pain. You've still done the best for it. 

• Posted

I had to put my cat down today as well. He was almost 16 and had hyperthyroidism for over 1.5 years. I grew up with him, and even though I wasn't as close to him as my grandma (who stayed with him every single minute of the day and shared her food with him), I was the one who gave him pills and took him to the vet. And in his last moments we stayed with him, and told him how much we loved him. He ate his favorite food and purred for us. But we could't bear to see him in the condition he was in......oh God, it was terrible. He was completely blind, had multiple tumors in his lungs and liver and he couldn't walk with his back legs anymore. We had to put him down. And it's hard, because now the house is empty and silent. But I know that he lives a happy life in our home and he was loved. He died surrounded by love. I don't regret the decision of putting him down, because I know I ended his suffering. I know it's extremely hard

• Posted

Oh that's made me sad for you!  It feels awful doesn't it?  I remember hearing my cat had died by being run over whilst I was on holiday and sobbing myself to sleep once I found out.  He was 20 and had very damaged kidneys.  You did the kindest thing by letting him be out of pain.  Well done for doing everything for him that you did, you are very brave and if it makes you very sad and really cry then so be it.  You're brave for saying on here any way.x

• Posted

ohhh my good,i dont know way i start looking to this,but my love cat he is now 9 ,very healty....but i just start thinking that you know still long way to go ,but it seams i cant get off my head one day i must say goodbye and f**k i dont want this at all....but thanks to you guys i see this is circle of life....it is just some time i wonder if i could go with him as well.....cant stand that i will one day must say good bye ....but thanks guys and be strong you guys show a lot of love to yours pet so =) be strong your pet is always with you for ever and ever.....
  • Posted

Hi Had my Gorgeous cat Lennie for over 8 years and had to have him put to sleep today as was diagnosed on Monday with cancer of the Colon. I got to spend 3 days with him but now he is gone. I'm devastated and can't stop crying. Can't imagine my life now without him.x

• Posted

I'm truly sorry for your loss of your fur baby I know it's not easy because I still very depressed over my fur baby she was only 10 years old but my husband and I had to make that dreadful decision to her her down I had my fur baby cremated and I have her he in a urn but I struggle with the fact that she is no longer here God bless you and I truly hope that things will get better for you in the long run

• Posted

So sorry for your loss mate i know how you fell ive had my cat for 3years my next door naybour moved out and left her 8 year old cat back then was snowing and she left him so me and my family decided to take him in how a nasty lady could do that to him i dont no anyway 3years later hes suddenly hiding away from me scared couldn't eat drink or anything at this point o started getting scared so i decided to take him to the rspca and i myself only thought he was sick the next minute im having the vet tell me hes not going to make it and if i kept him alive he would only live in pain and i couldn't believe it he was such a brave little fighter my top cat anyway i decided to have him put to sleep literaly the same day i take him there was all,so fast i never had job at time to take him and pay for treatment so i would never know what really was rong with my cat and the lady vet told me he could have treatment but would cost so money i could not pay at the time anyway what are your thoughts do you think th is lady vet was good to me or no? and yes everyone i am heartbroken right now same as you kenz 😦xoxox

• Posted

I want to type out a super long reply to this, but all I will say is this: I had to have my beautiful little best friend, Gracie, put to sleep 3 days ago now. She was about 17 years old and she was with me for around 13 of those years. 13 beautiful years. And now, she is gone and I do not have the words to describe my grief. She was not a pet. She was my little furry best friend, and a piece of my heart is gone forever with her not here anymore. I miss her so, so much. It is tough to type through the tears, but I just wanted to say... I understand. I miss her so much.

Mark, 37

• Posted

hi ken, what do you have to feel guilty about? you looked after that cat since he was 8 weeks old and it sounds like you did a great job! you think how much you've cared for that cat.vi know you'll feel awful for the fact the cat has gone but you should have a little bit of pride that you cared for that cat so well. you didn't leave the animal in pain in the end. in time this will ease.....

• Posted

oh my goodness i had to put my 14 year old cat down on Monday and I am also devastated and feel incredibly guilty. I know it was coming but did not realize Monday was the day. I am lost without her. I am so sorry you are also going through this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.