I had turp three days ago and it went well. Doctor wants to leave my Foley catheter on for 9 days.

Posted , 8 users are following.

It made me depressed, because I heard that normally it is left on for a day. Is this right? Does anyone know? Doctor said it was to heal. It's so time consuming to keep Foley working right and also to clean up urine from the leaking on your legs. It seems they always break down and you have to have them adjusted at the doctor's office or emergency department.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i had it in 2 days is all and it never leaked. lets things heal and flush out material he removed that gets blown up into your bladder. flush out the big chunks. rest you pass after its removed.

• Posted

I had a Foley in with the leg bag for three months while awaiting my Rezum procedure. Never had a problem. The Foley came off 4 weeks post Rezum. After any procedure there is swelling and probably clots that can block normal urine flow. This can result in a hasty trip to the Emergency Room. Did they offer self catheterizing as an option. The Uro nurse gave me a quick lesson and sent me home with a box of them after they removed the Foley 8 days ago. Best of luck, but as individuals we all heal at a different rate and have a different set of specific conditions to deal with.

• Posted

I had one in for 7 days after fla. It was kinda of a hassle, but didn't ever leak.

• Posted

Thanks for response. Makes me feel better. What is Fla procedure ? I"m glad it worked out o.k., for you. Thanks again.

• Posted

Fla is Focal Laser Ablation. Done with a laser while using a 3 t MRI machine. Didnt cure me but helped about 75 or 80%.

• Posted

Hi

Mine was left for 4 days and than the dr, decided to remove it, in order to pass the tiny clots a bit easier, as they block the catheter, all in all it all depends on the amount of bleeding during operation, and the color of the urine, of which serves as an indication for the Dr. You can probably ask for it to be removed earlier and test your ability to pass the urine without issues, in the worse case scenario they will need to insert the catheter again.

• Posted

they cleared my cath 3 times a day. most painful thing i ever felt. felt like they was sticking a knife in me and twisting it.

• Posted

I guess that your answer, as to why the DR, wants it longer, the bladder must be as clean as possible before removing the catheter, I know the drill, mine was blocked the pressure build up and they need to inject fluid and in the same time take out as much as clots they can. There is another treatment whereas they actually connect a full bag of water of which works together with the catheter to cleanse the bladder. On the positive side you are on the way to recovery, each day should come with new improvements, get well soon.

• Posted

i was on a 3 way. water in, water out, balloon to hold it in. big long saline bags run 2 next to eachother. out of surgery they sent me to my room with cath plugged. i told them something wasn't right. i felt like i had to pee bad. really bad. lazy nurse said thats normal. got to my room i told the nurse there its nit normal. its real bad. she looked tubes and cath was plugged.

• Posted

I had that just under 4 weeks ago. 22 French 3-way catheter and for some reason I felt the urge to pee and eventually started to pee around the catheter. At first I thought it was blood but it was just bloody saline and it turned out that I was passing a large lump that blocked the catheter, luckily for only a few seconds. Painful and to be honest a bit scary.

• Posted

Mine was in for 7 days after TURP again to let things heal, never had a problem with leaks etc. It is also handy to be taught how to back flush to stop blockages which occur with blood clots and other debris. By the way for more comfortable wearing of leg bags, I use a sleeve system made by Coloplast and it is a lot more comfortable than the strap system to hold the bag in place as I have incontinence due to prostate removal last year.

• Posted

Nine days seems excessive based on my experience and the results of many clinical trials I have read. Generally 3 days is typical. Mine was removed immediately following about 17 hours of continuous bladder irrigation. I was able to pee almost immediately, though with a very slow stream and a lot of discomfort. I was discharged and went home 5 hours later which was about 22 hours after the TURP was completed.

In the end, it's the doctor's decision based on his experience.

• Posted

I'm afraid that with the NHS in the UK it's a case of getting you out of the hospital, as there is always a shortage of beds especially January/February, and you are only allowed to stay for two nights. Then, if you have a PVR of 200ml or over you are sent home with a catheter with a tap so that when you feel you need to pee you open the tap. Luckily after my TURP I was irrigated for around 30 hours and, after the catheter was removed my PVR was 85 so I was sent home without a cath. I was told that otherwise the cath would be in for two weeks to allow the wound to stabilise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.