I had turp three days ago and it went well. Doctor wants to leave my Foley catheter on for 9 days.

Posted , 8 users are following.

It made me depressed, because I heard that normally it is left on for a day. Is this right? Does anyone know? Doctor said it was to heal. It's so time consuming to keep Foley working right and also to clean up urine from the leaking on your legs. It seems they always break down and you have to have them adjusted at the doctor's office or emergency department.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a urolift 5 days ago. I woke up with a foley catheter, which I hated. I took out myself the first day, it was painful to do, but now my prostate is healing and it feels better.

• Posted

How did you take it out yourself? I thought there was a balloon holding it in place and you needed the right equipment to deflate the balloon. That would scare me!

• Posted

You have to use a syringe to draw the water out of the balloon before you can take the catheter out. I have done it myself to the surprise of Drs, but having watched them do it so many times I know how it is done, I would add I only did it because it was blocked one night and I was in agony.

David

• Posted

I also took the one i had in the evening after I got home. Bloody mess it was

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.