I have a 7 year old daughter with lichen sclerosus

Posted , 10 users are following.

After years of mid diagnosis my 7 year old daughter has now been diagnosed with lichen sclerosus it's been a long road but after a skin biopsy it has been confirmed.

She has a variety of symptoms much of which is controlled through steroid creams however she does get severe stabbing pains usually at night all down below and usually lasts a few hours of which calpol/nurofen does not help.

Any suggestions or anyone with a daughter with the same condition?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering how your daughter is getting on?

My 8 year old daughter was diagnosed with LS 6 months ago and we are still struggling to find anything that helps other than daily baths. All the steroid creams have made her skin worse rather than better.

I'm really interested in the naturopath option, so wondered if you found that helped?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi,

Ava is now 8 and we are learning to manage a bit better. Daily baths really help and also steroid cream when she flares up. Only cotton undies and she takes a flannel to school to clean herself after sports if irritated as the longer it's left the bigger the flare up. We also added lots of anti inflammatory foods to her diet so lots of bright coloured foods Like peppers beetroot, berries etc. Ava struggled with bowls because of the condition and strong probiotics also help. She has definitely had less flare ups but I think it is very individual. I wish you lots of luck and hopefully this is something they will grow out of.

• Posted

Hi,

We struggle with fissures, as well but they are fewer than before. We use the steroid creams during flare ups and aquaphor every day and that seems to help. We use the probiotics as well.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I'm glad to hear that things are getting a bit easier for you and your daughter. The flannel idea sounds good; to be honest I hadn't thought about the fact that sports might cause more irritation. I think I might start to keep a diary to see if I can spot any patterns.  It's so difficult though, as she's starting to get really self conscious and doesn't like being asked about it. Thanks for the info about the anti inflammatory foods; I think we'll give those a try.  

Do you mind me asking which probiotics you use?

Yes, I hope that this is something that they will grow out of.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Thanks for your message. Sorry, I thought that I'd get a notification if someone replied, so haven't checked back for a few days. Glad that the fissures are fewer for you than before. We struggle with fissures too.  I've never heard of Aquaphor but will look it up.  I think I'll look for some more probiotics too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.