I have a date 😱

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a phone call today and my operation is booked for the 4th may less than 2 weeks for my total hysterectomy, I'm not going to lie I'm panicking and worried about op, im 41 thinking omg what do I pack and need any advice I would be grateful x

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's perfectly normal to feel worried believe me, I was. Regards

what to pack, night dresses not p.j.'s dressing gown, wash stuff etc,

Plenty to read, mobile phone, drink (not alcohol lol) if like me

You're not a fan of plain water, some large pants and roomy trousers

Or similar for going home, I took my own pillow in with me as well.

It also comes in handy to hold on your tummy in the car home.

• Posted

Thank you good idea for the pillow it's these things that help I will defo take mine x
  • Posted

Don't panic take some nighties as they are easier to put on take something to do to keep calm treat yourself to a new one give you something nice to put on afterwards that's what I did hope this helps anything esle just ask xx
  • Posted

Easier said than done,but don't worry you will be fine.2 weeks isn't long to prepare though.I had a TAH & BSO last April and to be honest it was an easier recovery than expected.I was in hospital for 3 nights but was surprised in how much I could  do straight away.I packed too much but I had  different things ready for my Dad to bring in each day as there isn't  a lot of storage space in hospital.I knew I had to have a catheter so I bought nighties but pyjamas would of been fine as the catheter came out next day.Aswell as all your usual toiletries take things like wet wipes,lip balm,magazines or books and a pen and notebook can be handy.If you take a phone or iPad remember the chargers but be careful with taking valuables in.Don't take much money either.Depends on which hospital you are going to the food might not be great so take some snacks.I had use of a tv but had to buy a card first.Most hospitals supply towels but it is nice to have your own and don't forget hospitals an be very warm so cool nightwear is better and loose aswell.I should take some sanitary pads as you might bleed afterwards for a while.I was very lucky and hardly bled at all.You have to drink a lot afterwards and I will warn you that you will suffer with a lot of wind which can be very painful.They do advise peppermint tea but if you are not used to this you will probably hate it.I had a supply of peppermint sweets.When you come out of hospital make sure that you wear loose clothing and slip on shoes is advisable.You won't be able to bend over to do up shoe laces.If you are going home by car put a cushion under the seat belt.The abdominal procedure is the worst but I don't know what procedure you are having done.My big tip is try and find someone else on the forum who is having the same op at the same time and send them a personal message to try and keep in contact my email.I did this and it really helped and we even phoned each other a few times aswell.Everyone is different when it comes to ops and recovery but you will know when you have over done it and the crucial time to be extra careful is the first 3 months.

Good luck

luv

Teresa

xxx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply that all helps a lot I was thinking of peppermint capsules from boots for wind, I will be getting my stuff for bag asap so it's all done my daughter is due her baby the day after that's why I prob feel so bad too x
    • Posted

Crikey, how did I forget to include, sanitary pads biggrin my minds sort of blocked things out after 16 months.
  • Posted

HI, I'm 3 months post op and as said previously the nerves are normal.  I worried about almost everything and now can't believe I've even had it done.  Rest when you can don't rush things and it'll be over before you know it.  Take a small cushion with you to hold onto your tummy when you cough, sneeze or laugh it works wonders.

take care

Teresa xx

• Posted

i would invest in some leggings,i found these the only thing i could tolerate post op,i normally wear jeans but i was so bloated,the only comfortable clothes i could get on were the leggings.....and yes take some nighties in but also pj's,as my catheter came out on day after my op,and i prefer pj's....good luck hun xx
  • Posted

Hi. I had same op when I was 40 too. You will be amazed on how quick recovery actually does happens after a few weeks but I won't lie it is sore at first so take pain killers offered. There is a lot of hanging around or there can be. I went in to pre op ward at 745 but didn't go to theatres til 4pm due to emergencies. But saying that I was back on ward at 9pm and discharged the next morning. Travel as light as possible as if you really need something they will get it or family can bring in. I got hubby to bring pillow for journey on way home in car. My bag consisted of Nightee, dressing gown, slippers, big pants! Lip balm as lips get dry, mobile. I wore in leggings and a stretchy dress and small space dolly shoes as you get into gown first thing so wore them home again, toothbrush stuff and Peppermints for wind. There's not much space in each bed. Are you having hrt afterwards? I wish you all the best.. you will be fine 😊
    • Posted

Thank you and yes but don't know which one yet suppose they will go through that with me I just want it to be over been a long journey getting here. Thanks for advice x
  • Posted

Everyone else has beaten me to it today... This lovely group have covered the what to take etc. All my stuff was catalogued on admission and I only took a few coins with me.  I took all my jewellery off at home - even my wedding ring!  Nice "big" knickers are the order of the day and something easy on the tummy - like elasticated joggers.  Slip on slippers and a light weight dressing gown.  Had my hair cut short - so it was easy to manage with just a quick wash and gel.  Take off any nail polish.

As was said earlier, sometimes you are kept waiting in admissions, I went in at 7am and got to theatre at 2pm back on the ward at 7pm.  My family were frantic as they couldn't find out where I was all day - I had no reception on my phone in admissions.  Tell your family not to worry!  I am a firm believer of "no news, is good news". My recovery nurse rang my hubby for me - I couldn't talk to him but it was a relief for them.  Don't be afraid to ask the staff anything you need to know.  Best of luck Elaine xx

• Posted

Thank you can I ask my work friend that they put a pipe in your tummy to drain the blood which they told me at pre op, but she said the pain was so bad she nearly past out is this right was very scared when heard this 😱 Xx
    • Posted

I don't remember that bit anyway you be asleep so you wouldn't know I had two amnestic which I was only told about at present op x
    • Posted

Ok thank you people tell you somethings and it throws you in a panick well me anyway lol x
    • Posted

There's no need to panic you'll be fine we will all be thinking of you when you had it done you'll wonder what you were worried about the hardest is the recovery and someone to look after you x💒
    • Posted

I had a laparoscopy - not a cut in tummy!  So I cannot answer about a drain. x
    • Posted

The drain goes in after you have been put to sleep.It is painful when it comes out but the sharp pain is just for a minute or 2.They gave me pain killers straight over.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.