I have a large lipoma on my lower back. I've had a MRI, ...

Posted , 27 users are following.

I have a large lipoma on my lower back. I've had a MRI, the doc looked at it and said nothing to worry about. I'm a nurse, I'm on my feet and at the end of my shift my lower back is pounding, my hips are hurting and my lower back will spasm. So in the meantime i take Naproxen, flexeril. These no longer help. Maybe another MRI is needed? Why does it seem to get bigger one day and feel the same other days?

[i:b6919e350f]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b6919e350f]

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had eleven small lipomas removed from the right side of my lower back a year and a half ago. They were painful, everytime I moved it felt like I had barbed wire in my back. Some of the lipomas were hard nodules that I could feel not too far below the skin. Pathology tests came back as angiolipomas meaning they had their own blood vessels.  I had this pain for 20 years and it gradually got worse.  I finally found a surgeon willing to remove them.  Surgeon said as soon as he made incision and pulled on the muscle, these lipomas kept coming up through the incision "blossoming like a flower" because there was no room for them.  The constant pain was they were being squeezed.  The surgeon took photos of them before he sent them to the lab.  I had the surgery shortly before I reached age 50.
    • Posted

Hello Sarah, I know it has been over a year since your post but I am hoping you can shed some light on your diagnosis. What was the diagnostic procedure used that the surgeon used to proceed with the surgery? An additional info would be helpful as I feel I may be in the same situation.
    • Posted

I dont know what the diagnosis used other than lower back pain ... all my research showed that since all these painful lipomas are considered “soft tissue” it is difficult to convince a doctor of your pain ... other than the fact that I (and the surgeon) could feel these lipomas under the skin in the exact spot where I was experiencing pain ... you just HAVE TO  find a surgeon willing to remove them. I first went to a dermatologist hoping they were not too deep for him to remove in the office with local anesthetic, but the dermatologist thought they were too deep and wanted to refer me to a surgeon.  It took the dermatologist 3 weeks to refer a surgeon.  I found a surgeon on my own the next day.   The surgeon talked me into several non-invasive approaches using supplements and infrared treatments, but finally I just told him they needed to come out, so we scheduled it.  I believe the surgeon was finally convinced of my pain after the surgery.  This is now Feb 2018 and I have another lipoma located more on the outer hip that limits range of motion bending sideways without pain but not near the pain of the group of lipomas that were removed. Would like for him to remove using local anesthesia in the office.... The medical industry needs to realize that this pain is very real and easily fixed/relieved with minor surgery.  To me it is along the same severity of an abscess under the skin.  Sorry took so long to reply ...
    • Posted

Hi Sarah,

Can I ask which type of surgeon?  How did you find one willing to do it?  I have been at this for almost 7 months and NO ONE will listen to me that it's my 3 lipomas in my lower back on my left side that is causing all my issues but that is EXACTLY where my pain is.  "They are free floating", "those don't cause issues", "that's your iliac crest"... is all I hear and I'm so done with the immobility I could crawl under a rock.

The sciatica is crazy, I just want my life back.  

• Posted

Hi there did you end up getting the lipoma removed or did the pain go away. I have a Lipoma in my lower back I am always on my feet due to my work. The pain is unbearable by the end of my shift get about 4 hours sleep a night. Waiting to see a surgeon been waiting for 8 months.
  • Posted

hello i have suffered with lipomas for the last 20 od years and just found that taking tumeric supplement for joint pain has started to reduce my lipomas. just 4 weeks of taking tumeric the lipomas are half the size. Not sure if this will help you but is worth giving it a try. all the best Lee
    • Posted

Hi, could you please reply with the form, brand and dosage of Turmeric that you are using? Thank you so much!!
    • Posted

hello samara. the tumeric is made by olivers organics. the bottle has 90 capsules that have 690mg of tumeric and 10mg of bioperine. black pepper. it helps the body digest the tumeric. my dad has lipomas too and he is taking them and its working for him aswell. hope this helps. i got capsules from amazon.
  • Posted

I found out today the fleshy lumps I have at the bottom of my back are lipoma ... I have about 3 and one is larger than the others and tender to touch.. I also get very aching hips ... but I've been told it's due to my other conditions which are osteoporosis, 2 bulging disks , sciatica and inflamed sacroiliac joints. .. but I'm not convinced ... the aching hips have only been a problem since noticing these lumps..

• Posted

try tumeric capsules. works for me no more pain and lumps are shrinking. had loads removed before trying tumeric.
  • Posted

I have a flat dome shape in my neck is 2 cm long but hard and not red,swollen  I don't know if I have a a lipomas or a  cyst?

• Posted

Hi

I have a small skin coloured lump on my back only slightly raised from the skin, it's been there for years and an MRI hasn't raised any issue, what could this be? I have muscle pain in my back when I press around different places but don't know whether the two are related

• Posted

I just had a nickle sized lipoma removed from my back in the lower right thoracic area after 10 years of achilles pain, hip pain, back pain, lower leg pain, not sleeping well, could not stretch into a comfortable position, my chiropractors always found that my right leg was shorter than my left leg.

One huge problem with the one I had removed was how it lay in my back.  It was perpendicular to my back muscles but parallel to the floor and every time I would sleep on my back or on my right side it would cause me to sleep badly.

When I first located it the primary I had then told me it would "just come back so we don't take them out".  She should have had to endure 10 years of suffering due to one of those miserable things.

The general surgeon who took it out said it was in fairly deep, but from his opinion it was only a lipoma (benign), not cancerous,   BUT... he had to make 4 or 5 attempts to move it completely out using the suction equipment.  The most horrible part was the odor left from his use of the laser to cut open the incision.My advise to you is...change primaries to one who knows something and won't try to deny that it can be a very bad experience.

• Posted

I have/had something similar and the lipomas were pressing on a nerve and causing aweful pain. I had to have mine removed because the pain was getting worse. I would ask for another MRI.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.