I have a rectocele and cystocele repair in three days..

Posted , 11 users are following.

I went to my pre op apointment and the doctor told me " there is really no pain" I want to know what others think of this comment. Everything that I have read and watched paints a completey diferant story. Being positive is one this, but I feel she should have told me the whole truth. I'm scared to death. Advise????

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

There are quite a few of us that can advise you I would like to set your mind at ease. I felt a lot of discomfort but the pain pills worked very well. I would stay ahead of the pain.

My biggest suggestion for you is to eat light the days before surgery. This will make it much easier to have a BM after surgery. Drink a lot of water.

Ask for a pill before they pulled out the packing. It only last a few seconds but it would be nice to take the edge off.

I would suggest a pillow under your bun when you head home.

• Posted

I had the bladder prolapse (into the vagina) repaired at the same time as the hysterectomy.  I had no pain at all.  None at any point.  No bladder problems, nothing.  I can still remember my first walk to the loo from the bed and suddenly that prolapse wasn't there!  I could have danced:-))))  It was brilliant!  My repair did fail though but that was most likely because I have a connective tissue disorder, but most people find theirs are fine:-))))
    • Posted

I should have added, I did take Ibuprofen as instructed because they told me even if I didn't need it for the pain it helps with inflammation.
    • Posted

It's the inflammation that causes some of the pain. Regular anti inflammatory medication is excellent as long as that's the only cause of the pain.
    • Posted

Ah, so that's what gave me such an easy ride with it then:-)  I think probably if they hadn't told me to keep taking Ibuprofen, even if I had no pain, I wouldn't have kept taking them so probably would have got the pain then!
    • Posted

Possibly Chris but you could have a very high pain threshold. It's usually the bowel prolapse repair that causes the most pain though.
    • Posted

I think you could be right Matron.  There have been other instances where I should be crippled with arthritis but am managing and they seem surprised.  But yes, I have heard the bowel one is more painful and also I believe the vaginal vault is too.
  • Posted

Andrea

Plan on wearing loose clothing for a few weeks. Sweats were great easy to pull on and off.

Buy a good quantity of pads (maybe 4 weeks worth). I bought Always Infinity Flex Foam - they work very good. Change the pads often to deter any infection. Looser fitting panties would be good also.

Take your pain med's as directed don't get behind on those. DO NOT LIFT over 10 pounds because it will set you back a day or two.

For the next few weeks your body will resetting itself. Keep up with your stool softener's you "don't" want to be constipated. I did find that if I took some TP and held the area where the stitches are during a BM it made it easier.

Beware "spicy or greasy food" won't be worth it!!

If you are a reader you might get a couple of books to look forward to!!

• Posted

I can not tell you all how much better I feel now. You are all so awesome. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.cool
    • Posted

We will be thinking of you and pulling for you. How nice it will be when it is all behind you!
  • Posted

I agree with Matron this is totally untrue.  Although a friend of mine said to me if they tell you the truth no one would do it.  My most painful part was after coming home from the surgery on day 3 when trying to do a BM.  This is the area I would concerntrate on getting right from the day you come home.  I personally think the hospital should not let you leave until you have done a BM.  I wish I took  movicol or any drinkable heavy duty laxative from the day of surgery.  My experience was really bad (don't wont to frighten you) but I can't stress enough how important it is not to get constipated.  The problem is the pain killers as they constipate you so you really need to counteract that effect before leaving the hospital.  Today is day 5 for me and I am starting to feel okay.  Drink lots of water and eat a light diet when you come home fruit, prunes, chicken broth soup and little bit of light meat for BBQ chicken and fish.  No rice or pasta which can be constipating.  Good luck I hope if all goes well,  If you can get your bowels right it is a big help.
    • Posted

I'm so glad you're feeling better Rita.  I've been thinking of you:-)  The hospital gave me movical there to continue taking at home, from the day after the op.  But I'd been on laxatives before I went (senna) so I wasn't constipated at all before the op, and I stayed on the movical after that because it works so well - so much better than senna.  I just wonder how many of us have a tendency towards constipation and how that may have played a part in the prolapses?  Before I went on to movical I used to sit on the loo for a while and do a puzzle (sorry if this is too much information, but I just think it might be relevant) and now am thinking that HAD to make things worse, but since starting movical it doesn't take me any longer for a BM than it does to do a wee, pretty much.  I'm in and out like a shot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.