I have a rectocele and cystocele repair in three days..

Posted , 11 users are following.

I went to my pre op apointment and the doctor told me " there is really no pain" I want to know what others think of this comment. Everything that I have read and watched paints a completey diferant story. Being positive is one this, but I feel she should have told me the whole truth. I'm scared to death. Advise????

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a vaginal hysterectomy, posterior and anterior repair and I can honestly say I had absolutely no problems at all.  I took paracetamol IV for the first 24 hours and other than a bit of tenderness in the nether regions I've had no pain.  I asked for an enema to help with the first bowel movement and this really helped.  I'm going for my post opt apt on Mon and I'm hopeful after that all 'activities' can be resumed.  I would advise as little pain relief as you can manage so that bowels don't be a problem. 
    • Posted

You were luck Linda but I just want to clarify something. Not all analgesics affect the bowel and some patients can take Codeine for instance and not be affected. Anti inflammatories don't cause constipation neither does paracetamol. I don't want ladies reading this and not taking these type of drugs and most nurses and doctors advise regular pain relief in the first week to keep on top of the pain. If codeine or cocodamol is prescribed very often Movicol or other bowel medication will counteract the effects on the bowel. Any patient suffering from post op pain will not recover as quickly as a patient who has had regular pain relief.
  • Posted

Yes of course there's pain. I would be seriously questioning her skills as a decent urogynaecologist then as she can't even be honest to her patients. There is no need to be scared of pain from surgery as medications are so good these days. I only took synthetic morphine for 2 days then panadol was enough. I also found a heat pack helped on day two after 2nd catheter was removed and I needed to pee and hadn't yet. Because you don't want to push to go, but relax to just release, so holding a heat pack low down abdomen helped me go. I passed 830 mls that 1st time!! You will be sore for weeks after too and especially if you over do things once home.
    • Posted

Great advise. I can't even imagine what I would have done without Y' All. God bless you
  • Posted

Can I please get some advise about what Stool softner is the best
    • Posted

andrea I honestly think they are all very similar and what suits one patient may not suit another. I'm sure some ladies who have recently had surgery will have some good recommendations x
    • Posted

I was given by the hospital (and told it was the best one) a macrogol based laxative, and have continued to use it rather than senna that I used for years (on prescription) despite it saying it shouldn't be used for years, so am very happy with the macrogol one now.
  • Posted

I had no pain either until a week after (I'll be 2 weeks post op anterior and posterior repair in 2 days) and then it was cuz I walked my almost one year old outside a few blocks in his stroller it was like crampy and sort of like searing or fire on my internal stitches but that makes it sound really bad which it wasn't. Took naproxen I got on discharge. I didn't have repair to my perenium although I wanted it my doc said she's seen worse than mine (!!?) I had cysto and recto repair I went home the next day after general anesthetic and I don't feel good about this part but I went right back to lifting my 24 lb baby! No choice am parenting him and his six year old brother alone...can't wait for my six week checkup in January I worry I do too much and have wrecked my stitches etc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.