I have been battling Vertigo for over a month.. PLEASE HELP

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was diagnosed with BPPV Vertigo. My doctor did some neck exercise and that stopped my world from spinning. HOWEVER, I am now dealing with half spins, that feels like brain zaps. My equal Librium is way off, my head has this dull pounding pain. When I am in bed if I turn over I half spin, sitting still I'm half spinning. This is happening all day like every 5-10 mins. It makes me nauseous, an it's very draining. PLEASE HELP! This is really consuming my life....

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm getting over the same thing!   I had my first PT session last week and they did the Epley Maneuver, which is what they probably did with you....  When did you vertigo start?   Mine started on 6/27 (was in the ER for it) and I'm just NOW starting to feel like my old self.....  For about a week after it happened, I was having the same symptoms you are.   Eventually they did go away and the PT session helped immensely.   I have a 2nd one this Wednesday to hopefully work out the last kinks…….  Did they get you any meds, like Meclizine to help?
    • Posted

Hi Sara, Thank you for responding. Yes, that's exactly what he did. My vertigo started 6/8/15. I was spinning really badly for 2 weeks. The ER only gave me Meclizine... They didn't do the Epley Maneuver. It wasn't until I followed up with my PCP that's when he did it. So, the deep spinning has past.. Now, I'm feeling these half spins that feels like brain zaps... It's so bad in the early mornings or when I lay down at night. He thinks I have TMJ and that's where the head pain is coming from. HOWEVER, I don't think so. Can you please tell me what else do your PT doc do for you? Do he continuously do the Epley Maneuver on you?
    • Posted

I'm going ini for the Epley PT again on Wednesday....  Other than that, I'm not doing anything else...... I was on the Meclizine but weened myself off.   I got tired of that "foggy" feeling and walking around druged all the time biggrin  On another board, people have said to find relief with this video  _______

Just don't do it after certain time at night.  I did it and I was up all night, because inverted head positions give you energy.  However, It did relieve some of the pressure in my head and made me feel better for a short period of time. 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

If you're asking WHY I'm asking you that.... It's ONLY for help!
    • Posted

My answer wasn't why..... For some reason the website is monitering my answer before posting it???  I included a video that gave me some relief from my Vertigo and wanted to share it.   So I think they're monitoroing the video.  I'll try sending it in a proviate message
    • Posted

Good morning Sara....

I wanted to say thank you so much for the link to the video. I did it as soon as I got home from work.... It helped me out. I intended to do it again this morning, but I was sleeping so good... I woke up late. LOL! I'm feeling just little touches of half spins... Not as bad as it was yesterday or days before. I actually feel good. Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!! I pray all works out for you as well. Have a great day.....

Question: Have you heard that TMJ plays a role in this Vertigo condition? I ask because... My doctor is saying that's where my dull headaches are coming from. Then I read on another forum, someone was asking the same thing. I'm just curious to know if it plays a part in all of this. Also, caffeine... Do you know if that makes it worse?

• Posted

You are so welcome!  I'm glad yuo found some relief.   Do it a few times a day (giving 15 minutes breaks between each set) and you should feel more relief. 

I haven't heard anything about TMJ, but that would make sense for the headaches....  And yes I have heard that caffeine can make things worse.  I only drink 1 cup of coffee a day (if that) so I personally wasn't worried about it.  However if you drink a few cups a day, you might want to cut back.  I also read that alchohol should be cut out as well.

• Posted

It should get better. Mine did but it also came back when I had minor ops. BPPV is probably the best one to get as other causes seem to be harder to get rid of. I hope it improves foe you.
    • Posted

Thak you! I hope so too. It is truly kicking my behind. I'm only 75 days into my new position and I can't afford these many doctor visit with no relief.
  • Posted

The epley manouver is meant to reposition the crystals in the ears that have moved into the wrong area of the ear canal which causes the spinning.  Sometimes not all the crystals move back and sometimes the go back after being respositioned.  WIthout the epley they eventually dissolve over a period of weeks.  I have had 4 to 5 recurring episodes over 2 years.  Each time the spinning is not so bad as the second time i had BPPV, so i am adapting faster to this condition.  I am due to see an otologist on 22 July as between bouts my balance is affected for some weeks to see if there is anyway i can help myself get better faster.  Best wishes for your recovery.
    • Posted

Thank you. My balance is terribely off. On Monday the 20th I go back to the ENT doctor to have a ENG done. I'm praying on some relief really soon. I will include you along with everyone else in my prayers as well. Vertigo is something serious.... I'm finding most people are NOT even aware of it. I was one of those people until... June 8th when I tried to turn over in bed.
    • Posted

thank you  I became aware of it in Sept 2013 when i turned over in bed too.  At first i thought i was coming down with a head cold or something.  It was the 2nd episode a few months later that left me unable to walk through a door without holding onto the frame.  At that point i took one month off work to recover.  I haven't had such a bad episode since but i have had further episodes.  Certain movements trigger it off, trying to get something out of a top cupboard and lifting my arms above my head is a particularly bad trigger.  You will find a way through this as you learn what triggers you off most, but rolling over in bed is not something we have much control over when we're asleep though ehsmile  Stay positive, hang in there and you can come out the other side and enjoy the times when you are dizzy free.
  • Posted

It's disabling..Praying daily for people who are suffering this disorder..Exercises to move crystals helped me..and as did sinus rinses, and getting the ears to pop.  i first had an episode in Dec.  Then July 3..i was on the floor for 2 days..Nauseous, dizzy and very sleepy...Grateful for new carpet!I will have a good day, then as Anne said, something will trigger my vision to spin..gosh i hate it..back to moving the crystals...and that gives relief... wish I had more to offer in the way of remedies.
    • Posted

also it is meant to help to sleep with 2 pillows rather than one, so the crystals have less chance of moving into the wrong area, but as i have a bad neck i sleep with one pillow.  These past 2 days, after weeks of feeling much better,  i have felt it simmering away in the background with my vision going off again but am hoping it's not leading up to another attack. Thank you for your prayerssmile
    • Posted

Good morning! Thank you. I tried a different exercise last night that SaraCuda sent me a video of. It actually seems to be working. Although at this very moment I feel little touches of it.... I'm not claiming it. I'm staying positive and know that my body is healed. As I said before... I will keep all of us in prayer. This condition might not be life threaten, but it sure does consume your life.... Thank you once again for sharing... Have great day~
    • Posted

That is encouraging to hear!!! Continued prayer for your health and balance to be totally restored, and that of everyone on this forum. in Jesus' name.  Please keep us posted. Today was a better day for me. Only a little dizziness/headache... I'm so grateful!  smile 

• Posted

I'm so glad to hear you had a good day. I had a wonderful day also. Just very little spins, but this is the best I've felt in 2 months almost. Thank you for your prayers... I'm claiming total healing in Jesus name for all of us. Please keep me posted as well.. Have a blessed night.
    • Posted

Perhaps the bad neck is contributing, Anne? I'm sorry you can't use 2 pillows...also have a bad neck and visual clarity comes and goes.. Praying against another attack and for you to enjoy optimal health.
    • Posted

Yes i do think it is a contributing factor to the visual problem as have a bulging disc back of neck, very stiff neck and when i turn my head my vision goes wonky on occasions, therefore have to be extra careful when reversing.  Thank you for your kind wishes, and same to you too. God Bless you too. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.