I have been losing weight drastically (Plus , muscle spasms , nausea , headaches )

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hey people , So I am a 24 year old male thats been having a heck of a problem. I am going to try and describe as best I can as to whats been happening to me recently and what I have currently done to try and sort my issues. So about 5 months ago maybe more I started losing a bit of weight, that didn't really matter as I had just come off a diet as I had high cholesterol and thought my metabolism was working itself out. Then as the weeks went on my body got small and smaller to the point my wrists are tiny and my bones are way more visible on the arms and legs. I then started to get muscle twitching and spasms which freaked me out a bit so I went to the docs.

At the doctors they did some standard tests like hitting my knees and elbows to check reaction, a coordination test, blood pressure and a few blood tests to check levels. That was all 100% so because my GP took a look at my records and saw i used to be a bit anxious and I used to take medication so they wanted to see if it was my anxiety causing the issues. this is where things went real down hill. they put me on sertaline which is meant to be a "standard" med for "depression?". I took it for a month and noticed I couldn't actually feel my arms or legs because of numbness and I was incredibly weak. Had a look online and apparently sertaline is used to relax muscles in some cases. this is the opposite of what i wanted as i worked in a fast past dangerous environment. so I came off it.

I went back to the doctors and said I need more specific tests and they didn't know what to recommend ?! so I had to go home and research what kind of tests I might need. The best I could come up with was to see someone in neurology as my legs and hands were going haywire with cramps, twitching and because my arms and legs were getting smaller ect. I went back and said I wanted to see one, they referred me and I have had a series of other tests, nerve conduction's , mri and ct scan of brain and spine. all have came back fine, the guy that checked my nerves said that they are Benign twitches and that alot of people get them. But I still have the problem of what the hell is going on with my body, why do i feel sick all the time and dizzy. They doctors said I need to look down less serious paths as they have ruled out tumours in the brain ,bleeding, any serious nerve disorders and imbalances.

I have also checked for STI's because of the amount of partners I had in a sort period of time and that was good.

So my question is whats next? I am not well at all and am losing the will at bit being told to pretty much sort myself out. I have had to leave work for a while. I don't know the specific blood tests they did but the one i had last night was around 5 tubes. that i think checked for more serious problems.

Just to add that my stomach is always upset. I pretty much can't go no where without not eating for at least 3 hours prior otherwise your looking at a spout of stomach pains. though i have had that for years but it wasn't as bad as it is now.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have a lot of your symptoms because I have haemochromatosis,iron overload. Your problem may not be because of this but doctors don't have the wit to test for this,as my fellow sufferers will testify. Get your serum ferritin,transferrin saturation and liver function tested. If the results are elevated you should be referred to a gastroenterologist or haemotologist. My doctor didn't even know who to refer me to. Because of your age it may not be this but it's best to check it early before any damage can be caused.

• Posted

weight loss, within the context of drugs, fitness, or physical fitness, refers to a reduction of the full frame mass, due to a median lack of fluid, body fat or adipose tissue or lean mass, namely bone mineral deposits, muscle, tendon, and other connective tissue.

• Posted

hi there , if just come across your post , n I to have been experiencing some very similar things , weight loss , this started like u about 4 mnths ago n in that time iv lost about 2.5 stone , I have the muscle spasms n my body just seems to be falling apart , I to have had all bloods done a ct scan off chest , pelvis, abdomen , all coming back normal , had a colonoscopy n encoloscopy , n same again , they proved unremarkable in the doctors own words . the doctors n my family seem to just want to focus in anxiety , but struggle to believe that this alone can cause the weight n muscle loss , weakness etc . did u manage to get to the bottom off what was causing your issues . its driving me mad as I'm certain something isnt right , we know our own bodies . any reply would be helpful . I hope your well n on the mend now . cheers danny

• Posted

hi. I m going through same condition.

How is your health now. Did you put some weight on.

Hope everything will be ok one day.

• Posted

hi there , I began feeling a little better and gained some weight after xmas , but I still struggle with stomach problems , headaches , keeping weight on . what is it your experiencing ?

• Posted

Hi, had a notification of activity on this post so thought i'd check in! Glad you are doing ok, although not 100%. Sounds similar to me, i'm eating & sleeping far better than at Christmas and some weight has gone on, however that may be as i'm having a baby in September, which distracts from the ongoing issues I have with discomfort in my neck/back when swallowing/a few minor niggles. Haven't seen a GP about if since January as I think we exhausted all options, & my respiratory consultant has been cancelled sue to COVID. Fingers crossed we all continue to get better.

• Posted

hi there Sarah, firstly congrats on the baby news 😁. glad to hear you've improved in some ways . sounds similar to me , I felt better but thers still ongoing things that continue to 'niggle' as you put it . like yourself I feel I exhausted all options with docs , if I ring up now , I imagine the doctor on the other side off the phn picking it up and thinking ( oh it's that hypochondriac again) , offer him some anxiety medication etc .so i continue to live with it n try to overcome things as n when they come on . it does make me feel a little frustrated , having to live with these health issues instead off getting to the bottom off them and fixing them or minimising them . anyway like you said I hope we all continue to improve and live as normal healthy life as possible , especially you with your little one on the way 😁

• Posted

Hi, i'm having similar issues, weight loss and lack of appetite over 2 months, lots pf tests and scans all clear. Still feel terrible but gp says it is anxiety, the issues have made e anxious but the issues were there first and are very physical. Don't know where to turn/what to do. Good luck!

• Posted

hi I'm sorry to hear about your troubles , I'm in the same boat , the physical symptoms started , the drastic weight loss etc , then followed the anxiety or so I'm told by doctors and family, I'm generally not an anxious person. it wasnt like I was stressed n then I was getting the symptoms , the weight loss etc just came out off nowhere , I'm pretty sure theres something more than anxiety going on , but finding out what is proving very difficult and frustrating .

• Posted

it really is frustrating! It is a relief when tests come back clear, bit so hard when feeling so ill and no idea how to fix it. Saw my Doctor today who admitted he was stumped and has prescribed some stronger reflux tablets

• Posted

yes I agree , iv got to the point where I want a test to come back with something , then I'd be able to start the process of fixing it and recovery hopefully . I know that there is something going on , I have lost 2.5 stone in 3 mnth , not just fat , muscle mass aswell , my arms n legs are getting thinner n thinner and I fear if I dnt get a diagnoses sooner rather than l8er it myt be to l8 . I keep plodding on , I'm going to see a urologist on monday , hopefully they can shed some light on what's going on . I hope your tablets can give you some relief . keep in touch and let me no how you are getting on , all the best .. danny

• Posted

I'm at that point too, anything is better than this limbo. I'm drinking Complan shakes as well as forcing food down every day to try and stip the weight loss, I have also lost muscle mass. As I was a little bit overweight people are saying I actually look healthier now, but I definitely do not feel that way,I feel so weak. There also seems to be very little online about people going through this, so will definitely keep on touch. I'm in the Uk and been off work for 9 weeks. Feel terrible in the mornings with nausea and wretching but going to try going back in the afternoons from next week as being stuck in the house on my own all day isn't helping, and no idea when i'll improve so got to start trying to live for a few hours a day at least. I hope you appointment goes well on Monday and you start to improve.,

• Posted

Take care.. It feels like hell as you are explaining. Try doing some yoga and some meditation. That has helped me come a long way. Get well soon.

• Posted

hi there,

i also have gone through a lot of testing and nothing seems to be coming up. theres something thats gone haywire in our bodies, but how is it possible they cant find it!? let me know if you have any info that could help.

• Posted

dear GREY133 I CERTAINLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH. i too have been having the same issue. i have lost an extreme amount of weight and muscle mass. i have had 2 colonoscopies, 2 endoscopies, MrI! Ct scans and more blood work than I CAN COUNT? ALL HAVE COME BACK 100% clear. on top of that I HAVE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH TASTE AND SMELL? NO ONE SEEMS TO BE ABLE TO TELL ME WHAT IS CAUSING MY WEIGHT LOSS AND MUSCLE MASS LOSS? THEY TELL ME THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO CANCER SOWHAT IS WRONG. i would appreciate any inpit I COULD GET? FUSTRATED AND SCARED? HELP!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.