I have been suffering alcohol with drawals. Now on Chlordiazepoxide need more information

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was on my 4th day of with drawals. I finally decided to get medicine. They prescribed me 75mg 3 times a day for 3 days Then 50mg 3 times a day for 3 days the 25mg 3 times a day for 3 day. After that I start 10mg 3 times a day for three days then stop. I feel like that is too much for as far as I had already made it threw my with drawals. My with drawals were moderate on the 4th day. Any in sight on if it's a nother addicting path or can I take till I feel no more symptoms then stop.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's impossible to tell, not knowing you or any medical details.

Being on your fourth day, I would probably skip the 75mg period and go to the 50mg or 25mg period and see how you feel and adjust as neccesary. A week or so will not make you addicted.

That is based on my own experience of detoxing and is not medical advice. It is good if you have another adult with you - friend/partner.

• Posted

In my experience the first couple of days were the worst. As you are on day 4, I would agree with what RHGB has said.

You will not get addicted after this shsport course of Librium. I'm no medical advisor, just going from personal experience.

• Posted

Sorry short course
  • Posted

I would personally just take them as needed until I felt better.

Just be thankful you have them to take and you are NOT drinking...the pills are not going to cause you any harm...and just depends on how you feel.

Hopefully there will be no "next time" but what I do with my benzos is take as needed for the withdrawals..and save them if I don't need them..in case I need them in the future.

• Posted

Thank you. This was mainly the answer I was looking for. I went a total of 8 hours on the 5 day and felt a slight bit of anxiety. But that was it. Even tho the symptoms only came at night for me the first 4 days. Thanks for the help!
  • Posted

generally Chlordiazepoxide ( librium ) is prescribed prior to alcohol withdrawl and would be taken at the higher dose for the first 48hrs and then tapered down over a 10 day period 

however Chlordiazepoxide can also be given to patients presenting acute alcohol withdrawl to releive the distressing symptoms such as shaking,anxiety and in some cases hallucinations 

since the Chlordiazepoxide is being used for a clinical reason theres no chance of addiction .. its simply releiving the unpleasent symptoms your experiencing and allthough you have been given a dosage plan and some have recommeneded stopping as soon as you feel better i would complete the plan ... the Chlordiazepoxide may give you the illusion of feeling better but by completing the dosage plan you can safely return to normal with zero symptoms 

in summary complete the prescribed course and you will be fine 

best wishes 

• Posted

There is no such thing as a course of Librium for treatment. If medically supervised, it will be given as felt that it is needed, with the dosage either being upped or reduced given how the patient responds.

It makes no difference whether a benzo is given for clinical reasons or taken by someone, like having a painkiller, the propensity for addiction is the same. The reason that he has been recommended to skip the original amounts, is that he is already four days into detox and 225mg a day of librium is quite high. It would appear that he has been given a standard amount, with standard instruction for taking it, not taking account of where he is into the detox phase.

From personal experience of being detoxed in hospital and having home detoxed, there is no requirement to be taking it for 10 days.

• Posted

I was also told to follow up with my original physician for more prescription after these. I just feel like maybe The doctor at the emergency room couldn't quit understand what I was trying to explain. 4 days into with drawals and the worst of my symptoms were flushing of skin, insomnia, and some anxiety only from worrying about seeing everyone else's storries of trying to withdrawal at home. Paranoid of the same issue. I never had convulsions or anything to that nature. I am greatful I have the medicine for help tho. But generally thought the dose was way to high. So I have decided to take the dosage 2 times a day instead of three. And lower from there as prescribed. and it is working very well on my second day of the meds so far.

• Posted

Insomnia is normal, until the brain settles down, the Librium is meant to counteract that and you should be sleeping fairly well now. Anxiety strikes most people, as alcohol blocks out most problems and when sober, we begin to think about all those issues we'd been hiding from.

Your issue now, is how you go forward, how you deal with not getting yourself stuck in the same rut.

• Posted

There is will be no going back. In no people have said that many of times. But my problems was family get together and most all of my family drinks. So it was hard. But I just chose to live a different path. Thanks for the insight!
    • Posted

You have to decide whether or not you're going to drink again. You need to have some sort of plan.  Either TSM or taking campral. If going with the anti craving drug campral , then you need to start it asap

• Posted

I never craved alcohol. I did it because I was surrounded by the fun and excitement. But when I decided I wanted a healthy life I went threw these. And honestly I wouldn't mind if I never had a drink again. Just wanna get over these symptoms. I know people who are addicts and it's took over their like. This hasn't took over my life like others I seen. I drank on nights or weekends. Woke up and did my daily duties. Just when decided I didn't want it and these side effects came along with it. Started to subside over 4 or 5 day and the doctor prescribed me such a high dose. I feel like it was unnecessary

• Posted

in the uk alcohol services do a 10 day librium home detox ... this is done between the service and your gp/doctor ... the alcohol service do some initial counselling sessions and then notify your doctor who will prescribe the librium prior to cesstation on drinking 

however i understand other countrys have different guidelines,however in the uk all benzodiazepams are strictly regulated and only prescribed for short periods 

i know this as ive been on the home detox and know its still the same now ....that said many years ago ( 1988 ) i was in withdrawl while traveling back to my army barracks and a hospital in london prescribed me hemenevrin ( clomethiazole ) which was used in those days for alcohol withdrawl .... this helped alot and i was told to take it twice daily ...

librium is a life saver for alcohol withdrawl in either hospital or home .. but as with painkillers when used for the purposes they were designed for the risk of addiction is lower than if used recreationally 

it goes to show were you live ( im from liverpool uk area) will have significantly different ways of prescribing medicines 

• Posted

Things have changed since 1988 (30 years ago). Especially the medical profession's attitude to benzos and possible addiction.

All my home and hospital detoxes have been in the last three years.

It is very rare to get an NHS (home) detox these days or inpatient. I got mine because of being admitted to hospital by my GP for liver failure and then a brain haemorrhage and they expected to operate on me.

Because of my special circumstances, after I slipped off the wagon, my GP, twice precribed my diazepam for an unsupervised home detox. The majority of people, do not get this option.

All the detox clinics, funding for alcohol support withdrawal, inhouse inhospital detox facilities that used to exist, have virtually been withdrawn. The support that used to be there, is no longer.

You will most likely be referred to an ARC, that is staffed by utterly clueless people, who either haven't heard of medication or refuse to even discuss it.

If you have an alcohol problem, you are treated as a leper, not someone in need of help.

• Posted

I presume your providers wanted to make sure you're "covered" for an adequate period of time. There can be delayed symptoms of withdrawal (after 7 days). Chlodiazepoxide is very long acting so you'll have some of it your system for several days after totally stopping.

Finally, a 9 days course should not result in getting addicted to chlordiazepoxide. You may want to check with your providers as to their rationale

Good Luck

• Posted

Thank You. The doctor said I went threw the worst 4 to 5 day worst symptoms on my own at home. So prescribed me such a high dose. I cut my dose in half on my own and literally have no symptoms or cravings. I plan to keep cutting them in half I never had delirium or convulsions, fever etc... just insomnia. Shakes. Being aggravated cause I couldn't sleep. Fast heart rate and burning/ flushing of skin. I was just worried after reading the internet it would get worse and got help I drank for about 7 month with occasionally breaks. My point was I was never a long term alcoholic so the dose was to high I felt terrible on my first high does of the medicine so I cut my does in half. And feel better. None the less. It is something no one should ever want to experience wether mild or extreme. I had so young. Alcohol is the only thing I have ever done. Beside smoke. And I plan to. Never drink again if that's what it does to ones self. Thank you all for encouragment most people don't understand.

• Posted

we understand the guilt, the cravings and the shame. You are doing great. Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.