I have been suffering alcohol with drawals. Now on Chlordiazepoxide need more information

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was on my 4th day of with drawals. I finally decided to get medicine. They prescribed me 75mg 3 times a day for 3 days Then 50mg 3 times a day for 3 days the 25mg 3 times a day for 3 day. After that I start 10mg 3 times a day for three days then stop. I feel like that is too much for as far as I had already made it threw my with drawals. My with drawals were moderate on the 4th day. Any in sight on if it's a nother addicting path or can I take till I feel no more symptoms then stop.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I haven't took Librium in a little over a day. I'm am allergic to cats and came in contact with them. I have always taken Benadryl to stop the allergy. Can I take a Benadryl with out it interacting with the Librium? ( I haven't took a pill in a little over a day)

• Posted

Hi All, Ive been prescribed Librium 10mg X 3times day. I had my  first dose just over an hour ago Im sweaty nauseous but the worst thing is horrible anxiety. Im  wondering howlong before librium starts to work ? Ive done cold Turkey before and had drenching night-sweats and high harte rate does Librium help to reduce heart-rate as im worried tonight will be Hell...Thanks

• Posted

It is hard to comment without knowing your exact circumstances. That is, your history of drinking and your medical records.

But at a guess, the dosage you have been given is too low. If the medication is given correctly, there should be no withdrawal symptoms.

• Posted

When I took my first dose it didn't take long till I noticed the effects of librium. However I know everyone is different and reacts different. I was already over 4 days into with drawals (I was at home). I decided after looking into the harms of doing it your self to go get something to help take the edge off. The worst part of it was insomnia, fast heart rate, and anxiety. Of course I was so dang aggravated already cause I couldn't sleep with a lot to do every single day so that added to the mix. But the moment I took the prescribed Librium I felt the symptoms taper off gradually. And I just decided to lower my dose of Librium on my own after about 3 or 4 days after that. So a total of about 8-9 days after I stopped drinking I started to feel 90% better. Things will look up your way. It's been over 20 something days since I took a drink and I don't crave it. And hope my will power to stand away from it will only increase.

• Posted

The bit that you have to notice is, for you, for your first three days (forget that you had already gone past this) they prescribed 3 x 75mg a total of 225mg. Suze has been give 3 x 10mg a total of 30mg.
    • Posted

I guess I got off topic. What I was getting at is yes the Librium helped me with with drawals. I had a prescription for 10 days. I chose on my own to taper off of that in a short 3 or 4 days. Mainly because of how long it stays in your system. And I have been job hunting. I didn't want it showing in my system. In chance of it interrupting a job opportunity. Do whatever works best for you. The first day or two after getting Librium I took as prescribed. Then after that I wouldn't take it till I started feeling the with drawals again. And kept that cycle until I just didn't take it anymore.

• Posted

I understand. I was only giving my back story of it all to her... honestly I don't know how it will effect everyone. Everyone has a different story and a different outcome. But every story is a inspiration to someone who secretly wants help or is going threw it all.. I know my post and hers almost have nothing in common.

• Posted

THank you I think i may have to up my dose as symptoms getting worse (It's been 6hrs since my lastdrink ) Apart from alcohol issues im otherwise fit and healthy

• Posted

You should speak to whomever provided the medication. I do not want to advise you, because I don't know your history, but I have the medical leaflet that comes with a pack of librium in front of me, and it does tend to indicate that your dosage is very low.

If it was diazepam/Valium, then it would appear to be right, but Librium is usually higher doses, as I said, call the person that gave you the medication.

• Posted

I got it from GP But  it came in a bottle Chlordiazepoxide 10mg. with no information just dosage etc

I'm sitting it out as far as i can, there's no way i can get to GP Today.

Ive given up  alcohol for the few days, two weeks and then a Month in the last year. Got these tablets a month ago but never stopped drinking enough to start taking them. After recent Vodka binge i decided Enough

And so i've started to use them Past experience of cold turkeydetox i've generally felt better by  day 3/4 

• Posted

Thanks for your advice im surprised your withdrawals started on day 4 as im usually starting to feel better by then. Today has been hell and dont think my dosageis high enough but im hanging on till 7pm to take another  as believe it builds up due to long half life. So Fingerscrossed. 20 days well  done! Are you getting any anxiety now?
    • Posted

Ah, you are in the US then. All UK medication comes in a blister pack in a box, not loose in a bottle like they are sometimes sold in the US. And in the box are patient instructions. Although personal instruction would be printed on the box by the pharmacy given by the GP.

Yes, I agree with you, day 1 & 2 is the killer for cold turkey, day 3 is a lot better and by day 4 you are almost back to normal.

I have done a detox at home, when I was given instructions that were too low (the whole detox took two weeks) and it felt almost the same as cold turkey.

The next time I did it, I almost doubled the dose for the first two days and was fine after the fourth day. That detox was absolutely fine and I felt no withdrawal symptoms. That is how a detox should feel.

• Posted

No I'm in London, my librium came in little brown bottle! 28 tablets, perhaps they had to split box ?

Thanks im taking my next dose now, see how it goes i'm sweating hot and cold exhausted and anxious but no dryheaves or shakes

• Posted

Strange, if you're in the UK, you will be used to blister packs then, in boxes with 28 tablets.

The other issue I found, the first time I detoxed, when the dosage was too low, was that you took your medication at breakfast, lunch and dinner. I found for the first two nights, the medication would wear off in the middle of the night and I'd wake up with the sweats and a racing brain, that wouldn't let me get back to sleep. That is why when I took it the second time, I took another dose just before going to bed, to see me through until morning.

Yes, you will be exhausted, you should try to drink fluids (non fizzy) and eat something, even if it is only something like soup or yoghurt.

• Posted

No, I had with drawals for 4 days before I decided to go get anything done about it. I went threw 4 days of hell also. But no anxiety no anxiety now so far. I did experience some a little while after Quiting. But all together I am glad i decided to stop.
    • Posted

Oh I see, sorry my brain's not very clever Today!

Glad to know no anxiety so hopefully i can get through ,as this forme this the worst part I cant move much and hot/cold will expect the sweats tonight. Good to find this forum found good advice and realising not alone with this

• Posted

Ive managedone slice toast and marmite (for bvits) and water

Thanks for advice and support

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.