I have been talking colchicine tablets for gout now for 4 days and they are having no affect on the pain or swelling

Posted , 27 users are following.

1 tablet twice a day

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Is there any reason you can not take an anti-inflammatory medicine, e.g diclofenac or naproxen ? If there isn't then speak to a doctor about trying this instead.

Tarun (pharmacist)

• Posted

I am on high blood pressure tablets and i think that is the reason,i think there is no reason why he cannot up my dose on the gout tablets
  • Posted

The usual maximum dose of colchicine is limited to a total of 6mg per course, i.e 6 days if you are taking 0.5mg twice a day. This is because the drug can be quite harmful if taken in higher doses or for longer periods. Speak to a doctor - if the colchicine is not working they may need to try something else e.g a single steroid injection into the joint to control the inflammation.

• Posted

In what way harmful,and my as my doctor as give 30 tablets does that mean i can only take 12
  • Edited

I have had gout for about 20 years and it has progressed from once or twice a year and resolved by taking one or two anti inflamatories. Diclophenic sodium then naproxen. Recently, I am now 65 the attacks have become more frequent and persistant and the doctor initially gave be colchicine but I had to stop taking my daily simverstatin and aspirin. When this wasn't effective I was put onto Allopurionol which is supposed to prevent the production of uric acid crystals. I have had gout almost permanently since taking the asllopurinol and some of the most painful and long standing attacks ever. I was given cocodamol and a course of steroids (prednisolone) These resolved the problem but it is now back with a vengeance and I have had a painful foot top bottom and toe joint with attacks in both feet. Thankfully not at the same time. The naproxen gave me relief for one day but then it came back and got worse each day. I have now been prescribed Indometacin and I have been taking these for three days with no effect and I am having to take painkillers every night to get any sleep. If I knew what was causing it I would stop eating or drinking it but my diet is restricted as I am type diabetic and have B12 deficiency, high blood pressure and a duplicate kidney one half of which is dead and has 2 litres of fluid in it. I do drink 3-4 pints of real ale most nights but the symptom do not improve when I have a few nights off. Any advice would be appreciated.
    • Posted

I've had three attacks in 3 years and have just taken my first colchisine (i hate drugs generally), after suffering the first two attacks naturally. The one thing that does it for me is REAL ALE. This time I made the mistake of going to the pub three times in a week (two pints each visit) and that had the effect of severe symptoms across one whole foot unlike just a big toe before. I suppose I'll have to give beer up now (final pleasure in life - GONE). I'm OK with red wine though, obviously not too much.'Hope I die before I get old' - The Who were remarkably prescient for youngsters, at the time?
    • Posted

I think I can answer some of your questions and concerns. Firstlt, anti-inflammatories. Diclofenac 50mg together with tramadol is the way. If you catch it early enough it will stop it over-night! Cocodamol isn't strong enough, Tramadol is much better but be careful it can get you feeling a trippy (it's an opiate based painkiller). If you have colchicine you can take simultaneously, job done! I'm surprised you're being subscribed Indometacin though, most doctors don'e use this any more which is a shame because for me it worked perfectly! BTW, a couple of paracetamol together with the Tramadol helps too. Be careful with the Tramadol, it's an opiate and is, or can be, addictive. It's 4 times more effective than Codeine though so worth it!

Allopurinol; You can only start this medication if you have been free of gout for at least 10 weeks or it will bring an attack on (as it has in your case).

You say that if you knew what was causing your gout you would stop eating/drinking it. 3 to 4 pints of real ale every night sounds like the culprit but I suspect you already know this? You might want to try knocking the beer on the head for a month and se how you get on? People will tell you not to eat pork, chicken, red meat, prawns. mushrooms and blah blah. If you cut back on animal protein and up your fruit and raw vegetables/salads this will help

But... ween yourself of the beer and meat slowly as a sudden change in diet will cause your body to produce high levels of Uric acids. Gout can also be brought on by an injury (this just happened to me! Cartlidge went on my left knee and 4 days later I got gout in my right knee and right hand/wrist - not nice)

I hope this helps?

• Edited

STOP DRINKING BEER...! Whatever form you enjoy contains two substances that make sure you never get rid of your gout.

Alcohol defeats Colchicine!

It also exacerbates gout. It is rich in purines (which break down in your system to become uric acid in your blood, which it turn produces needle sharp crystals in your most distressed joints).

Beer also contains guanosine, which prevents your body from getting rid of excess uric acid.

Taking allopurinol is ridiculous if you have not been entirely gout free for at least 4 months, preferably longer as taking it while ou are gouty will make your gout a 100 times worse.

If your doctor knows about your ale consumption he is derelict in his duty of care to you for not insisting you give it up...NOW. There is no point in even treating you otherwise. It's like trying to cure a dedicated smoker of lung cancer...what's the use?

So here's how you tackle your gout problem:

Stop any purine rich foods (including beer and other alcohol, most Italian sauces, anchovies, sardines, shrimp, prawns, crab, lobster, halibut, mackerel and all oily fishes, asparagus, spinach, peas, beans, lentils, organ meats, beef, venison, lamb, chicken, turkey, all processed meats and sausages, bacon, ham, all soft drinks ( even sugarless ones), most fructose, corn syrop and the list goes on - you can research this yourself.

Take 2 colchesine with plenty of water and another one a half hour later and keep drinking water. You may or may not get some running bowels...if you do your gout will start leaving immediately. (It is said you have to run before you can walk).

Take paracetamol for any pain and do the Colchicine routine again tomorrow. if you still have severe gout.

Tell your doctor what you are doing.

Stay off the p**s and you will greatly enhance your chances of staying gout free until you can get on to allopurinol...and then you might succeed. 

• Edited

It seems I'm having the pleasure of gout in my life for the first time. It also appears there is little or nothing to avoid the pain. Which for those who are suffering is excruciating.

The lack of proper sleep and lack of response from pain relief tablets is probably the nightmare issue for meas it also seems for many others.

It is bizarre that a relief medication is not available and only random experimenting by each individual seems to be what to do.

Doctors appear to just go from one remedy to another in the hope you will get bored and find an

alternative to bothering them. I would be happy to hear of any success stories if only to gain some hope.

• Posted

if you catch it early (you'll normally learn to recognize these pains as they brew!) get 100mg of Diclofenac into you immediately, then 5 or 6 hours on another 100mg and same before you go to bed. Also take Tramadol (or cocodemol if you can't get Tramadol) together. If not gone by morning start on a course of Cochecine, 1 tablet 4 times a day and kee on with diclofenac etc - 24-48 hours and you'll be right as rain!
  • Edited

I am not work in a medical field but only the experience of my gout for over 8 years. I experienced my first gout attack when I was 30 years old. My first two gout attacks were back to back lasting nearly 4 months. Taking Allopurinol during my attack only made my attacks worse. I now refuse to take it. It took lots of time, lots of pain, and much trial and error before I could control it. I watch what I eat very carefully that is not to say that I have been completely gout free. At the first sign of gout flare, I will take 660 mg of Naproxen and, so far, that has stopped all of my gout attacks for the past 2 years. This is my experience, and everyone is different.

Understand the difference in the medication you take. Each may have a difference purpose. Some are preventive medicine to reduce uric acid build up. Others are anti-inflammatory (NSAID) used only to reduce the pain.

Learn what your gout trigger foods. Everyone is different. What triggers gout for me, may not trigger gout for someone else. Alcohol, sodas, and shellfish are common gout triggers but they many not bother you. So do your own research and see what you can handle. Drink lots of water and try to reduce the acid intake into your body. The are many home remedies available but they are not for everyone. Some can cause other problems.

Good luck. Gout is not fun.

• Posted

Hi Mate,

I was wondering how you were going? Do you still have gout attacks without using allopurinol. I want to come off it and watch what I eat. Do you get full flares or just dull pains now when you are off the allopurinol?

I don't seem to be getting intense flares but I'm getting dull arthritic pain under the foot since being off it. I'm also 34

• Posted

Hey mate,

I was curious about how you are now these days. I had gout at 30 and started on allopurinol. Are you still off it? Was trying to change diet and use suppliments but my uric levels just keep rising without.

• Posted

Guys, if you really want to change your life then use Reesai Joint Health. My mother is using it and she feels great now. Our whole family suffered a lot because of her, each movement was pain for her and she had attacks very often. I could probably say that she has tried almost anything that exists on the market... From home remedies, homeopathic products to medicine, but nothing worked well for her (although cherries helped a little bit). She had to have constantly someone next to her who was helping her with daily life and she was de facto disabled person. She is back to normal again and can take care of herself. Made all our lives so much easier. Good luck to everyone!
  • Edited

Just to keep you updated. My current attack of Gout? began last Tuesday with a familiar twinge in my ankle as I went to bed on Monday night. Tuesday morning both ankles had flared up and both feet were painful to walk on with pains on top and underneath and my little toes feeling dead.. My left ankle was the worst and started to swell. I took some colchicine and co codamol pain killers and managed to get through the day with some episodes worse than others. The rest of the week was too painful to sleep in a bed and I was on the sofa with my knees raised and a pillow between them. I took the full course of colchicine 3 per day for 3 days and continued with the Allopurinol No improvement so went to the docs who prescribed blood tests for uric acid to see if the allopurinol was working and if so we needed to look for another cause such as arthritis. The pain got worse and moved its centre from my left ankle to my right achillies and on up my leg to my hip and back. so painful I could not raise my foot off the floor. I started taking naproxen with my co codamol and after two days the severe pain subsided back to a bearable pain like a strain or a bruise. I can now walk fairly normally but the weakness is still there and gets worse if I sit or lie down for any length of time. I will let you know the results of my blood tests when I get them later in the week. For information I understand that colchicine can do kidney damage and naproxen damages the liver if taken regulalrly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.