I have chest pains...and Dr's say there is nothing wrong

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am a 30 year old woman who has always been healthy. Recently the past 2 months I have had a chest pain and been to the hospital multiple times thinking it's related to my heart. They have done ekg, and echo ultra sound of the heart, xrays, ct scan, and of course blood work. Everything comes back normal. They say it's anxiety but after being on anxiety medicine and having constant panic attacks I'm thinking that they are wrong. I get a pain on the middle or left side(below breast) of upper abdomen and sometimes it's right in the middle of my chest upper chest..other times it's on my left side near my shoulder, it on my left forearm, elbow, or wrist, and sometimes back..they are quick pains that feel like a stab or shock that last a second or two but I'll get them on and off. Sometimes I can go a day with out it and just feel pressure or discomfort and other times they happen a few times a day. I wake up feeling nervous and shaky and I don't know if it's the anxiety or the medication causing it. I feel like I'm going crazy. My dr doesn't seem to concern and have an appointment with a new one. I also have an appointment with a cardiologist just in case but if they say it's fine what else could it be? I've read it could be shingles. But I don't get any rashes. Or it could be a nerve. I just know that I had never had anxiety like this before. Anybody have any thing that it could be? Please help with any ideas.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You can dismiss it as heart related, if you have had ECG, Echo's, CT and x-rays and nothing shows up you are in the clear there.

How do I know, husband has heart failure and echo's are a part and parcel of his life, from the results they can see if there is anything getting better or worse with his heart muscle.

He was very ill 6 years ago, and has improved consibably by staying as fit as he can, swimming, cycling, and walking, but not too much, just enough to get a little breathless daily.

What else could be going on, gastric acid production that is burning your stomach, anxiety would only make this worse.

Anxiety is a real nasty condition, husband had it after he was diagnosed with heart failure, Dr's telling him there was little they could do for him, at least they were honest, he had to do for himself.

We both husband and myself went to psycholist to try and understand why he had such strong anxiety, we learnt about flight and fight, why it happens and what we could do to prevent the fears and anxiety, over months of talking and understanding the why's and wherefores we came to a happy medium that we could learn to live with.

Best wishes to you  -  lyn

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi there,

I just read your story and I wonder if there are any improvements of your health? I am facing with the same symptoms and no doctors seems to take me too serious. I am just curious if you had an diagnostic or you're good now ?

All the best !

Report Reply
  • Posted

I had chest pains mainly at night in 2013. Told a nurse she was not interested and said my test results were good.

In 2014 I caught flu which turned into bronchitis which would not go away.I told a doctor in 2015 he said I had indigestion, I knew it wasn't.

All of 2015 and 2016 I was getting very little sleep because I could no breathe properly. In 2016 the doctor said I was in good health for someone my age (69).

In August 2016 I had a massive Asthma attack in the middle of the night. Today I still do not know how I survived it was horrific. I went to the doctor again but they still did nothing. I bought a blue inhaler online It is a lifesaver I am now prescribed Fostair and Spiriva.

Asthma can cause chest/heart pain. To diagnose it you need a breathing test at your doctors.

This may not be your problem but its worth checking.

Good luck

Report Reply
  • Posted

I am 19 years old and going through the same thing as you. As I’m writing this I have pain on the left side of my chest. I went to the hospital and got the ekg X-ray, ct scan and the IV. They also told me nothing is wrong. I hear it’s anxiety chest pain but I’m not so sure.
    Report Reply
  • Posted

Hello, I too am a 30 year old female with exactly the same story. If something doesn't happen I feel like I might lose it no doctor has been able to figure it out the cardiologist said it's not my heart after having a good echo done. Now nerve conduction tests coming in a month I already missed two weeks of work i don't have much choice but to try to go back tomorrow and pray for the best because I'm not cleared by doc and undiagnosed. Did yours get worse when you'd try to lay down? Or activity even just talking straining at all?

Report Reply
    • Posted

Hey jill,i have the same story,it may be pneumothorax, i had this 6 years before on the right lung,doc's said everything it's fine a million times , i was keep going again and again cause i was feeling that pain and everything was fine ,normal one day i endend up with a collapse lung and i couldn't move a finger , looks like it's very hard to diagnose ,now i have the same pain on the left one ,i have already been to many doc's and everything looks ok still ,i don't know what to do anymore i going crazy,hope the best for you

Report Reply
  • Posted

I had chest pains at night. See previous post. I have COPD and Asthma. It seems the only way doctors can detect this is with a breath test. Its best to ask for a test early in the morning when symptoms may be worse. If your lungs have to much liquid inside them it is hard for the heart to pump blood through, hence the chest pain. After I was prescribed inhalers my blood pressure dropped 10 points, now its well in the normal range.

Two weeks ago after a 999 call they found I had a very large duodenal ulcer. This can also cause chest (and stomach) pains. I have been to the doctor asking for relief from these pains FOR FORTY YEARS. In the hospital the consultant said lets sort it now. I have had a good life but it would have been a lot better without indigestion every two weeks! Go back to your doctor.

Report Reply
  • Posted

33 year old female. Started with chest pains a few months ago and ended up in urgent care. They did and EKG and chest x ray and ruled out any heart condition. Doctor diagnosed me with costochondritis, gave me anti infflamatories and sent me on my way. Still dealing with the chest pains and primary recommended putting lidocaine on chest and it helps a little.
    Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi am having same problem am 42 and this started like 2 months ago went to emergency and all seam ok went too see family dr she did all the test possible and everything came back normal mind worst at night but its always there day or night just goes and comes some days i could be find and next day its back every dr i see says am healthy and nothing wrong and always says its anxiety stress they gave me antidepressants and still i have the pain i wish i could find what’s causing this pain cause its not fun and its very uncomfortablesad 
    Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up