I have chest pains...and Dr's say there is nothing wrong

Posted , 57 users are following.

I am a 30 year old woman who has always been healthy. Recently the past 2 months I have had a chest pain and been to the hospital multiple times thinking it's related to my heart. They have done ekg, and echo ultra sound of the heart, xrays, ct scan, and of course blood work. Everything comes back normal. They say it's anxiety but after being on anxiety medicine and having constant panic attacks I'm thinking that they are wrong. I get a pain on the middle or left side(below breast) of upper abdomen and sometimes it's right in the middle of my chest upper chest..other times it's on my left side near my shoulder, it on my left forearm, elbow, or wrist, and sometimes back..they are quick pains that feel like a stab or shock that last a second or two but I'll get them on and off. Sometimes I can go a day with out it and just feel pressure or discomfort and other times they happen a few times a day. I wake up feeling nervous and shaky and I don't know if it's the anxiety or the medication causing it. I feel like I'm going crazy. My dr doesn't seem to concern and have an appointment with a new one. I also have an appointment with a cardiologist just in case but if they say it's fine what else could it be? I've read it could be shingles. But I don't get any rashes. Or it could be a nerve. I just know that I had never had anxiety like this before. Anybody have any thing that it could be? Please help with any ideas.

7 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hello, I too am a 30 year old female with exactly the same story. If something doesn't happen I feel like I might lose it no doctor has been able to figure it out the cardiologist said it's not my heart after having a good echo done. Now nerve conduction tests coming in a month I already missed two weeks of work i don't have much choice but to try to go back tomorrow and pray for the best because I'm not cleared by doc and undiagnosed. Did yours get worse when you'd try to lay down? Or activity even just talking straining at all?

• Edited

Hey jill,i have the same story,it may be pneumothorax, i had this 6 years before on the right lung,doc's said everything it's fine a million times , i was keep going again and again cause i was feeling that pain and everything was fine ,normal one day i endend up with a collapse lung and i couldn't move a finger , looks like it's very hard to diagnose ,now i have the same pain on the left one ,i have already been to many doc's and everything looks ok still ,i don't know what to do anymore i going crazy,hope the best for you

• Posted

I had chest pains at night. See previous post. I have COPD and Asthma. It seems the only way doctors can detect this is with a breath test. Its best to ask for a test early in the morning when symptoms may be worse. If your lungs have to much liquid inside them it is hard for the heart to pump blood through, hence the chest pain. After I was prescribed inhalers my blood pressure dropped 10 points, now its well in the normal range.

Two weeks ago after a 999 call they found I had a very large duodenal ulcer. This can also cause chest (and stomach) pains. I have been to the doctor asking for relief from these pains FOR FORTY YEARS. In the hospital the consultant said lets sort it now. I have had a good life but it would have been a lot better without indigestion every two weeks! Go back to your doctor.

• Posted

33 year old female. Started with chest pains a few months ago and ended up in urgent care. They did and EKG and chest x ray and ruled out any heart condition. Doctor diagnosed me with costochondritis, gave me anti infflamatories and sent me on my way. Still dealing with the chest pains and primary recommended putting lidocaine on chest and it helps a little.
  • Posted

Hi am having same problem am 42 and this started like 2 months ago went to emergency and all seam ok went too see family dr she did all the test possible and everything came back normal mind worst at night but its always there day or night just goes and comes some days i could be find and next day its back every dr i see says am healthy and nothing wrong and always says its anxiety stress they gave me antidepressants and still i have the pain i wish i could find what’s causing this pain cause its not fun and its very uncomfortablesad 
  • Posted

Hello I was wondering if you have found anything out I am a 32 male that has been going through almost the exact same thing the past 4 months , the pain just seems to get more frequent and more painful as time passes but they still say its nothing. I have gone as far as a heart Cath with cardiology , I've had a endoscopy down my stomach as well where they said nothing was wrong. I'm going insane with pain and the not knowing. I hope you get better as well and please let me know if you find any results

• Posted

Im 35 with similar issues i kept arguing with my cardiologist till he did a angiogram to 'make me happy he said' well ended up having 60% blockage in a artery. still having pain and he says not to worry about it

• Posted

Hi, I hope you're doing well. Do you have any updates ? I have been experiencing chest pain for the past two years as well and I'm just too tired of this. I saw 3 cardiologists and they all said that I was fine and that it could be anxiety. How is it anxiety if my chest squeezes whenever I run or do any physical activity ? Even standing up suddenly makes my chest hurt. Two years ago before this started, I was sixteen played soccer and did swimming and now I can barely move because of this chest pain. I really hope you found something that can help me too.

• Posted

I'd recommend having your muscles checked. If you have had multiple heart tests and they all are negative then they are most likely correct. Since you used to play sports that would also be a great reason to have your muscles checked. Chest muscle pain can be similar to heart attack symptoms but can be fixed relatively easy depending on how severe the pain is. Some people just need physical therapy while other need both surgery and physical therapy. I wish you the best and I'm sad to here you have been dealing with this for 2 years.

• Posted

Hello Brother. I am 19 years old and suffer from the same problem, all my problems started in 2019. this pain is very bad. Doctors say I'm fine but I'm worried. How are you now?

• Edited

mmm it seems this topic has no answers but only questions. Just like the rest of the internet. It tells us, we have Angina or Cancer! and then boom anxiety hits and they tell us its anxiety! Well no st Dr, i'm freaking out here! i got 2 kids am i going to die or not? i'm male 27 years old and have smoked from 18-27. shy of 10 years, I was sitting outside with my fiance having a cancer stick when i felt a huge burp coming along that i couldn't rid of. I came inside and felt very dizzy, my heart was racing and my chest was hurting and so was my left arm! Good old google said i was having a heart attack! Lovely! i rushed to the hospital and wasted their time and myn. Blood pressure was high but no signs of heart attack. Few days go by and chest pain is still bloody there? i go to the doctor and then he sends me to the bloody hospital in an ambulance, still got my $1000 bill sitting on my desk.. Hopsital was all clear, no signs of heart problem. next day he send me for a chest X-Ray, comes back beaut! so i take a few weeks off work due to the chest life that is. 2 months go by and its comes and goes as it pleases. ive already lost my job at this point for to many sick days, so my dumb ass finally gives up the smoking. it's been 5 weeks and 1 day as of today smoke free and my chest pains are still here. they radiate from centre chest to my chest plate and ribs and left arm! According to google i have cancer or am somehow still having a bloody heart attack 4 months later... since quitting smoking i eat very healthy, no junk food. 1 cheat meal a week and ride/jog/work out every day. i even take the kids to the park all the time. Dr put me on esomeprazole apote 20mg to rule out indigestion, It wasn't that. As i get deeper into a workout the pain is less noticeable but still apparent. Got more blood tests done and everything is good besides cholesterol is a little high "6" wants me to go back in 3 months time to see if i need medication. i wont as my health is improving everyday with diet/fitness besides this bloody chest. I'm going bat st crazy. i've seen the TV show The good doctor. Doctors miss signs all the time! As a professional i am seeking your advice after reading my long story. What step do you think i should take next eliminate causes. I'm going to book a new doctor tomorrow and a whole new practise to see if they can check me for Cancer. as i sit here right now at 8PM with chest pains that have had me bed ridden all day i hope myself and yourselves can find the answer, if you smoke, quit now. it doesn't take a DR to tell us that. Much love!!

• Posted

I would say check your stomach, you might have acid reflux. If that isn't the case then i suggest you gather everything left you have gotten, and take yourself and your family to a place with beach, an island, go far away from everything, life is short and it seems like everything that surrounds you where you are currently at makes you sick, so go live your life at the fullest.

• Posted

Hello, I'm 18 and have recently gotten the same pains in my chest and a weird feeling in my arm and I was very scared it was a heart attack and it baffled my doctors too. I had 2 EKG's and an X-ray which showed my heart was fine but I still had this weird pain on the left side of my chest. So since the doctors weren't convinced it was my heart but they couldn't come up with any ideas so I started doing research on the muscles that was in the area around my heart and found that pain in certain chest muscles can result in heart attack symptoms even if the heart is fine. I did some stretches on a muscle called the pectoralis minor (it stretches from near the heart to your shoulder and part of your arm. it is also non-life threatening.) and something popped (like not like teared but like was put back into place or back into a socket) and my pain began to fade away in my arm and chest. So I'd recommend having your muscles checked even if you don't exercise or lift heavy things. I had to figure this out on my own because my doctors didn't even mention the possibility of it being a muscle. If your pain is severe you may even need surgery on that muscle and physical therapy.

Due to the experience and fear of me having an undiagnosed heart issue I now deal with anxiety that prevents me from sleeping and makes me vomit but I'm now more relieved since I was able to figure out my problem on my own and basically diagnose myself. I wish you the best 😃

• Posted

I went through the same thing as you did, with test after test. Finally I was told several times that it was not my heart. They kept saying it was anxiety. I have had chest pain for nearly three years. I have been to the emergency several times only to be told that it wasn't my heart. Finally it was detected. I have an irregular heart rhythm. I have premature ventricular contractions. I will get an electrophysiology study with a cardiac ablation. After I left the emergency, I bought a stethoscope and within fifteen seconds I heard my heart stop and start twice, and jump erratically. Please don't give up and listen to what your heart is telling you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.