I have chronic fatigue and slow transit constipation

Posted , 23 users are following.

I have had IBS for 20 years, was diagnosed with CFS 5 years ago after a series of infections and extreme stress, when I pushied myself over my limits. I was diagnosed then with slow transit constipation and the reason given was long term use of anti biotics for infection has interfered with the gut flora,

I have tried every diet there is, with no improvement, and every supplement recommended, as well as probiotics ( although not taken at the time ), but this seems to have improved the  good bacteria but not the chronic constipation.

I have seen top nutritionists who have tried all the diets and supplements. I am on  prucalopride (strong laxative to make the bowel work), bisocodyl  daily, picolax weekly and peristene kit (like an enema).

The only option I have left is surgery so wondered if anyone else had anything similar to this?

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have the same problem every laxative I've had the persistene as well I've had this problem since I was 16 years old am now 42 and never been offerd surgery I have a slow digestive track and server constipation I can go up to 3 to 4 weeks with out going I have a new consultant hopefully he mite be able to offer surgery. Am in good health apart from this don't drink don't smoke eat healthy exercise am 5.2 tall and weigh 7 stone 10lbs nothing works on me it make me feel so ill headaches painful tummy and feeling like I could sleep on a washing line all the time so I understand how you feel wish people understood this more hope you get sorted it's nice to hear some one that is like me

• Posted

Hi Kim,

I was offered 3 surgical options

First option was the ACE procedure for antegrade irrigation but as rectal irrigation didn't work for me it's unlikely that the ACE would work.

Second was for a temporary ileostomy that could be reversed if I couldn't manage with a stoma.

And the option I went with was sub total colectomy, so will be left with small bowel re joined to the last part of my large bowel. There's a risk that I may end up incontinent after the surgery and if that happens then my only and last option will be a permanent ileostomy.

It's a big risk but I am really suffering, number of visits to hospital, I have had just about enough and can't go on like this for another 30 years.

Had my pre op now just waiting for a date for surgery.

Good luck with your new consultant, mine is amazing, he gets my problem and hasn't just fobbed me off but he has also been really honest and told me this surgery might not be the best thing but we won't know until we have tried.

• Posted

Thank you for the support Donna my life has been a misery so hopefully this new doctorwill offer me some thing like 1 of them three options anything has to be better then pain all the time cause nothing else has worked hope everything go well for you donna I know I Carnt keep going on like this for ever it make you so low all the time
    • Posted

Hello Kim, and Patricia, if you are still there... please try soaking whole flax seed in water. Supposedly it's golden flax seed, but I think my no, used the brown seeds. You put 2 or 3 tablespoons in a quart of water and put it in the fridge. After you get a gel to form, drink the gel. Yes haven't tried it yet because I'm traveling, but I googled it a bit and it is supposed to work well.  I'm looking forward to trying it myself,  best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

I had a similar problem and found that by using powdered Vitamin C, and gradually

upping the dose (1 tsp once a day for a week, then 1.5 tsp, for a week, and so on)

I reached a point where I exceeded bowel tolerance. It works better for me than any supplement or prescription med.

What I do is add the powder to a cup of warm water, along with honey to taste. The best part is that C is beneficial for more than just the original problem.

Best of luck, Koresun

• Posted

I see this post is an old post but is anyone still on , I have Slow Transit constipation and Pelvic floor dysfunction, I'm am also on bisocodyl, prucalopride, laxido, anti sickness tablets, pain killers, I eat very little due to feeling full up and sick, my weight is so low, now waiting on nurse to train me in peristene irrigation and also waiting to meet stoma nurse, I am off work due to being unable to be outdoors without being near toilet , and constantly leaking amd in pain, my whole life is affected , I would be grateful for anyone else who is goingbtgrough or had stoma , help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.