I have chronic fatigue syndrome and many other problems anybody else?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am a 22year old girl who try's to lead a normal life but my illness gets in the way, I can't do a lot of things like a lot of other 22 year olds do...

just wondered if anybody else out there has the same conditions as me as haven't met any body as yet and wanted to know how they deal with day to day life...

thanks for ready

Danielle

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just do what you can Danielle.  And stay as positive as you can by concentrating on the positive.  So for a long time I would think about all the things I was not able to do on any given day and that would make me sad, frustrated, guilty etc.  A counsellor advised me to just look at life differently so congratulate myself for the tiny thing I did actually achieve that day even if it might not look significant to anyone else.  Because other people who are not ill can do lots of things which don't take much effort for them.  We have to make much more effort.  I find that thinking like this really helps me stay positive.  Good luck.

• Posted

Well said Mo!

I was like you, missing all the things I used to do but now if I can manage to do something physical, like cook a meal or have a shower I feel really pleased with myself, as though I've just won an Olympic medal! cheesygrin

It's better to be positive about life than negative and even with ME we can still be optimists.

• Posted

Thankyou very much for that! I will definitely keep that in mind as I do think negative all the time and what people might think about me! I'll do what I need to do and that's all that matters!

Thanks for your comment

• Posted

Hi Danielle! I'm 31, and was only diagnosed last year, but I've had fatigue problems since my 20s. I really feel for you. The main thing is learning to go easy on yourself. Our society is so focused on achievement, but you need to learn to learn to take another path. Do things step by step. A lot of us become 'wise' and it's a great thing, but a challenging thing. 

People may not believe you, but be insistent. Provide information and recommend articles. You have a real illness and a right to be believed. Don't be pushed into doing things you're uncomfortable with, or that will exhaust you, because you feel you need to keep up with things. Your well being comes first. Do not give in to guilt! This is not your fault, you did not choose it!

Keeping your friendships is very important, but you will need to make your social life on your terms. I find organizing events at my own house to be great as it takes away the stress of travel but you get to see your friends and do things like watch movies and play games. I've found it better to let your friends know because otherwise they will be confused or hurt if you bail on them. Let them know that sometimes you have to cancel because you are having a bad day, but it's not because you don't care or because you're a flake. 

If don't know someone very well but I have to let them know, I say I have an illness that prevents me from doing certain things, but it's not fatal or contagious. I've found people deal surprisingly well with the mystery!

A top priority is good, nutritious food. What that food entails depends on you (I need lots of protein, antioxidant rich fruits, and greens. I also take salt tablets) You need to determine if you have any food sensitivities that are making things worse. A good way to do this is through the basic elimination diet which you can find with a quick google search. I dont' eat dairy or wheat, and am a lot happier for it. I know it sounds HORRIBLE but you adapt and find replacements quickly. (I am NOT saying you are allergic to these specific things and should give them up. It's just a possibility) You will likely benefit from certain supplements, so do research. Lactoferrin has helped me a lot, and helped me get rid of my fibromyalgia, which often accompanies CFS. 

I don't know how much energy you have, but you will be a lot happier if you can shower regularly, have clean clothes, and get dressed every day. Since I got sick I put greater emphasis on organization so it's easier for me to get ready. I wear very comfortable cotton clothes. 

I would prefer not to rely on this, but depending on where you live, Amazon prime is pretty great. Going shopping for basics is exhausting for me, so I order most of what I need online. Plus you get free movies and TV shows. 

I wish you the best of luck and if you ever want to message me, feel free! Hugs! 

• Posted

Some of us find it impossible to shower regularly, have clean clothes and get dressed every day towerbird. We all have different levels of energy available. 

It would be nice if I could do that!

• Posted

Thanks for you words!

Everybody deals with it in different ways and it effects people in different ways smile

• Posted

Very true. My main focus has to be on nutrition and if I manage to eat well, take my supplements, herbs, homeopathic remedies etc I feel that I've done well. It's a good expendecture of my little energy. 

I might look like a scarecrow with birds nest hair when I answer the door but I'm a well fed one! cheesygrin

• Posted

I'm sorry if my words were hurtful, Georgia. That's why I said 'I don't know if you have the energy for that.' All of these things take energy, and after a while, I considering writing an addendum to that effect but I thought it was implied. I know that I feel bad when people go into work life, because I can't work. I will be more careful in the future. 

It sounds like you take good care of yourself with food and supplements and that's the most important. I'm certainly not always up to par myself. 

• Posted

You weren't hurtful at all! You were just saying what helps you, and makes you feel better. I always feel better after a shower and a change of clothes when I can manage it.

I just wanted the young girl to know that it's ok if we can't manage it, as long as we're doing our best and focusing on something.

I do try with nutritious foods etc and I've been using new supplements lately that seem to be helping. Homeopathy is helping. I'm very hopeful about getting well. How about you?

• Posted

Does anybody else get really bad headaches? And not just on and off constantly?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.