I have come off Mirtazapine after 2 weeks, as my anxiety got unbearable, i was on 15mg.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have suffered with O.C.D for many years, and i have tried many

SSRI's to no avail, i usally take Diazapam 5mg. for anxiety.

I was prescribe Mirtazapine 15mg a couple of weeks ago, but found

my anxiety became unberable after 2 weeks, accompanied with

terrible tension in my head, i have been off them for a week and

i found the withdrawal awful, i have gone back to diazapam as

i cannot tolerate Mirtazapine. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It is amazing that even with only being on for two weeks you had horrible withdrawal, yet that is how mirt can be.  I went up from 7.5 to 37.5 mg within a month trying to chase down feeling better, and at 6 weeks I was dropped 20% and had a burning/numb sensation in my lips and tongue.  I am doing a slow taper off at 10%/month and even then I have withdrawal anxiety for about five days each time.  It has a reputation for being one of the hardest ones to come off of, especially if you've spent years on it.

I hope you find something that helps.  Have you tried any cognitive behavior therapy to address the OCD?  I read a book by a psychiatrist who does not believe in medication that there is usually some kernal at the core of it, and if your therapist can help you find it, you may be able to break the circuit and rewire a new, healthier one.  Brain plasticity and all that.  I wish you luck in whatever you pursue.

• Posted

Hey Betsy hi,

just reading of your burning lips sensation with wd ~ I've been having this for some time during my slow wd.  It appears alongside the times that the fatigue is bad - which can be around days 5 - 10 of a drop in dose ~ just wondered if you get this also with the 10% drop ???

Best wishes x

• Posted

Hi Calmer!  I was having more of it when I was above 25 mg.  Mirt is strange in that it affects a bunch of different receptors, some of which aren't blocked until you get to the higher dosages, so I'm wondering if that has to do with the burning lip sensation sort of subsiding now. In fact, below 27 mg I started to have burning sensations on the backs of my arms and shoulders more than the lips!  I haven't noticed as much burning "anything" lately and I am at 17 mg currently. 
    • Posted

OK, Im at 10 mg and still having the burning bottom lip, looks a bit yellow in there too !  Have you heard of this yellow before ?

• Posted

No, I hadn't noticed any yellow.  I know another gal who came off Lexapro too fast and has been in protracted WD for 17 months, and she mentioned yellowed skin on her fingers.  Odd!
    • Posted

I don't think it's the actual WD, I've had it since first starting Mirt' - I mentioned it to the Doc' but she said it's nothing to worry about.  Hey ho ... just another day in Mirt' land !

• Posted

Thank;s for your comments, i am going to try some alternative to anti deppresants,  as i cannot tolerate any of the side effect's, they make 

me feel worse the longer i take them.

• Posted

Someone in patient posted this and I replied, just some good info about non-drug ways of dealing with how we arrive at anxiety and depression.  I think in the UK and in the States, doctors throw us on ADs and anxiolytics as a first line of attack to depression and anxiety caused by stressors in our lives (as opposed to an inexplicable version....).  The drugs are band-aids - they don't fix the underlying causes!  I'm happy to see  that they are offering a program in the UK designed to help people change the abberant thinking processes that lead to depression and anxiety!

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/learning-new-ways-to-cope--486434?page=0&order=Oldest

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.