I have experienced constant stomach pain for the past 11 years. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

In 2003 I was walking off a soccer pitch after a game and all of a sudden I felt a pain in my stomach. 11 years on and this pain remains having never once disappeared.  I have had numerous investigations to try to get to the bottom of the problem but none have been successful. Medical professionals seem satisfied in describing my condition as IBS however I do not experience the symptoms of diarrhoea or constipation that predominate with IBS.

The pain is always present but becomes even more pronounced after food. Even on a low FODMAP, gluten-free, and dairy-free diet, the pain will always get worse after a meal.

Below is a list of everything I have done to try and solve the problem. Can anyone give me a new suggestion? I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get any enjoyment from life with this problem present. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Edward

Investigations / Diets / Treatments:Ultrasound Scan x2

Urea Breath Test x2

Endoscopy x2

Colonoscopy x2

Gluten Free / Diary Free Diet - 1 month

Low FODMAP Diet - 3 months

Reflexology

Homeopathy 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi dkenned,

Seems as if you have tried everything to get a diagnosis of what may be causing your pain...except one thing!...have you been tested for Helicobacter Pylori..or H.Pylori. It is a tiny corkscrew shaped bacteria that embeds itself into the stomach wall and the duodenum. The corkscrew shape helps the parasite to embed itself and hide. It causes dreadful acid reflux and pain.  It is quite common, and I am surprised your doc didn't test you for it, but as usual you have to tell them dont you is my experience with GP's. Usually the test is carried out via stool testing...go back to your GP and ask for the test....hope you solve your problem soon...best wishes...

• Posted

Thank you for your response lilian05079. The urea breath tests that I have had on two occasions have both ruled out Helicobacter Pylori.
    • Posted

Try probiotics!! I finally realized my problem might be yeast caused by over use of antibiotics and a couple of weeks after taking them everyday I had no more episodes. 
  • Posted

Hi

thats a long timr, horrible for you...do you take pain killers? Have they investigated gallbladder? This can go on for years and sone people have very sharp pain and ofhers a dull sick ache as I have has for a year...and am in pain a lot..with a lot of weight loss but luckily the gallbladder and the stucks stones in the common duct are coming out in 3 weeks....I realise 11 years is a long time but it is worrh asking fir an ultrasound........good luck

• Posted

I don't take painkillers no. The way I see it, I would effectively have to be on the all the time if I did because the pain is always present.

I had an ultrasound on two occasions and everything showed up normal. I don't know if they looked at my gallbladder specifically or if they just focussed on my stomach.

• Posted

Also acid refux and low stomach acid produces the same symptoms and 90 percent of the time doctors misdiagnosed it be ause they are to damn lazy to go the extra mile to help us. Its all about money to them .Keep you coming back.
  • Posted

Hi D, i have also been through the wringer and at last found out i was not producing any acid in my stomach. Take the test with a lemon. Squeeze 1/2 of a lemon and drink it . Wait a few minutes to see if it bothers your stomach, example ...burning, bloating, heartburn, pain . Any discomfort at all. If it gives you gas or bloating swallow a little sugar on a spoon to drop the acid back down in your stomach. If it do not then that may very well be your problem because when you eat your stomach produces gastrin and when it reaches a certain level it sends a signal to your stomach to release acid for digestion if no acid is being produced then that level of gastrin keeps rising and then there is pain and can cause bloating. Do not drink cold water stay at room temp. If you think it is low acid then drink stuff like cranberry and grapefruit juice together , orange juice and lime or lemonade. I start my day with a half of lemon and 2 oz water in the morninf and with each heavy meal. Even when i go out to eat i ask for water and lemon slices. I occasionally have a coke as this is carbonated and it helps clean out your colons
    • Posted

Thanks S. I will definately give this a go. At this stage I'm open to trying anything if there's even the slightest possibility it will work!
    • Posted

Try it. You wont lose anything and it wont cost anything. Doctors check this and that ti rule out what they think is the problem so you can too. I hope to hear from you again letting me know how you are doing. 
    • Posted

What is borax? The only borax i know about is to wash clothes.
    • Posted

I think it was some form of spam. The posts have been deleted by the moderator. I'll keep you updated on the lemon trick!
  • Posted

Dkenned, have they ever taken a stool sample? That's the only way to detect an amoebic dysentery infection I think. 
    • Posted

No, one has never been taken. I am trying to contact my consultant today. If I can reach his secretary I will bring this up. He sent me to a dietician and a low FODMAP diet has had no impact. Since then I have heard nothing from him..
  • Posted

Hi dkenned,

Have you been checked for a stomach hernia or hiatus hernia they can cause stomach pain. along with pronouced acid reflux do you get this? If you haven't been checked for it ask yr doc. A friend of mine had dreadful stomach pains for months/years and only recently they have discovered he has a hiatus hernia...worth a try...best wishes.

• Posted

Hi,

An endoscopy was carried out and I was told I do have a hiatus hernia. i was prescribed a proton pump inhibitor but it had absolutely no effect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.