I Have Forgotton How to Walk

Posted , 9 users are following.

Dear All,

I joined the broken bone club in December 2017 following a fall at home and breaking my ankle in 3 places plus the back of my leg. Following 2 operations to install 2 metal plates and about a dozen screws I am now informed by my surgeon that I can FWB in my training shoes which is great however, I can stand, walk with crutches (not very confidently) but I cannot get my head around trying to walk without them it’s like I have completely forgotten. I have told my surgeon and she says this is quite common and we need to wake my brain up again to establish this function.

I have physio again today and I am hoping that we will spend some of the session on this but I would appreciate any tips or feedback on how others got through this.

I know others have mentioned but some of this battle to recovery is more mental than physical.

I am wishing to return to work after the Easter holiday if my surgeon gives me the okay on 5th April but of course I need to walk first.

I am based in the North West of England and thought I was on my own with this until I came across this forum which has been great and given me comfort and a desire to get through this.

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just returned from physio and my ankle is swollen and now being soothed with an ice pack, don’t really have any pain just feels a bit sore from this afternoons session.

The physios got me to stand on my bad leg which I did for about 7 seconds which is not much but I will take this as progress. I tried to walk using the parallel bars however,  I was putting most of my weight through my arms, they then got me to attempt to walk with them either side of me which I sort of did, again it was not great but progress. I feel now that my mental barrier of my leg not being fixed or unable to take my weight has been 80% resolved. I did notice that my knee hurt and this is where most of the pain was, the physio told me that was normal as my knee has done pretty much nothing since my fall and they did push me in today’s session.

They are also arranging for some hydro therapy in a different hospital which they say will give me some more confidence.

So I suppose it was a good session and I will continue with my home exercises before my next appointments with the physio and my surgeon on April 5th.

They have told me to get rid of the boot for good and to not put it on again, so bye bye boot.

onwards and upwards but I just wish I could have the confidence or ability to put the left foot forward followed by the right.

I hope this feedback is useful.

• Posted

O yeah! What happens is I rest it, but it has to be elevated otherwise it swells, it’s when I get up from my bed or the sofa or from thevcar, it’s then that the pain shoots up to about 8/10 but then eases off to about a 4, it’s pretty constant really, the pain.

I’m presently on my 54th day of Exogen therapy which doesn’t appear to be working, I’ve been told by my orthopaedic that it’s likely I’ll need a bone graft. 

• Posted

Hi Darren, I am sorry to hear that even pain at level 4 would be annoying after a year. I was talking to a guy in hospital last week who had a bone graft (taken from his hip) a few weeks back which has been a success.

All the very best

• Posted

Kenny,

It must be comforting to know you are not alone in your struggle to regain normal mobility--- there are many here on forum cheering you on from the sidelines.

Ankle patients all have to go through a fear of the unknown as we take our first steps after busting an ankle. Some have an easier time of it, others not so much.

It's time-proven advice to take it easy as she goes-- don't get greedy or overly ambitious to do too much to soon. Remember, your ankle bits, both bone and soft tissue, not only got clobbered in your accident but they have also been dormant and trying to heal for a very long time. This is not time to rush in where the prudent would not tread.

That said, prepare yourself for a possibly long and sometimes frustrating rehab journey. Ankle rehab exercises are absolutely essential to getting normal ankle function going again, and to prevent backsliding into a chronically unstable ankle joint.

Pain of varying degrees is mostly a given in these types of situations. You have to go with the flow, and know when to stop or back off when it becomes unbearable or just too darn distressing. Pain management is an art that we need to learn, and above all we must respect our bodies needs. Don't make the mistake of becoming habituated to painkillers-- they can stunt the healing process.

If you would benefit by a light ankle brace and shoe inserts by all means do so. They will give more confidence in the event you fear your ankle will get hurt or give out on you as you go through early stages of recovery.

By all means focus intensely on proprioception exercises to help get your normal sense of movement balance and coordination back-- sometimes ankle injuries (and subsequent surgeries) can damage nerves down there that give feedback on your body's position in space.

• Posted

Thanks for your response, it certainly is comforting to know there are others out there Ona similar journey and others who have come through and can offer their own experience.

My pain management is okay, I am not reliant on any pain killers luckily enough I just take the odd one before my physio session.

I have not rushed thus far and have done everything by the book, I do feel that my ankle is strong enough to walk but as you say I will listen to my body and not take any risks.

My ROM is improving and my left to right foot movement is nearly back to full range, again another positive.

We are certainly on a long journey here and I foolishly believed that the walking part of this journey was the easiest, how wrong I was 😀

Are you still recovering or are you back on your feet?

• Posted

Kenny,

I am now about 1 year after from going full weight in normal shoes. Most of the time I feel like I am 95% back to pre-injury ankle status. Occasionally, that drops temporarily to 85% or so-- injured ankles are funny in that they can be unpredictable even with passing of time.

You really don't want to ever cross an ankle by injuring it-- they never forget that trespass, not ever.

One tip passed on to me was, when you are in beginning stages of recovery walking, to walk with shorter strides rather than wide strides-- it's easier on any damaged ligaments or tendons that way. Later, when you're better, you can get back into the swing of things and use your powerful manly walking gait.

• Posted

It’s really good that you have stayed with the forum after so long to offer advice and tell people your story.

Your advice about taking shorter steps is what I intend to do, I am in no rush to run a marathon just yet!

You are also spot on about ankles too, I think I sprained it a few years back and don’t think it ever healed correctly so punished me when I slipped on just 2 stairs at home.

Are you also UK based or in some sunnier climate? 😀

• Posted

Kenny,

I thought the same as you. I was NWB for three months. I was scared to death to put full weight on my bad leg, but I went at my own pace and I am walking with a cane outside only.  Inside I walk without the cane. It was my PT who helped me walk again without fear.  

Good luck, I know you  can do it. 

• Posted

Hi , thanks for responding, I realise I am not on my own on this journey and your advice and the advice from those who have come out the other side is so good.

I do have the determination to do this basically because I have to so I can resume a normal life at work and home.

My physio is also arranging so hydro therapy which should help too.

My foot feels a bit sore this morning but it did have a good workout yesterday at the hospital.

Thanks again, Kenny

• Posted

Hi,

I took a bad fall July of 2017 and I’ve recovered somewhat  but still have issues with my gait and balance. I have a plate in the lisfranc area that is going to be removed in three weeks. PT and both surgeons feel as though I will have a 50% improvement in the ability to walk and less pain.  My limp is significant and I can’t even walk a block around my house with my dogs.  My quality of life has changed as my husband and I love to travel and enjoy the outdoors. 

I had an open fracture to my talus,  snapped the tibia and tore ligaments and tendons.  This was treated by three procedures to stabilize with two plates and 14 screws as well as plate to stabilize the lisfranc injury.   

The worst was developing osteomyelitis. Antibiotic infusions for 42 days. 

I had no idea how much PT would help but it is crucial. My insurance covered very little of the PT but the $1200.00  out of pocket was worth every penny. 

I would not be walking today at all if it weren’t for my physical therapist. 

This forum has been the best support and has provided much needed real life information on this awful and complicated injury. Btw- I’m a southerner lol

Best to you on this journey.

Karen 

• Posted

MSK,

Your journey has been harder than many, many of us, I would wager. My sympathies.

You are so very right about physical therapy (PT) being the golden key to recovery in so many ankle injuries. I don't exaggerate when I say PT, properly done and done consistently forever can mean the difference between getting your old ankle back versus suffering years of chronic ankle pain and instability (that road leads often to repeated surgeries in an often forlorn hope of keeping your ankle working).

For those who are financially strapped and can't afford the luxury of professional PT-- do not despair. There are plenty of instructional videos and how-to material on the subject online.

• Posted

I started some seat yoga tonight to help manage the pain and found the stretches and breathing did help a good bit. 

I started the video PT while waiting to get in to see a therapist and you are correct in your advice to look online. Lots of good and free info. 

This has been a humbling and long journey but I am grateful I can walk and for my husband and friends. 

• Posted

Just a little update, I have worked a lot harder on my home exercises this week, lots of crunches, tip toes and stretches. I have also tried my very hardest to walk with one crutch and each day I have managed a few more steps.

This morning I surprised myself and was able to walk with one crutch around the ground floor of my house and I feel ‘epic’ it may not look great but I am taking that as a  huge step forward (pardon the pun). I have noticed some slight discomfort under my foot but I put it down to stretching the tendons out, I also get some pain in my knee on my bad leg when it takes full weight, does anyone else get this or did you get similar during your recovery?

I see my Physio tomorrow at the hospital and then my surgeon on Thursday so fingers crossed they see some improvement too.

I hope everyone else is doing well over this Easter holiday period, the weather here in North West England is very, very wet so it’s an opportunity to stay indoors and work this ankle and leg a little more.

Best, Kenny 

• Posted

Hi Kenny!

Great to hear you are progressing. My knee on my bad side also hurts. I'm guessing it's strained because of the foot. My hip on my good side is hurting as well. My PT said I'm compensating for the bad side. I think until we are walking normal again, we will have aches and pains everywhere. 

Good luck and keep up the good work. 

• Posted

Hey Gigi, yes I have an aching hip on my good side too. I am sure things will ease up once more mobile.

i will ask my PT tomorrow if there is anything that can be done for the knee.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.