I Have Forgotton How to Walk

Posted , 9 users are following.

Dear All,

I joined the broken bone club in December 2017 following a fall at home and breaking my ankle in 3 places plus the back of my leg. Following 2 operations to install 2 metal plates and about a dozen screws I am now informed by my surgeon that I can FWB in my training shoes which is great however, I can stand, walk with crutches (not very confidently) but I cannot get my head around trying to walk without them it’s like I have completely forgotten. I have told my surgeon and she says this is quite common and we need to wake my brain up again to establish this function.

I have physio again today and I am hoping that we will spend some of the session on this but I would appreciate any tips or feedback on how others got through this.

I know others have mentioned but some of this battle to recovery is more mental than physical.

I am wishing to return to work after the Easter holiday if my surgeon gives me the okay on 5th April but of course I need to walk first.

I am based in the North West of England and thought I was on my own with this until I came across this forum which has been great and given me comfort and a desire to get through this.

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well done, I can now walk (when I go out) in my black beckham boot without crutches, I use a ankle splint and old pair of trainers and crutches to walk about down stairs haven't heard about pt sessions yet got another 3 weeks before I'm back k at the hospital

• Posted

I have just returned from my physio session but feel things have rolled back a bit since my joy of using one crutch yesterday. My physio tells me I am still reliant on my good leg whilst using one crutch so she has advised I still use 2 until I start hydrotherapy.

I feel deflated and a bit low as the hydrotherapy May be 6 weeks away yet so the thought of not walking for another couple of months has threw me.

I see my surgeon tomorrow where I will raise this as my walking is the last piece of the puzzle and I am so desperate to do it.

Fingers crossed, Kenny

• Posted

sometimes feels like one step forward, two back but you'll get there. look for facebook group "broken ankle, leg foot ..on quest for normal". someone aimng to do hike in lakes in near future for all broken ankles from north west and nearish

• Posted

Hi there, yes certainly is one step forward and 5 back sometimes! 

Had and a good few days and have now managed to walk unaided around the ground floor of my house which is huge progress, not pretty steps but we will get there.

I will ask my wife to look at that FB group as I don’t have an account, would be great to take a stroll with others in this special club none of us asked to join 😂😂😂

• Posted

Hi Kenny!

I have taken those same steps. I'm now stuck with trying to walk heel to toe and look normal doing so. It's so hard to keep my head up and posture straight and walk correctly. 

My foot is still pretty stiff, so walking normal will take a lot of practice. I am doing my exercises at home, and PT is a huge help. 

Good luck! I'm sure you will get there eventually. 

• Posted

Hey Gigi, great stuff at least we have made a start, I am the same as you in trying to walk with good posture, it is improving in this short time.

I have found that doing calf stretches and standing on tip toes is really helping with my ROM, again this had improved when I saw my PT on Friday.

I have just had the pleasure of a walk around my garden for the first time since this happened which was fantastic especially with the early spring sunshine on my back 🌼??🌷

We must keep this up and progress will be rapid I am sure...

• Posted

Hi Kenny,

I see my surgeon tomorrow. It's been six weeks since I've seen him, so I'm interested to see how he views my progress.  

I have a list of questions for him, that I need answered. Hopefully, it will be all good. 

I'm looking forward to planting my flowers, but it may be a bigger task than I can handle. 

So, I'm hoping in six weeks I make a big enough improvement to plant without help. 

It's still wintery weather in NJ, so I'm looking forward to the sun on my back as well. 

Will keep you updated. 

• Posted

Hey Gigi, I am sure the surgeon will be pleased with your progress, please let me and the other forum users know how you get on. I saw my surgeon on Thursday, she was pleased with my X-rays and told me she doesn’t need to see me for another 3 months.

My garden is one of the goals I have set myself which I really think is working.

We have the early spring sunshine here in Liverpool although we have had lots of rain lately.

I love NJ and used to stay with friends in Butler and Wayne so have fond memories, you live in a lovely part of the world.

Best regards, Kenny

• Posted

Hi All, just a little update...

I have now taken my first steps without crutches around the house, they are not the best and I have a limp but it is still huge progress and it’s given me such a lift mentally too.

I was undertaking my home exercises prior to visiting my surgeon a few days back when all of a sudden I said to my wife ‘I think I know how to walk again’ something just came over me and I walked about 20 steps, we could not believe it as I have had this mental block for some time.

For those in a similar situation, please take comfort in this as you WILL walk again as only hours before I took these steps I wondered if I would ever walk again. I also believe that undertaking PT with a therapist and continuing at home will build your strength and bring movement back, I now do 3-4 sessions daily at home including a good leg and foot massage.

One issue I do have is that my knee is sore on my bad leg when I do walk which is the main reason for my limp. I am wondering if it is just waking up with not being used as it’s now taking my weight, has anyone else experienced this?

With Regards, Kenny

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.