I have gallstones, what can i do to help the pain?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, 

About 9 months ago i went to my gp because i had been waking up in the night with pain in the middle top of my stomach and back. It hurt so much i couldnt do anything! I cant describe the pain.. anyway he said i just had a build up of acid and gave me some tablets. They worked and then a few months ago the pain returned. I went back to the doctors and got seen by someone else she sent me for a scan, the results come back that i have 2 gallstones both about 2cm each (not sure if that's big) she said i will have to wait another 6 months to have them removed sad I went back today to try get some more tablets to help with the pain and another doc said i will hopefully have them removed in about 6 weeks! great news! ... so im still waiting for now to be refurred to the hospital. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea on how to ease the pain? (it last's between 1 to 5 hours) and what foods to eat. Thanks for reading. Kd

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Keep it really low fat with the foods. Lots of veggies and lean meat, stay away  from red meat, crisps, sweets and caffeine. I used to find a hot water bottle helped anand lying on my left side. Unfortunately my pain was only relieved with prescription pain killers so keep bugging your doctors for stronger stuff as they won't give it easily and it's not fair to leave you with that terrible pain! I've had my gallbladder removed now but just before surgery I was in pain constantly sad keep on at the docs to rush things alobg and then bug the surgeon and u should be able to et in quicker! No fun these gallstones sad worst pain I've ever experienced in my life! 
    • Posted

Thank you, i used a hot water bottle this morning and it really helped ease the pain. I agree it's the worst pain ever! I will give it another week and go back to the docs.
    • Posted

Please go sooner! It honestly does get worse and worse. I rang ambulances loads as needed morphine. In the end they got sick of me and took it out smile unfortunately it's not something that can be cured but eat if healthy should help. I lost five stone in between December and may because of lack of food. Honestly was the worst time of my life, so glad I had it out. Good luck x
    • Posted

Hi there

My daughter is waiting for an op she has multiple gallstones and she has lost 4 stone since August, she is pain constantly and been up A&E twice she has lost her appitite and just drinks water and eats fruit and a bit of salad. she is forever taking painkillers and now they are not working. she has been signed off work and awaits her op she has to ring the hospital every chase when her operation is!! its a nightmare xxx

• Posted

I agree with bluecows - keep bothering them until they take action. With hindsight, I wish I had called ambulence every day that I had the pains and I am sure I would have had op much sooner. The pains got worse and worse until they were absolutely unbearable. Do whatever it takes to get yourself sorted out!
    • Posted

Get in touch with your Local MP see if they can help ..You shouldnt have to be treated this way when suffering..Go to the BBC radio station tell them use all the tricks in the book adds leverage I did it once for something..Especially the nhs are in the Mire.
  • Posted

Good luck KD. I think it varies from person to person, but I found that if I ate anything with a high acid content, it was very painful. Such as tomatoes and citrus. Also, eggs hurt if they were fried (boiled seemed to be ok). Red wine was the worst thing - 2 sips and I was almost screaming. Anything fried or fatty bad. Cheese & full fat dairy all bad.

Broth type soups seemed to be good to me and plain crackers/bread (no butter). Sometimes it didn't seem to matter what I ate!

I finally (after nearly 2 years) had my op last week - in the end I had to go private because the NHS consultant in my area just wanted to quote stats about how 70+% of people with stones didn't need surgery, rather than listening to me as an individual and hearing me say how much pain I was in. Already after only a few days, I am feeling like a normal person again and the pains (which had become a daily torture) are away so far!

So, the sooner you get the op the better.

• Posted

Hi Kd

2cm is big try to avoid anything with a hi fat content when does it seem to cause Pain after a meal? Try drinking glass of hot water with you meal it may help the gut and peristalsis (movement of the bowel and for it to work more efficiently) as the gallbladder is part of the allimentary tract. Any gut pain is horrible.. It might help to take codeine Effervescent analgesia tabs 500mg these help as they are put in water and fizz up and work instantly... Worth a try. Take them as described on th packet no more than 8 in 24 hours...you can buy these in Boots over the counter.

• Posted

Thank you i will take your advice and try them out. The pain comes in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning.
    • Posted

Take the Codiene before you go to bed a 1000mgs x2 tabs will make you sleepy.. usually the gut is slower at night..from a lack of food..perhaps you should eat before bed ..seems like the GB reacts when empty. it secretes bile just after eating releases Gastric juices..Anti Spasmodic may be useful as Sally says.. Personally I think if it causing a lot of disruption go to casualty.. you may get admitted as an Emergency, should not be left really. is very uncomfortable for you..Nurse many patients post having this Operation over the years. Good Luck let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

When u are having an attack buscopan can stop them or ease them. As it is anti spasmodic and stops the gallbladder squeezing more bile out. 

I agree with everyone's posts on food . Your food needs to be so bland and not require a lot of bile to digest . So your stomach doesn't request extra bile from your gallbladder to digest fats and red meat etc. when it requests bile your gallbladder contracts and your stones get squeezed into the ducts or just rub against each other and inflame your gallbladder. I have said this before but Rosemary Conley had gallstones and invented her low fat diet to avoid surgery. She had surgery in the end .. Def no caffeine causes gallbladder to contract .. Hope you don't wait long ..

• Posted

I just had my gallblader removed, because of gallstones and had to endure the pain for about 1 year. I started to eat fresh fruits and vegs everyday to help with the pain. Stop eating fast food, fried foods, fatting foods. It healthy and workout. I think you should go to another doctor and just get your gallblader removed that is the best solution. Not trying to scare you, but I know a friend that waited to get her gallblader removed and is no longer with us, because a doctor told her to wait. When I foumd out what it was within two weeks I had my surgery and now feel great, a little of pain, but from healing. GO GET IT REMOVED!!!!
    • Posted

I agree sissybug22 ,,if you are in pain again go to A& E they may admit as an emergency.
    • Posted

I would go A&E but i will end up sitting there for hours and by the time they see me the pain might have gone and i dont want to feel like im wasting there time. Im only 22 so dont think they are taking me seriously anyway..
    • Posted

If the pain gets bad enough which it can... Causes you to faint , have continious vomiting etc you call an ambulance . Sorry to tell you this but it gets a lot worse .. You can't sit in casualty you'd be on the floor . So if it gets worse ring 999. Don't suffer .
    • Posted

Who is they Doctors? you are very young at 22 to have this condition? It may be a better idea to call the emergency services should help and take you in as an Emergency.. I remember once my daughter called an ambulance at 4am in the morning I had two paramedics sat on my bed..I suffered a Paralytic Ilieus.. Pain excruciating... also stones in the kidney colic severe pain passing a calculus..had that too! worse than heart attack pain. Relentless. Dont suffer and take things into your own hands GP is obviously lacking in compassion. He obviously is sending you through the system.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.