I have gallstones, what can i do to help the pain?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, 

About 9 months ago i went to my gp because i had been waking up in the night with pain in the middle top of my stomach and back. It hurt so much i couldnt do anything! I cant describe the pain.. anyway he said i just had a build up of acid and gave me some tablets. They worked and then a few months ago the pain returned. I went back to the doctors and got seen by someone else she sent me for a scan, the results come back that i have 2 gallstones both about 2cm each (not sure if that's big) she said i will have to wait another 6 months to have them removed sad I went back today to try get some more tablets to help with the pain and another doc said i will hopefully have them removed in about 6 weeks! great news! ... so im still waiting for now to be refurred to the hospital. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea on how to ease the pain? (it last's between 1 to 5 hours) and what foods to eat. Thanks for reading. Kd

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Anybody that has gallstones should get the gallblader removed. If you wait it can really hurt you in the long run or even kill you. It's nothing to mess with. Good Luck
  • Posted

I understand ur pain, im have an appointment on 21st August to speak wif surgeon about gettin my gallbladder removed, I havent got stones but have a small amount of debris on my gallbladder, I have been in pain on and off since last sunday, had to goto emergency doctors on sunday night and got a injection on my bottom and sent home, been in pain all day today and all ive had to eat was soup yesterday and slice of toast today, dont have an appetite to eat the now and also 2 scared , the pain is horrible mostly all up my back and top of stomach, cant wait till I get this out as it is affecting my day to day life, makes me feel so ill and tired especially takin co codomal everyday for pain, hooe ur appointment comes thru soon xx
    • Posted

Hi try camomile tea it's anti inflammatory . I lived on toast no butter . Boiled potatoes mashed with boiled broccoli really boiled so easy to digest and served with loads of gravy made with bisto gravy granules . I couldn't eat sugar , fat , I had to avoid milk cheese etc ... But the pain eased to a slight ache ... 

Buscopan if I got an attack. 

I had these attacks about once a year for 15 years prob passing a stone . Doctors treated it as food poisoning or stomach bug even though each time they had to inject me with anti sick . As I was in so much agony... I ended up a vegetarian who lived on potatoes boiled veg and gravy because anything else made me bilious or set off an attack.. So try the bland bland boring food then once it's removed yippee... I just ate steak chips and veg and I am going to have strawberries and cream in a minute . ( it is my wedding anniversary ) but before operation in February I couldn't of touched that menu ... Chin up .. Soon it will be a distant memory... 

• Posted

Aww thanks sally think ill defo try that! I have been in pain for last 3 years, doctor passed it off as indigestion so got prescribed omeprazole, went back cause pain was really bad, got tested for helicabactor that cameback positive so got antibiotics, didnt want to bother them goin back sojust really suffered up untill feb this year, demanded a scan as couldnt cope with it any longer, went for scan in march and thats where they found debris in gallbladder, was actually raging when called doctor tho for my results as receptionist said " o your scan was all clear" so had to gosee doctor face to face, just glad I found out or I would stoll be sitting here today in pain. This is the longest I have had the pain tho, I used to get itearly morning for at least 6 hours then it would go, sick of taking co codomal, buscopan doesnt help me really, ty for the advice hope pain away tomoro and ill be eating im so hungry but to sore to eat xx
  • Posted

tammi

... take Effervescent 

Codiene 500mgs X2 nocte fizzes in water and is almost instant when you drink it.

Tablets have to break down in the gut and disperce first and can make you feel nauseous.

At night this will help you sleep.. Buscopan anti-inflammatory ALSO drink hot water DRINKS or mint tea, instead of any other drinks this will help the gut and the peristalsis (involuntary waves  Movement of the Intestine which helps the food along).

• Posted

Ty dawn ill try that, co codomal make me feel woozy doesnt take pain away but takes edge off, and on my last reply meant been in pain nearly every day since last thursday not sunday lol, pain is horrid cant get comfy anyway I lie expect on all fours xx
  • Posted

yes 2cm is big!! 6 weeks is a long time to wait when you're in pain isn't it. you should ring the hospital and ask if he can put you on the cancellation list. My surgeon put me on his emergency list due to other complications, but i got a phone call on the wednesday telling me to be there on the saturday. it is the quickest way to get done if you don't want to keep nagging! When you get booked in, no one tells you there is a cancellation list, you may even find, as i did, that you get your original app't cancelled due to an emergency. Get on the phone, get on that cancellation list!!

i found a boiling shower for 10 mins with a couple of painkillers then sleep it off immediately worked for me, i would wake up a few hrs later pain free for a while.

i was told to eat zero fat. that's not healthy long term but it's never zero is it, it's 0. something.

try melon and yoghurt for breakfast. Lunch - pastrami, ham, ryvita, salad are virtually zero. It doesn't have to be bland, tesco everyday value salad cram has less fat than all the low fat ones i found.

for dinner i used to have pasta with just half a tin of tomatoes on top or frozen haddock, baked potato with beans no butter. or pour the juice from the haddock over the spud to moisten it..

these are virtually fat free and is what i lived on for 6 months as it's about all i could eat without suffering. You'll probably find that anything you buy with more than about 3grams of fat will affect you. if you try eating some of the above you may find the pain is much less. It worked for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.