I have had low iron for years caused by heavy periods. Can low iron cause headaches, anxiety, overeating due to tiedness/exhaustion??

Posted , 26 users are following.

I take Iron which tops my iron levels up 2 or 3 points a little. And when I stop iron, it becomes an issue again. I am 49 years old. Can anyone share their anaemia experience-and possible recovery? Thanks you.

4 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am a 58 postmenapausal woman with iron defiency anemia . My ferritin and hemoglobin crashes about every 6 months. Drs have not been able to find a source of blood loss. I take iron daily. It only causes me problems. I have had 3 emergency transfusions and iron infusions twice weekly for 4 to 6 weeks twice a year. When I am getting low I experience the following symptoms: shortness of breath, pounding heart, wake up with headaches every day, my voice becomes weak and sticatto. I cannot sleep at night. Utter exhaustion and loss of ambition, depression, I crave chewing on ice and have broken 7 teeth. My memory gets bad and I have terrible brain fog. I have half of the markers for Lupus, and inflamitory symptoms and test results.  I was in good shape, but now I've gotten over weight and out of shape. I am going to try giving up glueton and dairy even though I tested neg for cialliac. Grain producers are putting herbicides like Rounup on crops days before harvest to save ware and tear on their equipment. The rise in glueton problems has the same curve as this practice has. (See Monsanos 32 page document instructing farmers to poison our food days befor harvest.) good luck you all. Let us know what you learn.  
    • Posted

Share ur experience pls if u have same or cme acros any similar case.:-

Actually I am worrying about changes I am feeling in body. Could be side effects of multivitamin injections. I am taking multivitamin injections due to low b12 and have taken only 2 times so far and though iron test result are pending yet to come but my physician is prty sure about iron def too and from today only I started iron tablet.

After multivitamin Injections Iam noticing tiny shiny red spot. id noticed 4-5 such spots on my arms and two at my back. Is this a side effect of injection or what. Have u seen anyone getting such spot after taking multi vitamin injections.? And also after an hour of taking injection, caughing with chest pain and thick saliva kept coming out, thick sticky type. And then later same day tiny red spot. Throat pain.more numbness in head scalp something different.

Past record.

As per my physician, my problem was overweight 85kg and low b12 and iron def.

Iron test result pending because bone cracking noises indicating that it would be low, weird cracking twisting sound was coming from Knee joint. Phyician said its due to iron, she knows better. And My thyroid test report all was all normal. And b12 was also not too low, it was 274. CBC was tested But RBC was hemoglobin marginally low with b12 at bottom line of 274. So instructed me to have multivitamin injections every 3rd day.

Symptoms:-

I visited clinic due to following symptons:

1. I was having neurological symptoms of tingling and pin and needle sensation numbness on part of limb. But no pain. Firat went to neurologist EMG test was cleared.

2. High pulse rate 100 to 115 with no cause, foe that physician given me tablets. taking inderel tablet for that 40mg 2 times a day.

3. Muscles Weakness, was feeling tired and mild headache. Anxiety.

After injections I am more restless.

Thanks reema

• Posted

Why did you stop the iron supplements it they were helping you? Clearly these helped you and settled the problem. I don't understand why you don't continue with them. You should also eat plenty of brussels sprouts and liver.
  • Posted

Seems these posts are mainly from adults. However it is good to remember not to let children drink coca cola especially Cola Light. It contains E 338 which prevents the absorption of IRON, CALCIUM, MAGNESIUM and MANGANESE!  Children taking this drink on a regular basis and in high doses run dreadful risks and are likely to become hyperactive. It will manifest itself in other ways in adults no doubt. Just a warning to watch out for this additive.
  • Posted

godblessed I don't understand your post. If iron supplements help you and stop the problem, why don't you simply continue taking them?
  • Posted

Hi

Wow you have described exactly how i have felt since saturday, very heavy period from sunday to tuesday thankfully has eased now but also headaches, tiredness exhaustion (did not do much at all) only thing is i am the opposite and not eating much at all.

I was tested for anemia in November as i went to see my gp ref the above and he said you look pale but the results came back normal!

That didnt help but i got some iron tablets from the pharmacy and these did help with all of the above, wondering if i should start them again?

Any advice please?

• Posted

I am praying someone can help me out with this. I have a 15 year old who started her periods in Jan or Feb of 2015. For 7 or 8 months she did fine. She would get them once every 2 weeks at time or spot in between but her gyno said that is fine and normal as her body adjusts to getting them. During Feb till August she has heart issues which resulted in 2 cardiac ablations. Her blood levels were always fine. In early Sept of 2015 she started getting short of breath, dizzy headaches and a fast heart rate. I took her to her pediatrician who tested her and said her hemoglobin was low and started her on iron pills, within 4 days she could not get out if bed and her heart rate jumped to 186. Took her to the ER and she had a blood transfusion. Her levels all came back up and she did well for 3 to 4 months. We had her levels checked several times and everything was good. On 12/2 she felt bad and her hemoglobin was rechecked, 12.2. Great. On January 11 after not feeling well for days we were told her hemoglobin was 7, as well as drops in her RBC and hematocrit. And her iron was 27 and ferritin was 4.5. She was transfusion again. Levels came up to 11.8. Nothing was normal but all higher. This past weekend see was admitted because her levels dropped from the 11.8 to 10.2 in 2 days, then to 9.1 the next day as well as platelet drop into the 136 to 140 range. But her iron was at a 289 and ferritin was 18.5. The doctors have no idea what is wrong and keep putting it back on her period. She does not bleed to bad, 3 to 4 pads a day, never any cramps, for 7 days and it tapers as the days go on. I don't feel it's her periods and wouldn't her iron drop as well. She is on iron supplements anf has been since Sept. Please help.
    • Posted

I don't know what to say, but I will try...  

When i I was anemic from my periods I didn't think they were that heavy. I would have the usual 7 days, then often a few days of lighter flow afterwards as it tapered off. I had a transfusion eventually because my iron levels were so low. I was on iron about 18 months and started the mini pill. I have been fine since. Doctor checked me out and said I had fibroids. All has been fine since then for me. 

If your daughter is on iron and those levels are fine, and her periods are not too bad, it sounds like it could be something else. I think it's time to go back to the doctor, one you have seen before if possible, with all the facts in front of you. If your daughter is being admitted, and she is taking iron, they need to find out what isn't working and help you. Hope your daughter feels better soon. 

• Posted

From what I've read you need to demand they infuse iron til her ferritin is above 50, or she will keep depleting her stores

• Posted

This info is slightly off topic and you may already have a diagnosis, but when I read your post my heart went out to you because my daughter also went through a similar situation after she started her period at age 14. To save you from our long drawn out story, I will simply say...please do some research on Vasovagal Syncope. My daughter was finally referred to a pediatric cardiologist and after having a few test done she was given this diagnosis. It is unbelievable at how so many of her symptoms and health complications tie into Vasovagal Syncope! If it weren't for our amazing dr, we might have never been able to find a solution to help control all of the factors that she had been dealing with. She suffered some of her symptoms separately and at random times causing her discomfort and frustration cause nothing seemed to give her any relief. Then other times she would have a full episode that took a while to recover from. Symptoms that she experienced off and on and with no set pattern or reason for their onset were rapid heart rate, headaches, back aches, muscle fatigue, weakness, tired, sleepy, brain fog, unable to focus, weight loss, trouble breathing, wheezing similar to a panic attack or asthma attack (which she has neither), a heavy/tight chest, lightheaded & dizziness, nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, heavy periods, dehydration, trouble sleeping, muscle cramps, and light body jerks during the night, just to list a FEW! Her dr prescribed her...a beta blocker to help keep her adrenal glands from overreacting, fludrocort to help dehydration, melatonin for sleep, and an antidepressant. It has been a year and a half now and she is much better! This is still something that she deals with on a regular basis, but on a much smaller scale and manageable!! The VS diagnosis may not apply to your daughter, but the worrying and the "not knowing" is so stressful and I just wanted to try and help. It is truly worth checking into! Sure hope that your daughter can find some relief!!

• Posted

Yes, it could. You need to continue with the iron until you raise your hemoglobin to at least 12, which is normal for a women. My hemoglobin went down to 6.0. Needed blood transfusions, due to periode. Now up to 10, having surgery for fibroid Monday. Don't let your iron get that low, it's not fun.
  • Posted

I have had anemia problems for years and have never been able to give blood and have had a blood transfusion after my last child was born may I ask why you stop your iron tablets is it on doctors advice? Maybe you could talk to you doctor about a long term plan and ask him to find out why the problem keeps returning there may be a reason that could be dealt with I currently am low in iron again and it is due to bleeding from haemorrhoids and because of my period all I know its awful having low iron and anything you do I harder so please talk with a doctor who knows what he is talking about to hopefully end the problem as i finally have had enough and am finally seeking a resolution with my doctor good luck hun hope you can get your levels sorted
  • Posted

Can anyone explain this to me?  How can I go from no iron problems to needing infusions in 3 months?

2 different doctors, 2 different tests, 2 different ref. ranges & 2 different results in the extreme.  I know each lab is different but on a website that explains how to read these reports I found this:

Ferritin, serum   Conventional Units                    SI Units

Female               10–120 ng/mL                             10–120 mcg/L

Dr. M report of 5/12/2015           Iron        62   30 – 180 mcg/dL

Dr. W report as of 8/20/2015     Ferritin   6.3   10 – 200 ng/mL

Dr. W report as of 1/13/2016     Ferritin   8.0   10 – 200 ng/mL

• Posted

Hi. I too have anemia from low iron. I'm 46 and this is the second time I've been anemic. I have figured out I have heavy periods (change pad/tampon hourly for at least two days of my cycle) but it's all normal to me- never had a problem until three years ago. I had all the symptoms-- happy/short of breath when going up stairs, fatigue and having to nap between work and dinnertime, would sleep my weekends away, headaches. It took several months for diagnosis as it seemed I just didn't recover from a bad virus and thought I had pneumonia, so all the wrong things were being tested. My heart would race after walking from the parking lot. It took forever to build up my iron the first time - 3-4 months to get decent iron levels in my blood and an additional 2 months before my symptoms went away and I had energy again. The dr said that it takes longer to rebuild the iron levels in muscles than I n blood. So then I took iron-added well women vitamins until last March when my dr said to stop. She thought I should be fine now. But I started getting tired again this winter and short of breath when going up two flights of stairs, so I had my levels checked and my iron is back down to 19 and my iron stores are at 4. So I'm back on the iron pills. I figure it took about 9 months for me to become anemic.

It's so frustrating. I had gotten very healthy before the first time w anemia (10-11 fruits+veg per day, balanced diet with very little red meat), but when anemic I added red meat back into my diet and am now back up 10 pounds. I'm trying to make sure that I'm keeping my coffee, tea and milk drinking isolated to early in the day with my iron pills at night as I've read that coffee, tea and calcium interfere with iron absorption.

Even though I don't need birth control (hubby's 'fixed'), I'm wondering about using something to avoid periods.

• Posted

"Gaspy" not happy when going up stairs.
    • Posted

I have such a heavy period that I go through 72 ultra tampons and a box of pads in 2 - 3 days. My hgb was 5.1. Taking iron has made me a different person. I did stop taking it when I'd been on it for 18 months, and my symptoms came back. So back on it. I am debating an ablation, but am 48, so I'm trying to hold on until menopause. I still have regular to the day periods, so I don't think it's going to be anytime soon. Birth Control has a lot of risks at my age, so I didn't want to do that either. I'm good while taking 3 tablets a day, so I'm going to keep that up for now. Getting old sucks lol. But, it's far better than the alternative. Good luck.
    • Posted

I get so scares when I start flooding that it sets off my anxiety. For about a day, my period will get so bad that if i move, caugh, laugh, stand up....just about anything I will gush blood. It gets so bad that i have to change the super overnight pads about every 45 minutes for that day long time. I cant even work or leave house. Period is lighter for remaining 7 or 8 days, but that heavy day is so scary to me. I get panicked because I am afraid that it wont stop. I dont want to take bc because of the healtg issues and not into the coil. I am 46 and tryin also to hold off for menapause. Is this what you experience too? It is so reassuring to talk to other women that understand. When I read that the average woman loses about half an egg cup per period I just about passed out. One of my clots would fill half an egg cup and i pass those like nobodies business too. I ended up in the ER last momth at the end of my period because my heart beat was so rapid and hard. I asked them about my iron and he said he would chexk. He then said I was having a panic attack and that was the problem. When I asked about my iron he said he hadnt checked. When I got home I looked over my paperwork and my number was 9.2. He just hadnt thought it was important. I dint know if thats low enough or not to give you a pounding heart for no reason but I have upped my iron tablets to.twice a day. My period started again today and I am trying not to freak out because I know whats coming. Been going through differnet symptoms of peri since I was about 38. Hit hard when I was about 43. Have always had heavy periods but not to this extent until about 2 years ago. I dread it. Can anyone relate? I feel so scared and alone and drs dont seem to give a crap. I feel like I just get recovered somewhat and it starts all over again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.