I have had low iron for years caused by heavy periods. Can low iron cause headaches, anxiety, overeating due to tiedness/exhaustion??

Posted , 26 users are following.

I take Iron which tops my iron levels up 2 or 3 points a little. And when I stop iron, it becomes an issue again. I am 49 years old. Can anyone share their anaemia experience-and possible recovery? Thanks you.

4 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all. I am 41 and have the same symptoms as most of you. Breathless, tired, heavy periods etc. Just completed bloodwork and results show hemoglobin of 10.6 and my doctor said he wants to do a colonoscopy to rule out colon cancer. I am freaking out. Was this ever mentioned to any of you? He said iron deficient anemia is a symptom of colon cancer. Any thoughts?
  • Posted

I have pretty much the same problem. I am 49 years old and have had anemia for most of my life time. I had 2 blood transfusions and was close to getting a 3rd one. However, my question is does anemia affect your memory? I noticed as well as my family that I forget a lot of things. Do you or anyone you know have the same problem?
  • Posted

In my experience it did a lot worse. I just received an iron infusion the other week, states feeling great and then got my periods - went back to square one immediately so have to go back to the hospital. I was so bad, i started passing out from having low heart rate. For the past 20 years i just thought it was normal to feel so tired and anxious, i was totally blown away how much better i felt after having an infusion. I could breathe better almost immediately, and four days later i could actually jump - i was not able to do that for over two decades. My balance improved, my mood, concentration, memory... it made a massive difference. I didn't realise how strong i was either. I have a fairly athletic body, but was always made fun of by my family members for being 'clumsy' and 'tired'. Not so after that infusion. I was shocked i had so much strength in my legs!!! Amazingly, even doctors haven't picked it up, so now I'll just have to take matters into my own hands. I mean, this chronic fatigue and depression have affected my work, my relationships.... its just awful when i think about it. So I'm going back to the hospital to have another infusion, and will see if there is something i can take to stop my periods. I've had enough of bleeding for the past 30 years. No more. This has definitely given me an insight of what low iron can do to my body, and I'm not settling for second best anymore.

• Posted

I am also suffering from heavy periods problem. My hairs are thinning,brittle nails and dark circles are increasing. There is also leukorrhea problem .should I take iron supplement on regular basis?
    • Posted

Go to a hematologist and ask for ferritin and b12 test. You can have a normal CBC at your PCP and still be low iron. Im going thru this currently. Even if ferritin is a 'low normal' you can still have symptoms. The lab range is huge for ferritin like 12 to 200. My hematologist says you should be around 100. Mine was 31 and I've had 2 ivs so far. Hair loss wont stop until u reach about 70

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.