I have had vestibular neuritis for 6 months

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi people, new to this site but upon looking at it I have already found great comfort knowing that I am not alone when for so long I felt like I was. I am 19 years old and have had VN for around 6 months now leaving me with this almost constant feeling of rockiness and it has been the worst 6 months of my life. My symptons are almost identical to many people on this forum including the anxiety issues. For about 2 months I have been doing VRT exercises which seemed to help and lead me to believe I was on the mend but I am still having bad days and I still feel like I'm never going to feel normal again. Being 19 i feel i am missing out on alot such as going out with my friends. I am now able to do this regulary however when out I am filled with jealousy of my friends who are able to move about with no worries not that I would ever wish this upon anyone. I am gaining weight as i am too scared to exercise in fear i will make it worse. My friends and family have noticed that I am not the same boy anymore. Vertigo is something that is constantly on my mind and is a constant source of unhappiness. I wish you all well and a full recovery! Thanks everyone for sharing as it's not an easy thing to talk about.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there Kiernan03144, I know what you are feeling as my symptoms started on July 27 but the last three days have been better. I have been seen by an ENT this week and had a slight deficit in my hearing in my left ear. They are doing a table tilt test next and a MRI. I also went to see a neurologist yesterday; he ordered a MRA of my neck and other tests as well. My B12, although normal, is low, so now I am taking B12 to increase my levels. He also wants me to drink 1 gallon of water daily. My doctor stated that being deficient in these areas can cause head pressure and dizziness. I am also going to see a natural pathic to see if I'm allergic to the food I am eating, etc.

I am writing you to encourage you that it will get better!! I stay encouraged by praying to our heavenly Father and reading the Bible. I expect a complete healing and pray that all of you receive a complete healing as well. I used to be very athletic and had a personal trainer; I envision myself BETTER than I use to be. My best self IS COMING!

Have a blessed day!

• Posted

So sorry you are going through this, it makes life miserable for sure.  I had and episode of VN Sept 29 of last year.  Had no idea what it was, I was bedridden for a week, if I even moved I would throw up, it was horrible. My husband was my hero, doing everything for me.  It took a couple of months to get a definite diagnosis as to what it was.  The diagnosis was VN with an 83% loss of balance to my right side. So, I had to train my brain to take balance signals from the left side. Luckily we did lots of research on our own and I got into Vertigo Therapy about a month in, it was tough to do as I was having to hold onto the walls to walk, but you have to force yourself to be active.  I wanted to curl up into a ball and stay in bed, but that just makes it worse.  Probably not what you want to hear, but the more active you are the better.  The good news (from all that we have researched) is that you can get better.  It takes time to retrain your brain. It takes time and determination.  My vertigo therapist said to do the exercises 3 times a day - I did them 5.  I walked a lot.  We went away for 7 weeks over the winter and we hiked over 500 km in that time.  When we got home I worked out on my Strider (it's similar to an eliptical but easier on the knees) I did all of my VT exercises on the strider without holding on - a challenge, but the more I did it the better I felt.  Now 11 months since this happened I'm feeling almost as good as new.  I still have balance issues and cannot look up without getting positional vertigo, but my daily life is back to normal.  Don't give up, you can do this.

• Posted

Keep at the VRT. It's hard but it does eventually work.  95% of people recover.  It's one year this weekend for me and I'm feeling better but not 100%,  You may always have some residual issues. You're young so that is totally on your side.  I have good and bad days.  More good than bad now whereas before it was all bad days.  It's a very slow process.  Can take up to 2 full years.  Make sure you go to a really good balance clinic.  See an Otologist that can recommend the right PT person for you.  

• Posted

I found the thing that helped me most was trying to walk one foot directly in front of the other with my eyes closed for a few steps.  Don't fall over though.  It's really tough but i found it got easier the more i practiced and my balance improved.  Best wishes,

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the helpful and positive replies, i wish you all the best with your recoveries and i know that we can all recover from and feel normal again. People will never understand what it's like to go through what we are and thats why we are here so if anyone wants to talk about it feel free to leave a comment or give me a private message!

• Posted

Hi all, Im 40 and on 26th of  June I woke up with two very strong and short vertigos. After that I felt sleepy, dizzy, had some headaches from time to time, sometimes feel pressure in ears etc. I even had some slight whistling in one ear but that went away. I went to hospital and there they tested my blood, blood pressure, EKG etc. Everythng was fine. They tested my hearing and i was 100% ok on both ears. So it isnt Meniere. Then I was tested for positional vertigo (BPPV) and i passed that, also. After that they did "caloric test" and I was positive on Vestibular Neurits (left side). After 5 (not pleasant weeks since it also brought some anxiety problems, logically) I was woke up one day without symptoms. I thought thats it but after 2 weeks symptoms are back. Now after almost 3 motnhs I have good and bad weeks/days. But I know I will be better one day. We need to prevaild and to survive. It isnt a dangerous disease but it gets frustrating on nerves and changes lifestyle.

Hope you all prevail. We need to. I have 2 kids. I must. All the best.

• Posted

Hello.. Hopefully you guys/girls are still around.. I've been suffering with VN for 4 months on March 18th.. And I'm wondering if you guys are doing better. I can't get my mri done because I'm allergic to a lot of medications including contrasts so I contacted the ENT back after noticing that. I notice ear fullness when I have my bad days, dizziness when I move my head to fast, brain fog, lightheaded, depression, bad anxiety, ear ringing, unbalanced beyond belief most days, etc. I've had inner issues my whole life and being that I'm 18 I thought you'se would relate. Does this ever go away?

• Posted

Hi, i was just wondering how you are doing these days? Hopefully better. Please let me know. I just started VRT and hope it works
  • Posted

Hi everyone, sorry for the very late response I've not been in here for while but I a actually doing really well. Im over a year in now and im not 100% but im at a point where i can comfortably live life as i was before having VN. Im at the gym everyday including boxing. The VRT worked really well and was a huge help to my recovery. Something i felt that als really helped my recovery was doing things that I stopped doing because of VN such as boxing, going out with my friends regulary, even going on a 10 day lads holiday with my friends to ibiza. These were all really scary things to do and it didnt make me better overnight but it really made me realise how much this condition is metal aswell as physical. What i mean by this is that the more active i was the more it made me realise i am okay and gave me hug confidence in my recovery. I also feel this helped to condition my brain and vestibular system into living my normal life again. I no longer do vrt as i dont feel the need to but i know its always there if i need it. This way of recovery or whatever you want to call it is just my experience so it may not be the same for everyone but i hope this helps and wishing you all the best!

• Posted

Hi Kieran, thanks for your response. Did you have an imbalance that you were working on correcting? 
    • Posted

Hey, yes I did. There was swaying when i stood still with my feet together and when i walked it was like walking on a trampoline. My vrt guy got me to get one of them big bouncy exercise balls to sit on and do exercises with to help fix this which worked very well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.